Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 AM

Member #25486
Correct procedure for bleeding ALL the brakes

Hi

I need to replace the rear calliper on my 800 so will need / want to bleed the whole system.

Can someone outline the procedure for me please ?

Stuart
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
Just like bleeding the brakes on a car. Easiest if you use a one man brake bleeder bottle. Otherwise you will need two people.

The most important part is to identify which of the rear bleed screws is attached to which brake lever (foot or hand). This should be easy as you will have it apart to replace the caliper. So just remember which is which when you reassemble.

1. attach the 1 man bleeder bottle, or slip a small hose/tube over the end of the bleed screw and place the other end in a bottle/jar with a little brake fluid in it. That way as air bubbles out it can't return air back up the hose. The only thing being sucked up the hose will be brake fluid.

2. With the hose in place, open the bleed screw.

3. open the master cylinder appropriate to the line you are bleeding (Hand or foot)

4. being careful not to splash brake fluid everywhere, or to let the master cylinder go dry (therefore letting air back into the top of the system) depress the brake lever to force clean brake fluid into the brake line fro the master cylinder. Do this 5-6 times and refill the master cylinder. You will find that you have to refill the master cylinder often as these are long brake lines and small master cylinders.

5. When you are confident that all the old fluid and air is purged from the line, close the bleed screw and move on.

6. After all 4 bleed screws are bled, recap the master cylinders. You should now have good stiff brake levers at the hand and the foot. It will probably take a whole pint sized bottle to do all 4 bleed screws. Don't try to save the extra fluid for more than a week or so. It attracts water right out of the air and goes bad easily. On the other hand I recommend keeping it around for a week or so in case you find you left a bleed screw a little lose and need to top it back off again.

HERS:2007 Sportsman 700 EFI Black Metallic
Tamarack Cargo Seat, Fender Guards with footpegs from Thor, UNI air filter, Symtec heated grips
Warn 2500 with synthetic rope, ThermoTec exhaust wrap, Reverse Override, 3 Headlight Mod
26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

RIP Sarge (2004 Sportsman 700 EFI killed on trail 32, Rock House, Hatfield-McCoy)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:44 PM

Member #25486
Quote:
Originally Posted by KICKER431 View Post
............. 3. open the master cylinder appropriate to the line you are bleeding (Hand or foot)
Thanks for the response Kicker

I have had the brakes off for a while .. Can you tell me which connection to the caliper the foot brake lines connects to ???

Stuart
Old 12-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
Not until I can get home to look at my machines. Might be a few days. Or you could check the online parts diagrams at cheapcycleparts.com or Polaris.com

HERS:2007 Sportsman 700 EFI Black Metallic
Tamarack Cargo Seat, Fender Guards with footpegs from Thor, UNI air filter, Symtec heated grips
Warn 2500 with synthetic rope, ThermoTec exhaust wrap, Reverse Override, 3 Headlight Mod
26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

RIP Sarge (2004 Sportsman 700 EFI killed on trail 32, Rock House, Hatfield-McCoy)
Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Member #25486
Thanks kicker ... Will check those sites out
Have a great Christmas
Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Member #25486
All done .... Thanks kicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM

Member #32788
Anytime I bleed brakes on my car I just use gravity.. i loosen the bleeders, remove the brake fluid resevoir cap, and keep topping it up as it leaks out the bleeders. Don't let it run dry in the resevoir! Always works well for me, imagine the same should work with the atv?
Polaris OEM Sportsman Front and Rear Bumpers
Polaris OEM Hand and Thumb Warmers
Polaris OEM Black Handguards
Glacier III plow system
Front Rack Extender
HD front and rear springs
Wes Comfort LnR rear cargo box seat
Ricochet full frame + A-arm skid plates
Foot peg kit & Fender guards
Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4155
Another great way to bleed hydraulic systems is to use a MityVac. These are inexpensive vacuum pumps that connect to the bleeder screw and draw the fluid throught the system with a few pumps of the handle. It moves easily from point to point and all you have to do is replenish the master as the fluid is pulled through. Wouldn't think of doing it any other way. Your method may vary. - MarkC

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
1/4 28 bleeder screw
bleeding brakes on polaris atv

bleeding brakes polaris sportsman

bleeding polaris atp brakes
how to bleed brakes on 600 sportsman

how to bleed brakes on polaris atv

how to bleed brakes on polaris sportsman

how to bleed brakes on polaris sportsman 500

how to bleed brakes polaris sportsman

how to bleed polaris atv brakes

polaris sportsman 500 brake bleeding

polaris sportsman brake bleeding

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.