Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 06:20 AM

Member #783
1995 Sportsman 400 4X4

I just acquired a 95 Sportsman 400 4x4. I know very little about this atv's past. I do know that it has been sitting for about six years. I have drained the gas tank and checked the fluids and spark plug. I also cleaned up the carb where the gasoline had gummed everything up. The engine is running very rough and will not idle correctly. There is also alot of white smoke in the exhaust. Is this normal? It almost seems like the timing is off. Is this possible? I was driving it yesterday and it backfired and died. Now it wont crank. Also, should I mix two cycle oil in with the fuel? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board, and your other post is deleted as ordered!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #539
as far as the oil mixing, it should have its own mixer. You put the oil in one place, the gas in the other and the atv mixes it itself.

Unless-----someone has previously taken the mixer off, then in that case you'd have to mix the oil and gas.

I dont know much about the motor running all bad but, I have a 96 that was sorta the same. It was my dads, it had been setting for years when I got it from him. It didnt want to idle at all and smoked like a freight train, but it wasnt the white smoke your talking about. I just changed the plug with an ngk, went and got the most expensive 2 stroke oil I could find, put a bottle of fuel treatment in, and adjusted the idle ( it was set up so high, you couldnt go into gear without grinding like a drunk chick at the bar )

Some other things I have encountered that you might want to keep an eye open for, check that chain every time before you go riding, I gotta tighten mine up usually each morning before we ride(its about a 10 hour ride of rough terrain...if you dont ride as long on rough stuff, you might not have to tighten as often...keep the tools you need to tighten the chain in the 4wheeler, keep extra plugs with you, check EVERY bolt on that thing. Thats been the biggest problem I've had, not sure why, but I've encountered more loose bolts on this thing than one would imagine. And turn the fuel off when your done riding. I know most people do cut it off, but if theres no leak, some people think its fine. I figured out that if you cut the fuel off on these when your done, they will crank on the first time next time you go riding (whether its a day or a week later) Apparently with the fuel on, enough fuel goes through to have it somewhat flooded for next time. With it off, it cranks fine, no choke. I guess last thing I can think off, would be they are real cold natured little machines. Let it do some good warming up before giving it hell

Sorry to write so much and sorry I'm really not even helping you with your problem. I just know I knew nothing about these and needing all the help and advice from these guys I could get when I got it.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Member #783
Thanks for the reply. I tightened the chain like you suggested. The idle screw doesn't seem to make much difference. It still idles high and doesn't run smooth, even after a new NGK plug. Also, I have noticed that sometimes it will bog when I give it some throttle even in neutral - but only sometimes.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:05 PM

Member #728
Sounds like the thing is running too rich on the L screw. You could turn it in a touch and try that... It could also be from the mixer being screwed up and pumping too much oil into the fuel.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Member #783
I take it the L screw is small the standard head one on the same side as the idle screw. I saw on the manual that you can adjust the oil pump so, I'll try that and see what happens.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Member #728
Well I don't know the carbs on these things, I deal with chainsaws which are close to the same in principles. Be real careful adjusting the oiler, if you lean it out too much you'll risk burning up the piston... Its like running 50:1 fuel mix in something that takes 20:1.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Member #783
I looked at the manual and the oil pump adjustment procedure is a little vague - probably because I am not very familiar with this engine yet. Can you tell me where the pump is located? I would really like to find a diagram detailing the tank, lines, pump and injector.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:14 PM

Member #783
Nevermind, I found the diagram. It's gonna be hard to get to.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 AM

Member #783
OK, I took the front cover off of the oil pump case cover and found everything rusted and the oil pump stuck wide open. I hit everything with some PB Blaster and freed up the pump "throttle". After that, it idled a little better and went into gear without grinding but it still smokes like a freight train and as soon as I gave it a little gas, the idling problem came back. I am gonna delve into it a bit deeper today and make sure the throttle/oil pump cable is free.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
1995 polaris 400 sportsman
1995 polaris sportsman 400

1995 polaris sportsman 400 4x4

1995 polaris sportsman 400 4x4 reviews

1995 polaris sportsman 400 4x4 specs

1995 polaris sportsman 400 manual

1995 polaris sportsman 400 owners manual

1995 polaris sportsman 400 review
1995 polaris sportsman 400 reviews
1995 polaris sportsman 400 service manual free
1995 polaris sportsman 400 specs
1995 sportsman 400
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.