Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 02:03 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #4949
Extended Warranty Yay or Nay

Hi

My 6 month warranty on my 2010 550 XP is coming due and I was wondering if I should go for the extended warranty. The prices were $300 for 6 extra months and 600 for 18 extra months. The 6 months is out because I is going to be winter soon and with the amount of snow we usually get it the snow will be too deep in December, January, and February. So that is half the 6 months would be spent sitting in the shed. So this leaves the only real option as the 18 extra month's

The only problems I have had with the bike was 3 ball joints and a bunch of A-ARM bushings, which I just got fixed under warranty this week, which is what put me in mind of the warranty.

After talking to the dealer about buying the warranty they weren't big fans of the warranty because it won't cover anything that can be considered wearable. And they flat out told me the work they just did would not have been covered by the extended warranty.

I do drive the bike a lot I put 1600 kilometers on it in the first 5 months of ownership. so I am still tempted to buy it in case something serious fails but at the same time I am faced with knowing the problems that I had an likely will have again wont be covered and I will have fix them out of pocket.

I am leaning towards not buying it and I just wanted to get some opinions on the matter.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
I agree with your thinking on this one. Probably, if I were in your shoes, I would not purchase the extended warranty.
I bought my new 550 in March and added a 6 month extended warranty because I knew I would be headed into winter and that's when I use my machine the most - for ice-fishing. I most likely will not extend the warranty again.

Generally, I feel extended warranties are not worthwhile. It's more an individual thing and how you "feel" about it. It's like insurance, if it gives you "peace of mind" go for it. I don't think I have ever collected on an extended warranty in my life.
Warn XT25 on KFI Mount, Polaris Rear Cargo Box "Lock 'n Ride", Lowrance Baja 540C GPS, Custom front rack (for ice-fishing) "Lock 'n Ride" mounted, Front Cargo Box, ATV-Guru Cobra Brush Guards (with full expanded metal) Front & Rear. Maxxis Bighorns. Lock n' RideTall Windshield. Grip & Thumb Warmers. Tatou 4s Track System. High Lifter HD springs all around. Super ATV EZ Steer (power steering).
More mods to come.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7044
I'd want to see the warranty in writing first.
Look over what it "Does" & "Does Not" cover.

Check out what big ticket items it does cover, then go from
there if you feel a "just in case" would deem it.

I'm thinking why a dealer would not want to push it.
Maybe b/c the labor rate they get from Polaris doesn't match theirs,
I don't know. Is this is in regards to a Polaris extended warranty?

1998 Scrambler 400 4x4 2 stroke (SOLD)
Old 10-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7484
I personally pay $1,200 for 5 years bumper to bumper polaris extended warranty without milages limit. Cause i have 300 miles already in 1 month.

In one year i can put easy 2,400 milages.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:27 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdeet View Post
I'd want to see the warranty in writing first.
Look over what it "Does" & "Does Not" cover.

Check out what big ticket items it does cover, then go from
there if you feel a "just in case" would deem it.

Maybe b/c the labor rate they get from Polaris doesn't match theirs,
I don't know. Is this is in regards to a Polaris extended warranty?

I regards to this being a Polaris warranty, the way the dealer explained it to me was the warranty is not done by Polaris it is done by a company that Polaris deals with. So I don't know if that makes it a Polaris extended warranty or not?

In any case after sleeping on it I don't think I am going to go for it I have a couple more weeks if I change my mind but I don't think I could put up with paying for any repairs after spending 600 bucks on an extended warranty, And the dealer made it sound like there is alot of grey area in the warranty, like if a part wears out it wouldn't be covered, if a part breaks it is covered, but if you abuse the bike and a part breaks it is not covered. It seems like it is a big money maker for the company that does the warranty.

Thanks for your input though
Old 10-10-2010, 03:31 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltucker01 View Post
It seems like it is a big money maker for the company that does the warranty.

Thanks for your input though
That's what insurance and warranties are all about. Other than possible "peace of mind" for the consumer.
Warn XT25 on KFI Mount, Polaris Rear Cargo Box "Lock 'n Ride", Lowrance Baja 540C GPS, Custom front rack (for ice-fishing) "Lock 'n Ride" mounted, Front Cargo Box, ATV-Guru Cobra Brush Guards (with full expanded metal) Front & Rear. Maxxis Bighorns. Lock n' RideTall Windshield. Grip & Thumb Warmers. Tatou 4s Track System. High Lifter HD springs all around. Super ATV EZ Steer (power steering).
More mods to come.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Supporting Vendor
Premium Member

Member #1219
If you plan on owning the quad for a long time I say go for it. Remember the market up is BIG on these! Over 1/2 the price is dealer market up. (FYI on cars the market is more than that). I would call around to see who will give you the best deal. Tell them you are shopping for the best price. For them to make $100 bucks for a phone call, take a vin and credit card is a no brainier. Best of luck!!!

Owner of Thor's TheATVSuperStore.com. Where we test what we sell and only sell the best!

2012 Sportsman 850XP Orange Madness. TheATVSuperStore.com lock and ride rear box, 60" American Eagle Plow w/ETS, Collett headsets, heated grips/thumb, shield, ATV Mirrors, 3 in 1 ATV hitch, RotoPax fuel pack built in front box, Orange Ricochet A Arm Guards, 26" STI Black Diamond XTR tires on HD3 Wheels, TheATVSuperStore Helmet & HID lights all from www.TheATVSuperStore.com
Old 10-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Quote:
Maybe b/c the labor rate they get from Polaris doesn't match theirs
This is exactly it. If the mechanic is polaris certified (yearly test/and or weekend conference for mechanics) the polaris will pay the shops normal hourly rate, but for only a set time. But they never give the mechanics enough time. So polaris might pay 2 hours for a warranty job, but it took the mechanic 3.5 hours to do it....so guess who loses money? The little guy...

Or, if the mechanic is not certified, polaris tells you how much they are going to pay an hour to you, and how many hours per job...guess who loses money on this one too? Shop and mechanic both.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7044
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
Quote:
Maybe b/c the labor rate they get from Polaris doesn't match theirs
This is exactly it. If the mechanic is polaris certified (yearly test/and or weekend conference for mechanics) the polaris will pay the shops normal hourly rate, but for only a set time. But they never give the mechanics enough time. So polaris might pay 2 hours for a warranty job, but it took the mechanic 3.5 hours to do it....so guess who loses money? The little guy...

Or, if the mechanic is not certified, polaris tells you how much they are going to pay an hour to you, and how many hours per job...guess who loses money on this one too? Shop and mechanic both.
blueline15,

After I made this post, I did find a post where you stated how warranty
labor pay works for the dealer/shop. Honestly I wasn't trying to take any credit for this.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7044
For the sake of conversation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltucker01 View Post
My 6 month warranty on my 2010 550 XP is coming due and I was wondering if I should go for the extended warranty. The prices were $300 for 6 extra months and 600 for 18 extra months. The 6 months is out because I is going to be winter soon and with the amount of snow we usually get it the snow will be too deep in December, January, and February. So that is half the 6 months would be spent sitting in the shed. So this leaves the only real option as the 18 extra month's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
I personally pay $1,200 for 5 years bumper to bumper polaris extended warranty without milages limit.
ZEUS,
Bumper to bumper sounds pretty good, but I'd still like to
see/know what (if any) exclusions there could be.
Bumper to bumper to me sounds like it should cover a bulb
going out

Regarding price, even though $1,200 may seem like a lot of money, if you
divide price per month in regards to ZEUS & michaeltucker01's costs per month of coverage,
the $1,200 is the better (as I see it).

$300 divided by 6 months = $50 a month.
$600 divided by 18 months = $33.33 a month.
$1,200 divided by 60 months = $20 a month.

So even @ 2 times the 18 month cost, you get an
additional 24 months coverage.

It's good to have what's covered on paper, but depending
on who's interpretation of the warranty of what actually gets
covered is another story

Just for conversation's sake

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
atv extended warranties
extra ride atv warranty

extra ride extended warranty

polaris atv extended warranty

polaris atv warranty

polaris extended warranty

polaris extended warranty reviews
polaris labor rates

polaris sportsman warranty

polaris utv warranty

what does polaris extended warranty cover

what does polaris warranty cover
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.