Polaris ATV Forum banner

500 wirth EBS primary clutch question

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Race14 
#1 · (Edited)
My 500 HO started "Tractoring" on me and I smelt the belt burn, so I purchased a new belt for it. My 500 has Engine Braking System (EBS)
I pulled belt, got to noticing my Primary Drive clutch felt easy to compress so I pulled it and was looking it over.

I noticed the drive plated had small fractures around the slide (center) of the hub. Someone told me that have seen New ones come from the factory like this. Doesn't sound right to me but I am wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of this, before I spend $500 on a new one.

Thanks!!

Oh I'v updated this with pictures of the CRACKS...:aargh4:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are stress and heat cracks. Not a good sign. If the cracks get too big,and you run the bike at high rpm's a lot, the clutch will explode shooting clutch parts everywhere even sometimes through the clutch cover.
My clutch has two similar cracks and once I saw how expensive the clutches were, I decided to try something. I just putt around with mine so I figured I was OK.
I did what you would do to repair a windshield. I drilled a tiny hole at the end of the crack , so it can't get any bigger. I've checked it in the spring and fall since and the cracks haven't grown at all.
I'm not saying do it this way because it is dangerous if it explodes while your driving but that's what I did so far.
I intended on buying a new clutch as soon as I saw the cracks .... I haven't driven it too much in the last year though so you forget about those things.
Good luck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.