Polaris ATV Forum banner

2001 Polaris 500 H.O. shifter

14K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  faulkner 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, just picked up a 2001 sportsman 500 last week. I'm trying to fix all the small stuff before I go out on any long rides. I noticed one of the rod seals in the shifted was leaking. Does anyone know what fluid goes in the shifter? I ordered the seals today and have been searching on google, but have had no luck finding what to put in the shifter. The other thing is sometimes when you put it in the forward gear and give it gas, it starts moving and you feel a slight clunk from the clutches. It dosen't happen every time and I haven't had a chance to take it apart and look at it yet. I was just wondering if there is any common issues. Any suggestion on problem areas to inspect??

Thanks,

#4 ·
Is there a fill port somewhere? did you get another used shifter or new? There seems to be a lot of after market parts for there. I just picked up a aftermarket O ring kit for the hand brake (hope it fixes it) then I noticed after that I could have bought the whole assembly for $100.

Thanks

#7 ·
Its not the boot thats leaking, its coming out aroud one of the rods. I have to go and pick up some new seals tomorrow for it. I filled it with motor oil and is feels smoother, maybe when I replace the seals this weekend Ill try a heavier oil. Got the new seal kit in the hand brake and bleed it on my lunch break. Working awsome!!!!

Thanks

#8 ·
They normally specify to fill just above the shifter rods and use a multigrade oil(10W-30) or whatever you have laying around.

#9 ·
The inner o ring was leaking on mine, to get it you have to take a pin out it was pressed in and we could not get it out so we bought a box and split the old to get the rods.

#12 ·
I hate to be a pain in butt, any chance if your not busy sometime you could take a few pictures for me of how they run on yours and what way the rear rod is attatched to the transmission? Im wondering if the old owner bolted the longer rod in the wrong way. There is a lot of tension between the rods when the shifter is in certain positions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.