Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Trail Boss

Polaris Trail Boss Discussions for the Polaris Trail Boss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 05:33 PM

Member #17618
Knockin Noise what to do?

Hi, Everyone New here. I just bought a 2002 Polaris Trail Boss 325. I bought it knowing that most of these things knocked or made noises straight off the line. Well after getting my new to me four wheeler home. I discovered the engine was full of that thick stuff or some type of motor honey type fluid instead of oil. When I changed the oil the noise became much louder. It is a knocking noise in the engine. That gets quieter as rpm increases and almost disappears but does not. It also gets faster of course. I bought this as is from a old guy so I can't just bring it back, and I would go and royally fuck him up but he is old and would not present a challenge. Frankly I like challenges. Besides the knocking it starts with just a slight pull on the recoil every time first time and seems to run great.

1. Where to get parts for this that are really good price?

2. What is the Cheapest I could get by with doing myself, and what would it cost to have a stealership rebuild it and what kind of lube to use lol?

3. While I'm in there any how or have it apart what would the best way to get more performance out of this engine on a budget seeing some things will need to be replaced?

I thank you for all answers and ideas given ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Member #17618
Thanks, any suggestions?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:52 AM

Member #17618
I'm beginning to think there is more knowledgeable people on other forums that can answer me. After searching around on here not seeing answers and seeing other people posting similar questions with no replies.Go figure this forum has Polaris in the name.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
Everybody don't have time to sit at a computer and give out free advise. Sometimes people work and do things with the family. You also have to have respect for other people. Look at your language you used. That might have something to do with the no help issue. As with buying anything it is the buyers responsibility to check something out before purchasing. You should have checked the oil and heard the knocking when you bought it. After saying all of that I have never worked on a 325. Here are some options. Buy a good oil filter(Polaris,Wix,Carquest,NAPA) and a couple quarts of 0w-40 Synthetic Mobil 1 oil. Too thick of oil will cause the top end not to get enough oil. I would pull the camshaft cover off and make sure it's not a bad timing chain or cam. Make sure it is no one of the clutches or transmission not coming out of gear causing the rattle. You can remove the belt to check that.
That might give a start on trying to figure out what is wrong.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Trail Boss

Search tags for this page

2002 polaris four wheeler engine knocking

four wheeler knocking

four wheeler knocking what to do

is it ok to put motor honey in atv

motor honey for atv

polaris 325 trail boss noisy

polaris 330 engine noise

polaris knocking with synthetic oil

polaris trail boss 330 engine sound

polaris trail boss 330 making knockin

polaris trailboss 325 knock

putting motor honey in atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.