Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 PM

Member #5006
Shifter/Gear select Problems

Having a problem shifting to foward and reverse. Became a real problem trying to plow this year. Don't plow often but when I did it became worse and worse. Usually shifts fine cold then gets worse as machine warms up. Recently I could NOT get into reverse on the trail. Read some posts concerning worn belts and lose linkages but my shift select feels like it always has. Idle is not high. I will change the belt this week and see what happens. This is a low milage machine which I am pretty easy on. Any advise appreciated.

Last edited by Hustler; 05-20-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
if you would put the year and model and motor size on here. i could look up and give you the proper adjustment specs. most of the sportsmans want the selector to be in nuetral before starting adjusting the rods.
You could make the idle speed is set correctly.
on mine, the linkages were set to spec. and all i did was disassemble and clean the shift housing,shifts real easy and no binding in reverse
Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM

Member #5006
2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO. 910 miles, 144 hrs. Thank You
Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
you'll need to take the right side cover off. set the shifter in neutral, look at the outside shifter rod as both ends the rod bolts should be facing downward, correct this first,then remove the outside rod(10 mm.) from the shifter, the rod bolt when the shifter and transmission are in neutral, should fall into the shifter hole, but it sounds as if you need to shorten the shifter rod for proper reverse engagement. loosen the locknut on shifter rod and adjust as necessary,you may need some penetrating oil on the threads.
still be a good idea to take the shifter off and clean the internals. polaris wants a refill with there synthetic but whatever 0w or 5w you have laying around will work and just add enough to cover the shifting arms.
if you still decide to change your belt ,be sure to air blow or clean the front clutch.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:10 AM

Member #13470
Sportsman 500, 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4getful2 View Post
you'll need to take the right side cover off. set the shifter in neutral, look at the outside shifter rod as both ends the rod bolts should be facing downward, correct this first,then remove the outside rod(10 mm.) from the shifter, the rod bolt when the shifter and transmission are in neutral, should fall into the shifter hole, but it sounds as if you need to shorten the shifter rod for proper reverse engagement. loosen the locknut on shifter rod and adjust as necessary,you may need some penetrating oil on the threads.
still be a good idea to take the shifter off and clean the internals. polaris wants a refill with there synthetic but whatever 0w or 5w you have laying around will work and just add enough to cover the shifting arms.
if you still decide to change your belt ,be sure to air blow or clean the front clutch.
If it is an older version:
Sportsman 500
(has been used by a farmer, not wll serviced!)

Last edited by BRSPORT; 05-18-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
1999 polaris ranger hold shifter
2004 polaris sportsman 600 sloppy shifter
2005 polaris ranger shifter not moving into neutral or reverse
polaris 400 ranger gear shifting problems
polaris 6x6 ranger shifting problems
polaris explorer wont shift in to gear forward or reverse
polaris ranger gear shift problem
polaris ranger shift problems
polaris ranger shifter adjustment
polaris ranger shifter problems

polaris ranger shifting problems

polaris shifting problems
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.