Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 05:04 PM

Member #5422
hard to shift gears

I have a 05 sp 700 efi. and after it is running it is hard to shift sometimes. it also will move if in a gear at idle H L R dosen't matter. It will shift fine when not running. my clutch is stock. it only started this after I put a new belt on. The old one blew and I bought a polaris brand to repace it with. did I mabey get the wrong belt or is the idle too high? any other thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #3405
my 06 500 efi creeps and sometime is a little hard to shift. the dealer told me that it may be an alignment problem, if the idle is right. it calls for a special alignment tool to do it. you end up shimming it to get the belt inline. if its off a little when you are stopped and trying to shift the tranny has some load on it from the misalignment, causing the creeping and the hard shifting. buying the tool might be worth it as i think its around $40 and with the shims it will still be cheaper than having the shop do it.

Old enough to know better but, still too young to care!
http://s859.photobucket.com/home/cableguy657/allalbums
Old 06-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Member #5422
thanks cable guy ,do you know where I could get the tool? dealer or website?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #3405
i seen it in my manual for the 500. so i guess it can be found at the dealer or the pure polaris website. the part numbers for the tool is
EBS 2872292 did a quick search and found it for $45
STD 2870654

these part numbers are for the tool for the 06 500 EFI

there is also a shim kit

these are the partnumbers for the one i have, i would check a repair manual for what you have and the procedures on how to do it. i bought my manual but some are on the internet for down load, some for free some for some $

in the book it also says that if the measurement is greater that 1/8" or less than 1/16" then you need to loosen the engine mounts and until alignment is correct. i guess from this that they want it off a of being straight by 1/8 to 1/16.
you have to see the pictures i guess to understand what i mean. the tool is to touch the driven clutch further away from the driven clutch and have a

mind you i have not dont this as i dont have the tool to do it. maybe if you get the tool from your dealer you can pick their brain on this to do it right.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Member #5422
thanks for looking that stuff up I'll have to call the dealer tomarrow and see what they have to say. if the tool will work for other polaris's It might be worth getting since most of the guys I ride with ride polaris.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #3405
let us know how you make out. i may offer the service guy at the dealership i deal with some side work. i would rather pay him than pay the hourly shop rates.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:21 PM

Member #5422
I talked to the dealer today and they said it sounded like a clutch alignment issue and to check motor mounts and the brass bushing and nylon bushing on the primary may be worn out so I will have to tear it apart and check everthing out and I will report back when I find the problem(s). If it's not one thing it's the next lol. luckily I have most the tools and more time than money to do the job, just need to be pointed in the right direction sometimes.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:27 PM

Member #3717
Same problem

Just got my quad back from the shop, for first service and to put in a new belt, blew up the first one already. Ever since they put the new belt in it is hard to shift in and out of gears, they lowered the idle speed but it didnt seem to help.

They told me just to keep an eye on it, and they didnt know what it was, and to determine what it was they might need to tear apart my tranny. Needless to say i dont like the sound of that.

The explaination that was provided here seems to make a lot more sense, keep me posted on wether this solves this issue or not so I can inform my dealer.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Member #5422
sounds like you need a new dealer lol. I might not get to it until the weekend but I will keep you updated.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:49 PM

Member #5422
I got a chance to bring it to the mechanic today and found a little play in the one way bearing so he replaced the two washers on the primary and that tightened it up but it is still a little hard to shift (but better than it was) and still creeps. the mechanic I brought it to didn't have the clutch alignment tool for my machine so off to dealer to have that checked.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
2007 polaris ranger hard shifter
after changing drive belt on polaris atv 500 hard to shift gears
m y polaris atv is hard to shift what is the problem
polaris atv hard to shift
polaris ranger 400 hard to shift
polaris ranger 700 hard to shift
polaris ranger hard shift
polaris ranger hard shifting
polaris ranger hard to put in gear

polaris ranger hard to shift

polaris ranger hard to shift gears

polaris ranger shifts hard
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.