Polaris ATV Forum banner

Tips for advanced begginer.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sportsmandan 
#1 ·
Got a 1999 250 recently that's been sitting for about a year. Previous owners are friends, so it ran, oil injection worked along with everything else.

I'm mostly self taught but pretty competent. Already know to do the basic stuff like gas and oil lines, carb, rotten gas, trans fluid, etc.

So I'm looking for general tips that an amateur would probably miss.

Also have two specific areas in questions.

1 I can tune the hi lo jets on my chainsaws really well. Can someone give me a rundown on tuning the carb on this chick magnet?

2 Old owner lost the key and the new ignition isn't here yet. I'm guessing the throttle is locked when said chick magnet is turned off? If not, try to fix or just replace after it sat for so long?

#2 ·
There really isn't much tuning to the carb. The air bleed is adjustable, but set at the factory and then covered with a plug driven into that bore. You have to drill out the plug to change it, but usually not necessary. You can change the main and pilot jets in the carb if there is a problem. and the main jet needle can be moved up or down to get a richer or leaner mix.

As far as I know, there is no lock on the throttle. If it doesn't move, then you probably have a cable that is bound up. Throttle cable on those 2 strokes splits under the fuel tank to operate both the throttle and the oil pump. You might be able to free it up if you can get it to move at all but be prepared to replace it. The junction where the split is located is a sealed rectangular box.

As for other things, most are obvious. Check your chains and sprockets, grease everything that has a zerk and look over your wiring. Check wheel bearings and suspension bushings as well. Air Box, Air filter and make sure all the cooling ductwork for the clutch is attached and tight. If you have the plastic off now would be a good time to check your belt too.

#3 ·
Awesome thank you. I have it stripped down to the carb. I didn't think to check the clutch or drivetrain parts so that's a really good idea.

Carb is still held on by the throttle and choke cables, anything not obvious about getting those back on properly? Like tension or spacing?

Also for the throttle cable I'll have to check it all but should I focus on the articulation points or the cable itself? I'm guessing the points are just rusted together but idk if the cables can fail or wear out and freeze without obvious signs of damage.

Thanks again

#4 ·
If u have even a suspicion the throttle cable is seized or is seizing up from bike sitting outside or whatever i'd just change it. Don't wait till it stays stuck in full throttle position, specially if kids might ride it, buy a aftermarket cable and never mess with it again, rule of thumb is 1/8 max free play, same as choke .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.