Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:26 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1752
2007 500 Sportsman EFI starting problem!!!

Guys,

I am having a problem with a 500 EFI Sportsman. It has less than 50 hours on it and just over 100 miles. It started this winter ... got VERY hard to start. Had probably been rained on. Then it got worse.

Lately, it hums the pitch goes up, it clicks a few times, and the cycle repeats. During all of this the console display does not come on. Eventually, it does and then the bike will start. If it is allowed to run a while and then left for an hour or so it will start after only a cycle or two of this noise.

Once started the bike runs pretty well and can be driven around.

I put the battery on a battery tender as this stuff has affected the battery. If it is not on a tender the battery goes pretty quick.

I did replace the battery and it did not help much. The starter speed is much improved but only after going through this cycling until the display comes on.

I am guessing that there must be some sort of fuel problem involving the loss of fuel pressure in the piping.

Can someone PLEASE give me some likely causes and how to fix them?

Thank you!

Mike
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:30 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1752
Guys,

The low pitched hum appears to be the fuel pump and the clicking seems to be in the area of the injector block.

I also note that I do not get the clicks if I try to start the machine with it set to 4WD rather than 2WD. Any help?

Got it started after maybe three or 4 minutes of total time going through this startup nonsense yesterday. Ran it a while, shut it off, and it restarted instantly.

Ran it around the property for a while until it got warm enough to turn on the radiator fan. It sat maybe three hours and immediately restarted. This morning it will not start again.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by eastern_hunter; 04-14-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
well, this is kinda a mess. let me think out loud here.

so when you turn the key on, but not try to start it, you should hear the low hum, and that would be the fuel pump priming the system....thats normal.

the clicking you are hearing is probably the start solenoid clicking back and forth (normal if the battery is weak on amperage)

if the hum you sometimes hear is higher pitched and fast, that would be the starter spinning, but if its not starting, then that means the bendix is not engaging the flywheel.
so at this point, i wonder if you starter bendix is either damaged or not being thrown out to the flywheel. do you have a pretty good idea what i mean by that?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1752
New data ... still need help!

Have been out on family vacation at Disney in Florida.

Before I left, I chained the ATV up and covered it with a tarp as it would not start and the barn is up a hill.

Got back and uncovered it on a rather warm afternoon. For the heck of it, I popped in the key and turned it on. Within 20 seconds or so I had an active console. It fired immediately and ran fine.

Later that afternoon it took longer to get the active console but again fired and ran fine.

This morning while it was still a little cool, I could not get the active console in 30-45 seconds.

Sounds to me like a bad temperature sensor? Is one of these involved in the startup sequence for an FI engine?

Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page

2007 polaris 500 efi problems

2007 polaris ranger starter problems
2007 polaris ranger will not start
2007 polaris sportsman 500 efi troubleshooting

2007 polaris sportsman 500 efi wont start

2007 polaris sportsman 500 wont start

2011 500 efi polaris will turn over but wont start
changing selinoid on 2007 polaris 500
polaris 500 efi problems
polaris ranger 500 starter problems
polaris sportsman 500 efi problems
starting problem2007polaris 500atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.