Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 05:42 PM

Member #21936
Question battery issues

Last ran my quad 2 weeks ago, its kept in an uninsulated shed at the camp i own. temps since then have been in the 10+'s and 20's. went to camp tonite to make sure everything is OK for a ride im going on tomorrow(FIRST SNOW FALL!) and there wasnt enough juice to turn the machine over. pushed the quad into camp so im near an electric outlet in the morning and will plan on jumping it with a battery tender and letting it idle for 30 or 45 minutes to recharge the battery before loading it up in the truck and taking it to where im riding.

My question is, is it normal for that low of temps to be killing my battery? or do you think there is an issue with the battery? I leave the killswitch in the off position when its parked for long periods of time. During my regular summer maintenance i made sure the battery was refilled with distilled water so that shouldnt be an issue.

Thanks for any future insights.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6696
those temps shouldnt effect your battery at all only when its really cold -30+ i leave my quads outside and never had a problem with a good battery freezing or losing enough power that i couldnt start my machine until below -35 then i get a couple cranks n shese dead ....have you load tested your battery????....i had a new battery in my quad before it got impounded and it was impounded most of the winter weaks of -40c and in the spring when i got it out it fired right up....have you ever froze your battery? to the point where cells might be cracked and then u lose alot of your voltage and it might start in warm conditions but not in cold
Modified stock exhaust
Polaris white primary spring
Three LED marker lights on back of rear box
27" Zillas On ITP SS212 Machined Rims
HID Fog/Driving Lights Wired To High Beam
Highlifter front and back HD springs
Front and back rack extenders
Synthetic winch rope
1999 Kodiak 400
completely stock so far and unbreakable
Old 11-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #39299
Age and parked without a tender charger can do a number on a battery. The an AGM battery next time because they do not self discharge at the rate of a FLA battery assuming that is what you currently have. If the battery is dying not sure what idling will help. If the battery is failing it may not take a charge very well.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #39729
Definitely keep it on a battery tender if it will sit for an extended period of time. And I would, for good measure, have the battery tested before you go for any type of long ride. It might leave you stranded

I had a Yamaha warrior start fine, maybe a little slower than normal but ok in my eyes. Rode for an hour and stopped for a break. Got back on and click click click nothing. Good thing was I was able to bump start it. Unfortunately we don't have that luxury with these machines
2014 Sportsman 570 - WARN RT30 winch/ KFI mount, Symtec heated grips, STI Black Diamonds, STI HD beadlocks, Acerbis ATV hand guards, Polaris HD Springs, homemade "Lock & Ride" cooler rack, Polaris Lo-pro windshield (winter), more to come....

2012 HD Street Bob
2008 Honda CRF 250R- SOLD
2006 KTM 250 XC-W -SOLD
2002 Suzuki RM 250 -SOLD
2001 Yamaha Warrior -SOLD
1996 Yamaha Blaster -SOLD
1994 Honda XR 100R -SOLD
1976 Yamaha DT 175 - First Bike

Last edited by Kme743; 11-28-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Member #21936
looks like ill be stopping for a new battery in the morning and having a load test done on the old one. Wouldnt hurt to have an extra battery anyways.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6696
oh i forgot check ur batt terminals to make sure connections are tight if there a little loose the quad will start and run sometimes but not charge the battery so next time you go to start it its dead
Modified stock exhaust
Polaris white primary spring
Three LED marker lights on back of rear box
27" Zillas On ITP SS212 Machined Rims
HID Fog/Driving Lights Wired To High Beam
Highlifter front and back HD springs
Front and back rack extenders
Synthetic winch rope
1999 Kodiak 400
completely stock so far and unbreakable
Old 11-29-2013, 06:21 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrug View Post
...letting it idle for 30 or 45 minutes to recharge the battery before loading it up in the truck and taking it to where im riding....
Two points if I may...
(1) In most cases, idling will actually drain a battery because the alt/gen system will not put out enough to both run the machine and charge the battery. At an idle, most systems will be running off the battery and will not be receiving a charge.

(2) Depending on the system, it may take as much as 30 minutes of running at above idle speeds to replace the charge used to start the machine.

Quote:
...My question is, is it normal for that low of temps to be killing my battery?...
Both high and low temps play on a battery's efficiency. If the battery was not in a good state of charge to begin with, large changes in temp can negatively affect a battery fairly quickly.

Last but not least, most batteries display the CCA (cold cranking amps) rating. It's important to know if your battery's CCA rating is at 0*F or 32*F - big difference when temps begin to drop.

Last edited by PineTree; 11-29-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #39299
Thumbs up

Quote:
looks like ill be stopping for a new battery in the morning and having a load test done on the old one. Wouldnt hurt to have an extra battery anyways.
Due to the abusive nature of not having 120 volts for a tender I would really only consider an AMG (absorpant gas mat) because they do not self discharge and typically last longer because they do not have the acid in a liquid form running around inside the cells and do not damage from physical trauma as bad as a FLA (flooded lead acid) battery that is much cheaper.

2002 Polaris 325cc All Models ATV Batteries

When we get the other 325 running we are going to need a new battery to replace the old FLA battery that died and created rust and this link has five options. The last two are high end Lithium based technology which is new to me so click on one of them for more tech info.

They sound idea in a technical sense for the the remotely parked atv that can go months without usage. It is cool they do not require special charging systems but will work with the OEM Polaris charging system. Not sure how they are at winching. I read they can give up twice of amount of stored energy as acid based batteries. Since they are so much lighter I expect we will be seeing more of them being used more than for power tools like today.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Member #21936
Well, i showed up the next morning and the quad turned right over. Rode it all day, almost 65 miles, turned on and off about half dozen times and never had an issue. I dont know whats goin on. I think ill buy a spare battery to have on hand.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
2014 polaris ranger battery low
2014 polaris sportsman 400 battery issues
2014 polaris sportsman battery low
atv battery issues
atv battery ran low on acid
how low of temps are atv batteries good
polaris ranger 400 and battery problems
polaris ranger 400 battery problems

polaris ranger battery issues

polaris ranger battery problems

polaris sportsman battery low on acid
whats the biggest cranking amp battery that will replace stock polaris ranger battery
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.