2000 sportsman 500 overheating all the time - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2000 sportsman 500 overheating all the time

Some one please help

my sportsman 500 keeps overheating all the time. I have tested the fan, it works. I have replaced the temp sensor switch. I have replaced the thermostat, and replaced the head gasket also. I am starting to lose my mind I cant figure this out.
I start my wheeler up and run it, but the fan doesnt come on before the antifreeze starts to boil. the quad get hot, I feel the metal on the the temp sensor switch and its cold. Its like the antifreeze isn't circulating. I then tried taking the t-stat out and running it. Still the wheeler overheating.

help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM

2004 Sportsman Overheating

I have a 2004 Sportsman 400 doing the same thing. It overheats and the fan wont kick on. I had an issue with the radiator cap, the fluid was boiling, replaced the cap and cured that problem. But the thing still over heats, I hard wired the fan and I can ride a little longer but still not right!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Do you think that would keep the antifreeze from circulating ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

You said you changed head gasket...what about the base gasket?
Was it overfilling the resevoir bottle? It usually will if you have a pressure leak in the cylinder. Then radiator gets low and then its hot. Fan won't come on if coolant not on the sensor switch.
You also have to purge the air out of system after change.
If coolant not circulating its the pump.
If you got circulation and the fan don't kick on but coolant is boiling you probably have something wrong with either the sensor, the fan, or the wiring. You can try wiring the fan up with a switch to see if that keeps it cool.
You might also check the color of the spark plug to see if running too lean but that would have nothing to do with fan not coming on.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

what is the best way to get the air out of the system?
Is there any way to test the water pump?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 PM

Angry

2000 sportsman 500 I am having the same problem. Have had the machine for 5 years never had a problem, took it down the railroad bed about ten miles light came on got back to my truck it was leaking fluid out the seep hole by water pump. Took it to a dealer replaced the mechanical seal behind the water pump presure tested it said it was good to go went down same railroad bed light came on after a couple of miles fan never came on. Brought it home replaced temp sensor in radiator new thermos stat cleaned radiator. The top of the radiator gets hot bottem stays cool. I know the fan works. Put differant cap on radiator same problem. I don't understand what is going on here. The system seems to not be circulating. Help i want to ride
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugerguns#1 View Post
2000 sportsman 500 I am having the same problem. Have had the machine for 5 years never had a problem, took it down the railroad bed about ten miles light came on got back to my truck it was leaking fluid out the seep hole by water pump. Took it to a dealer replaced the mechanical seal behind the water pump presure tested it said it was good to go went down same railroad bed light came on after a couple of miles fan never came on. Brought it home replaced temp sensor in radiator new thermos stat cleaned radiator. The top of the radiator gets hot bottem stays cool. I know the fan works. Put differant cap on radiator same problem. I don't understand what is going on here. The system seems to not be circulating. Help i want to ride
Are you assuming, because the dealer did the work, that the water pump is good? Or do you know that it is good?
jrsavoie likes this.

2015 Sportsman 850 in Sage Green
3500 lb. Polaris HD Winch
QSC Clutch Kit (from Ryan @ RVS Performance)
Odyssey PC925L-P Power Sports Battery
VIPair Windshield
HD ATV Gear Billet Pinion Cover
EPI HD Springs, Front & Rear
Cecco Frame Braces
27X9 and 27X11-14 STI Rocktane XD Rubber
Guru Bumpers, Front & Rear
Lock 'n Ride Front & Rear Boxes
Rhino Monster, Rear Box
Camoplast Tatou 4s Track System
Heated Grips and Throttle Control
Lowrance BAJA 540 GPS
SuperATV EZSteer 380
Various Mods for Ice-Fishing
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

How would you know if the water pump is working???
jrsavoie likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:16 PM

I've got one idea. A couple years ago, I had a similar problem, and went to the dealership 3 times for it, until finally figured out a solution with the mechanic.

This may or may not be your problem. But just in case, CLEAN that radiator! In my 700 the fins just weren't clean enough. So, I've started using Eagle One Mag Cleaner for alloy wheels. Spray directly into the fins, and let it sit a few minutes. I was very surprised to see the amount of dirt that came out when I flushed it out.

don't get it on painted areas or plastic! it's some rough stuff. Maybe this will help.
jrsavoie likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 AM

Fixed it last night!! Went to different mechanic talked to him told him everything i did he didn't have any other suggestions. Just when i fill it with fluid go slow and bleed it with the bolt at the water pump. Took off the water pump housing cover to check it one more time found i could turn the impeller with my finger!!! Tightened nut up put it back together problem solved. Just goes to show you sometimes you need to check other peoples work. Hope this helps anybody with same problem. So after an extra $150 and hours of frustration all it was a loose nut that should have been tight from the dealer. Good call Phil
jrsavoie likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode