Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 700 EFI high fuel pressure problem

25K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  1Hdslider 
#1 ·
I have had some problems with my ATV. The dealer said it is a problem with the fuel injection pump regulator. Of course, I decided to check the pressure myself. Here is what I get. I know the manual says the pressure should be 39psi. When I turn on my key and the fuel pump kicks on, I get less than 39psi, close to 20 - 30psi. When I start it, it slowly creeps up. After running it for about 10 minutes, it is up to 70psi and my exhaust manifold is glowing red. Can someone confirm I need to buy a $493 fuel tank/fuel pump? Also, why would the exhaust manifold glow red hot? This is one symptom, as I continue to run the bike, it will start acting like it is starving for fuel, as if a vapor lock occurred.

2005 sportsman 700 efi.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

#4 ·
Fuel Pressure

when the fuel pressure goes up it atomizes the fuel more, meaning a finer spray mist into the cylinder you will get better mileage,but a leaner mixture will also cause higher temp in the exhaust. Engine timing with the electronics needs to adjust for this and is not set up for it
I have been shopping for a regulator for my bike for a couple days now and no luck except on ebay and somebody else got the bid but u had to buy the whole thing meaning pump/ regulator/ sending unit/ and it was used.but at 45$ thats cheap.If i find one ill post it.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.