Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 04:56 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3536
Sportsman 500 Ball Joint Removal

I thought I would share this since I found the info on HL. Once you get your ball joint ready to remove, instead of using the special tool or making one to pull it out there is a much simpler way. Pump grease into the zirk fitting and the joint will just slide out. I just did this and was amazed at how easy it came out.

Here are the original instructions I found. Replace steps 6 and 7 with pumping grease into the joint and you are good to go:

To remove the ball joints:

1. Place machine in Park and/or apply parking brake. Jack up and secure.
2. Remove front wheel (s).
3. Remove Cotter pin and Castle nut.
4. Use a pickle fork or equivalent (I used a drift wedged btwn the lower strut housing and A-arm near the ball joint) to separate the A-arm from the Ball joint stud.

Note: Be sure to support you rotor with a floor jack so the outer CV joint (if applicable) don’t pull apart when the lower A-arm disconnects from the ball joint stud.
*Some may prefer to remove entire strut housing for ease of removing ball joint and pressing in new one with an arbor and press.

5. Remove ball joint cover Plate.
6. Apply heat to strut housing to expand material aiding in removal of ball joint.
7. Use appropriate tool or equivalent to remove old ball joint. I used a piece of adjustable electrical coupling pipe (min. 1 3/8 ID, 1 1/2 preferred) and assorted large washers (used as spacers) with the castle nut threaded on the ball joint stud to remove mine. Began cranking down on the nut and the pipe acts as a puller. Once I ran out of threads, I removed that length of pipe and went with a longer one or added washers, cranking down on the nut again.

Note: Be sure NOT to damage the treads on the ball joint stud as its imperative that the castle nut move freely and easily on stud or the whole joint will spin instead of pull out of strut housing bore.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3536
Here is a link to the original thread I found. Pulling Lower Ball Joints on my sportsman ???
Old 03-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #858
Thats pretty good stuff...i'll remeber that when i'm ready to replace....Thanks Bud....Muddie49
2" Ez install lift kit
26inch Zillas & 14 inch ITP wheels ..
Front &Rear Extenders
Polaris hand guards
K&N airfilter box system
My FenderGuards
EPI Clutch System. 2010 camo
SunPro Temp gauge. 550xp Sportsman
Xbow Gripper mount
~DOWN&DIRTY~
Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1634
Send a message via Yahoo to chopper89
that is a neat trick will try to remember that when the time comes.
POLARIS GUN CASE
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR LOCK AND RIDE STORAGE
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR GRILL GUARDS
ITP T7 BEADLOCK RIMS
ITP 27 XTR TIRES
RICOCHET A ARM GUARDS

Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3536
I was able to get mine in easily as well. I placed the ball joint in line and put a socket over it. I then used a BFH and tapped it in. I had to hit it pretty good at one point, but it went in. Took 5 minutes tops.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Member #3938
Thumbs up Front End Ball Joint Removal

IPAMAN, you are a lifesaver! I had to replace both of my front ball joints on my 03 600, and after failing to pull them myself, I went searching. I found your post, and followed the grease pumping method that you recommended... MONEY! I had both the ball joints out in minutes! I am not looking forward to buying new ones.. however. Thanks again, man.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:26 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3536
Sweet! The same thing happened to me thats why I posted this. I hoped it would help someone else. Mine went in easily using a socket and hammer.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 AM

Member #10145
Hello everyone. Have a questions, but first a little history that led me here. This past Saturday, I purhased a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Other than the ball joints and a few other normal wear and tear issues, the ATV is in good shape. The previous owner had all the oil, filters, differential oil changes, plug, service records, etc. Unfortunately, he feel on hard times and needed to sell it. I knew it needed some repair work, ball joint replacement, new brake pads front and rear, and some other minor such fixes/repairs.

Here is my main question: The right ball joint broke. I have managed to pull out the left ball joint THANKS to you guys. I know how to get the broken bolt out of the control arm. Vice and BFH will knock that out I am sure. What do you recommend as the best way to remove the remaing ball joint that is in the strut? I am thinking Heat, based on your posts. I will purchases a small torch for this today and try this after work this evening. Unless you guys have a better way/suggestion.

Second Question: What is the best way to inserting the new ball joint? Again, Heat? and/or combo of heat or just using something to assist in tapping the new joint into the strut?

I thank you all for your assistance and look forward to hanging out here. I have never had a four wheeler ATV, but am not unfamiliar with motorcycles as I have had bikes both dirt and street since I was 4 years old. Four wheelers are a slightly different breed.

I am looking forward to getting my Sportsman up and running to enjoy. It has 28 x 10 x 12 mudzillas on front and 28 x 12 x 12 mudzillas on rear, brand new, along with a few other features the previous owner added.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Member #35426
Sportsman balljoint replacement

My balljoint broke while riding on my polaris sportsman 700. After reading several post about pumping in grease into the fitting and using a peace of pipe and washer to retreve the balljoint casing from the strut housing. All to no avail. My dealership said they normally replace the strut housing for 287$!! As a last resort I used an oxycedlene torch and heated the housing for several minites, poured a cap of water into the case there the ball and stud once was, then used pliers to retreve the case with ease!!

I hope this helps others.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #17937
Remember to put the new ball joint in the freezer for about an hour before you put it in. Freezing it will shrink it some and it will be much easier to get in.

Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
2004 polaris sportsman 500 free diagram on ball joint replacement
2005 polarissportsman 500 ball joint replacement
how to remove a ball joint ona quad
how to remove how to replace polaris sportsman ball joints
how to replace a ball joint on a polaris sportsman

how to replace polaris 500ho ball joint

polaris ball joint removal

polaris ball joint tool

polaris sportsman 400 ball joint
polaris strut ball joint removal
removing ball joints from 06 polaris sportsman 800
replacing ball joints on 2005 polaris sportsman 500
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.