Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Member #34484
Angry 06 500 efi sportsman wont hardly run, backfires

Ok, I've been dealing with this for years now. At one point my sportsman sat around for about 2 yrs. I probably started it a total of 5 times. The last time I went to start it, it wouldnt hardly start, and when it did, it sputtered really bad when running. Then it wouldnt start back and the fuel pump failed.

I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plug, and fuel injector. That was two years ago. It didnt help. I even took it to a dealer to work on it. I went to pick it up, and it still ran like crap. He sprayed a couple of cans of carb cleaner in the air filter with it wide open and it ran good up and down the parking lot. I've rode it as much as I can since then, and a couple of times it seemed ok..for awhile.

Heres what is presently happening, which isnt much different than the past few years. I can get it started initially, but if you give it gas, it dies. I spray carb cleaner in air filter, it runs for a few minutes, then starts bogging down, sputtering, and quits if you hold the throttle open. I wear my thumb out working the throttle to try to keep it running. It will surge forward a couple of feet, then nothing...work the throttle, surge, nothing....if it does go anywhere, it backfires a lot also. I'm fed up.

Any advice out there? Besides pushing it off a cliff?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #33829
I would start by getting rid all the old gas and fill with new. If you did not buy it new check to see if someone added an in line fuel filter and replace. Check, clean or replace the fuel shut off valve (often over looked). Just had this problem with my snow blower. Shut off valve all gummed up.

Recheck every thing you already mentioned again. Also check for a strong spark, coil may be weak. Worse case, check compression, and timing.
FallLine ware bar cutting edge
Polaris Front storage box
Wes AR 38 Box/Seat-modified (Lock and Ride)
Rear fender guards with foot pegs (ATV SuperStore)
Ricochet Armor Anodized (ATV SuperStore)
Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #34040
The only guess I have is the air flow senser in the throttle body. Not sure if yours is the same, but the older ones had problems with the wires in the harness breaking near the connector plug. Mine (04 efi) has had problems similar to yours and I usually remove the throttle body and clean and it runs good, but I think I need to replace the pigtail on the senser.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11982
Tbap sensor wiring harness , take seat off, pull and twist on t-bap harness, take wires out of harness and check for broken wires, they sell a better replacement for it on e-bay, heavier wires,
Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1958
Where you at in Kentucky hiljak? I'll come buy it and you won't have to worry with it anymore.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Member #34484
Thanks guys, got it fixed today!! It was the tbap wiring harness causing all the trouble. I got lucky too, because my polaris dealer is also a large car dealership. They didnt have the part in stock, but he went to the garage and found a plug that fit perfectly from some hyundai car. Either way, after 3 yrs i can finally ride again, and I can put some miles on this thing. 210 miles on an 06, it need it!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page

05 polaris ranger will not start got fuel,spark and air. when parked it it was backfiring and missing

2005 polaris ranger fuel injection backfire

2005 polaris ranger that backfires when it does start but dosnt always start

2005 polaris sportsman 500 backfires

back fires

fuel surge

polaris 500 efi running bad

polaris atv poor running

polaris efi sportsman does not start

polaris sportsman 500 backfiring

polaris sportsman 500 efi backfiring

sportsman 500 wont start just backfires

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.