Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #33462
winch freewheel knob just spins ****UPDATE****

Went to freewheel my winch and turned the free spool knob and it just spins around in either direction. It was a little tough for a second then just spins. Its so loose you can spin it with the flick of your finger. The winch still works as normal in and out with the handlebar switch.
I used to have issues getting it to unlock so I would just use the button.
Any ideas? Anyone know the warranty term. The winch was mounted November 2011.
Thanks.
2012 Sportsman 800 - 27" Mud Gear Tires, 12" Black SS212 Wheels, Pure Polaris 2500# Winch, CSE Offroad Viper Synthetic Rope Kit, Pure Polaris Front & Rear Bumpers, UNI Air Filter, All Balls Wheel Bearings, All Balls Suspension Bushings, Spring Spacers, 3 headlight mod, Heat Demon Dual Zone Heated Grips w/ thumb warmer, Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition, more to come....
"Ride it like ya stole it!"
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence!
http://www.youtube.com/user/b000yaaah

Last edited by SickPupSean; 04-21-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29059
Is it the Pure Polaris Winch listed in your signature?

Sounds like either the knob or something intermal stripped / broke. I think the only way to know for sure would be to pull it apart and see. This link may help: POLARIS 2500 LB. WINCH REPLACEMENT PARTS from Polaris ATV Accessories & Apparel 2008

2012 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED)
Mods: Polaris 2500HD Winch - Glacier 3 60" Plow System - Front & Rear Rack Extensions - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - Low Profile Windshield - Warning Decals Debadge - 3 Way Head Light (Relay) - Homemade "Lock&Ride" Tie Downs - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Kolpin KXP Rhino Double Gun Rack - Madd Dog Chainsaw Holder - Kolpin Rear Seat/Storage Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" ITP Mud Lite Tires

2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - Polaris Hand Guards - WES Ind. Rear Seat/Storage Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - 25" Kenda K590 Tires

Son's: 2012 TaoTao 125D (BLUE/BLACK)

Past Machines:
His/Then Hers: 2000 Honda Rancher 350 ES 4X4 - Red (SOLD)
His: 2005 Honda Foreman 500 ES 4X4 - Red (SOLD)

Daily Drivers:
His: 2009 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Z71 4X4 6.0L
Her's: 2007 GMC Yukon Denali AWD 6.2L
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #33462
Yeah its the Pure Polaris 2500# HD Winch.
It almost feels like the knob is stripped where it connects to the winch. There is zero resistance and just freely spins left or right.
I'm taking it apart tonight to see what's up.
2012 Sportsman 800 - 27" Mud Gear Tires, 12" Black SS212 Wheels, Pure Polaris 2500# Winch, CSE Offroad Viper Synthetic Rope Kit, Pure Polaris Front & Rear Bumpers, UNI Air Filter, All Balls Wheel Bearings, All Balls Suspension Bushings, Spring Spacers, 3 headlight mod, Heat Demon Dual Zone Heated Grips w/ thumb warmer, Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition, more to come....

Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29059
Good Luck...

I want to say a Pure Polaris winches have a 1 year mechanical warranty and a 30-90 day electrical warranty..... but I don't recall exactly??

2012 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED)
Mods: Polaris 2500HD Winch - Glacier 3 60" Plow System - Front & Rear Rack Extensions - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - Low Profile Windshield - Warning Decals Debadge - 3 Way Head Light (Relay) - Homemade "Lock&Ride" Tie Downs - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Kolpin KXP Rhino Double Gun Rack - Madd Dog Chainsaw Holder - Kolpin Rear Seat/Storage Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" ITP Mud Lite Tires

2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - Polaris Hand Guards - WES Ind. Rear Seat/Storage Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - 25" Kenda K590 Tires

Son's: 2012 TaoTao 125D (BLUE/BLACK)

Past Machines:
His/Then Hers: 2000 Honda Rancher 350 ES 4X4 - Red (SOLD)
His: 2005 Honda Foreman 500 ES 4X4 - Red (SOLD)

Daily Drivers:
His: 2009 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Z71 4X4 6.0L
Her's: 2007 GMC Yukon Denali AWD 6.2L
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #33462
All apart winch out. Now to see what's wrong.

Here's a video of how the knob just spins.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:44 PM

Member #35683
worthless winch

what did you determine was wrong, what was the fix? I have the same problem with mine. they are telling me that the solution is the purchase of a new winch.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #33462
Quote:
Originally Posted by saSmith View Post
what did you determine was wrong, what was the fix? I have the same problem with mine. they are telling me that the solution is the purchase of a new winch.
Haven't had a chance to look yet got sick and am crippled on the couch with the stomach bud. I'll post and update as soon as I figure it out

Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #33462
******update problem found******

So the cause of the knob freely spinning with no resistance is because the 3 tabs on the back of the knob sheared off. See pic

The 3 tabs fit into the inner piece of the knob that gets screwed to the outer knob.
Without the 3 tabs the outer knob can't turn the internal plastic piece used to unlock the winch.

See pic

So basically people with this same issue have been throwing away good winches because of a $2 part...
Ordering the parts today then I'll update again on the end result.
I strongly believe that this is the issue.
Be back soon!
Sean

Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #33462
K so I can't find parts for the newer winches made by polaris. I can only find parts up to 2010. Not sure if it will be the same part...
Soooo.... since I'm going to Hatfield McCoy Trails in 2 weeks I looked for another solution.
Here's what I came up with. Not exactly how I like to fix things but surprisingly it worked.

If you look at the above picture I took the small part that goes inside the housing and screwed 3 sheet metal screws into the slots where the blades of the knob are supposed to go. Then removed the screws.

Then from the backside of the knob I screwed the same 3 screws centered between the blades through the knob. Then removed the screws. Basically making pilot holes.

Then I installed the inner piece into the hole in the housing and mounted the knob back in place outside.
I installed a larger sheet metal screw then the original into the center of the back of the knob through the inner piece. Turned the housing over and then screwed the 3 screws through the knob and into the inner piece.
See pics below.

I'm going to order the knob from the winch part number I found but this is a temp fix until then. It works great so far. Reinstalled the winch and everything works as it should. It locks and unlocks to freespool just like it should.

Hopefully the knob I'm ordering will work otherwise this will have to be a permanent fix...
Hope this helps anyone with this issue...
Sean

Old 07-22-2013, 05:27 AM

Member #37616
By chance did you happen to find a replacement part? My free spool knob broke identical to your pictures and i've been looking all over trying to find a part number but no luck.

Py

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page

2012 polaris winch freespool knob

`how to unlock freespool on winch

broken winch knob
how to free spin polaris atv winch

polaris 3500 winch free spool knob

polaris winch 2500 free spool nob

polaris winch free spool knob broke

turn knob for polaris winch

warn winch replacement free wheel knob

winch does not spin free

winch free spool knob

winch wheel spinner knob

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.