Polaris ATV Forum banner

Fixed one issue, now another.

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Badfish888 
#1 ·
Fixed my shift issue on my display with a new transmission indicator switch.
But now after my winch install. I wired as per instructions, And spliced into cig lighter plug for my switch power. Now. After I start my quad. I get a ( hot) check engine light. Wtf. It's 20 degrees out. So it's obviously not overheating. After I ride for a few miles it will clear and not come back. But what could cause this. Coolant is fine. And none of my wiring was any where near the radiator. Iran the wiring for the switch over it. That all

#2 ·
Could really use some help guys. Went out today. Unloaded and had a hot/check engine. Cleared itself in 2 miles. Rode 75 miles today without an issue. Got home. Unloaded. Now hot light is on. And stayed on. I have checked coolant, And completely pulled front end apart and checked everywhere I ran my winch wires. It's not touching any thing it's not spose to. Wtf. Happened right after I put my winch on. I'm out of warranty and don't know we're else to look.

#5 ·
Need some info on year/model

#6 ·
Fish, have you tried disconnecting the winch wire to see what happens? At least that would tell you one way or another if it's related to the winch install. I don't see why it would, but you never know.

#7 ·
So. It's a 2013 500 ho sportsman. I went through today, I checked coolant level again, All connections at the winch. And into the light pod. Then I checked my thermo sensor on the left side of the engine. When I unplugged it. It cleared the hot light. I pulled the sensor. Cleaned connections and re installed it. As soon as I connect it I get the hot/ check engine light. Does this mean this sensor is bad. I just had a hard time believing it happened right after the winch install.

So. Another question. Will my cooling fan work with this sensor un plugged. Or does it use this to turn the fan on and off. While riding the other day my fan would come on and off as usual, After a load or a steep climb. Even while I had the hot light
And does this mean the sensor is bad, when I plug it in and I get the code? And what could have caused it to go out. In at 65 hours and 8oo miles

#9 ·
According to my 08 manual (yours might be different), the sensor located near the thermostat housing controls the hot light and fan. If it is unplugged, or malfunctioning, the fan should automatically revert to "run", and stay running until the key is turned off. There is a testing procedure listed in the manual, but it sounds like you might have a bad sensor.

Good luck !!!

#10 ·
I had continual overheating problems with my 2013 XP 850 HO. The dealer couldn't find the problem. The fan would come on but not long enough. I found the answer on an ATV forum (can't remember which one). It turned out to be the inline fan circuit breaker was cutting out after just a few minutes running, especially on up-hills. Apparently the 10A breaker couldn't handle the load, & was probably undersized in the first place. I replaced the breaker with a 20A, and the machine has been running right ever since.
Don't know if this is the problem with yours, but it's a possibility.

#11 ·
Though it does kind of sound like a bad sensor, I agree with tekrsq I would disconnect the lead that you installed and see if that changes things as you might be causing a voltage drop that screws up the puter?! I have always run a fresh lead for the wench direct from the battery when I install them. Rob

#13 ·
For those of you dying to know. On a 2013 sportsman 500. With the thermo sensor unplugged. The fan operates normally. I just won't get a hot light. So if my fan runs longer than a minute or 2. I just take it easy till it shuts off. I refuse to pay 120$. At the dealer here. For. Brass plug with a wire in it. On a machine. Less than 2 months out of warranty. I heard some people,say there's an automotive cross over but I dunno how to find that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.