Polaris ATV Forum banner

rear brake

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Bait 
#1 ·
Anyone tell me if the rear brake on a 1998 Trail Blazer 250 is mechanical or hydraulic? i know the front brake lever works all the brakes hydraulically, but when you step on the brake pedal, it rotates the piston actuator or whatever it is called. I am just wondering if the piston actuator pushes directly on the piston, or if the actuator pushes fluid to activate the piston. I am having an issue with the rear brake. When you push the pedal, it doesnt create enough pressure to really stop the atv effectively. the caliper barely causes the pads to move when the pedal is pushed as far as it can go. the brake lever on the other hand seems to move it a lot more. I am just trying to trouble shoot. any input would be great, thanks in advance!

#4 · (Edited)
You can adjust the foot pedal arm tention by the allen head screw that goes into the caliper, It wasnt designed to stop the bike by using the foot pedal but mearly a "hold in place" so you can remove your hand off the brake handle to do what ever while sitting still. Now if you are having issuse with the hand break not working properly then you should start troublshooting that which is normally either a clogged line or a bad caliper.

but to answer your orignal question the rear caliper is both hygrailic and mechanical

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.