Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Trail Boss

Polaris Trail Boss Discussions for the Polaris Trail Boss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 06:12 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #17012
Adjusting Rear Foot Brake

My rear foot brake doesn't work it just sinks to the floor when you step on it. In the manual, it says it is a mechanical floating disc brake. How do I adjust it to make it work? There is a rod that goes into a box and there is a nut which looks like you can adjust it, I am just not sure how. Also, there is a brake fluid line coming from the reservoir on the handlebars to it.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
They're not adjustable. Just works off of hydraulic pressure like most other brakes. Possibly time to change the fluid and bleed the lines, or the master cylinder could have gone out on you.
Front Brushguard
3 headlight mod
55w driving lights
Old 08-26-2011, 01:56 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Well the foot pedal/rear brake may not be adjustable...The rear brakes are!
When installing new pads on my '00 TB I found I had to adjust the spacing on the pads with the caliper. At first I did not realize this and threw the pads in and buttoned it up.... I had NO pedal!! I took it back apart and looked at what I had done and found I needed to "screw" in the caliper to a correct distance between the pads and disc. Once accomplished, I had a pretty good pedal again....

Have you changed the pads? Do you have a manual? Its all outlined there.

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Last edited by cwlongshot; 08-26-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #16252
My 98 xplorer has one, there should be a bolt with a jam nut on it, loosen the jam nut, turn the bolt in (both need 7/16" wrenches) till you have a good pedal, then tighten the jam nut. I believe there is even a spec for it, not sure what it is though, just make sure the brake doesn't drag.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.092705,-75.706301
Mine- 2011 Sportsman X2 550 With EPS!!-Mile Marker 2500lb Winch, Guru Brush Guard, 3000K HID's, PIAA Driving Lights, Autometer Phantom Oil Temperature, Coolant Temperature, and Voltmeter Gauges, Polaris Low Lock and Ride windshield, Acerbis Handguards, Symtec Heated Grips and Thumb warmer, 2+2 gallon Rotopax Fuel packs, Warn 60" Provantage Plow w/ Power Pivot

Hers- 2000 Magnum 325 2x4-Symtec Heated Grips and Thumb warmer, Oil Pressure gauge, working on a few other goodies

Click here to learn how to add EPS to an XP!!! ---> http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...eering-x2.html
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #17544
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE1987 View Post
My 98 xplorer has one, there should be a bolt with a jam nut on it, loosen the jam nut, turn the bolt in (both need 7/16" wrenches) till you have a good pedal, then tighten the jam nut. I believe there is even a spec for it, not sure what it is though, just make sure the brake doesn't drag.
+1
Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #13967
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes99trailboss View Post
My rear foot brake doesn't work it just sinks to the floor when you step on it. In the manual, it says it is a mechanical floating disc brake. How do I adjust it to make it work? There is a rod that goes into a box and there is a nut which looks like you can adjust it, I am just not sure how. Also, there is a brake fluid line coming from the reservoir on the handlebars to it.
My 01 Trail Boss sunk to the floor. I had to bleed the line and it worked great. The line at the bleeder was plugged, so had to clean that out first.

If a 99 is like my 01, the hand brake is on the left handlebar and has it's own reservoir. It's bleeder is the one on the left on the rear axle. The hand brake controls both front wheels and the rear axle.
The foot brake is on the right side and has it's reservoir about ankle high behind a cover. It's bleeder is the one on the right. It only brakes the rear axle.
The bleeders are a fitting inside a nut. Hold the nut with a wrench and loosen the fitting with another wrench. The first time we did mine, we turned the nut and fluid came up around the threads. Then we figured out that there was another fitting inside that nut.

"I've been sane, and I've been crazy. Crazy is more fun!"
Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #17012
Smile

Good news! I just got the rear brake working... It works perfect now! I just loosened the jam nut and tightened the bolt a little. Thanks a lot guys!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:36 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #29557
Quote:
Good news! I just got the rear brake working... It works perfect now! I just loosened the jam nut and tightened the bolt a little. Thanks a lot guys!
nice work. I think i am having the same issue. My pedal is to the floor, it still stops the brakes when i apply it but it doesn't seem to spring back up. My question is should the aux brake pedal rise back up after applying it like on a motorcycle or does the pedal move down as the brakes wear?

Thanks for any info.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #17012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcamacho View Post
Quote:
nice work. I think i am having the same issue. My pedal is to the floor, it still stops the brakes when i apply it but it doesn't seem to spring back up. My question is should the aux brake pedal rise back up after applying it like on a motorcycle or does the pedal move down as the brakes wear?

Thanks for any info.
Wow, blast from the past! It should spring back up. When it is sprung up, the top of the pedal should be parallel with the foot rest.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:57 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #29557
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcamacho View Post
Quote:

Thanks for any info.
Wow, blast from the past! It should spring back up. When it is sprung up, the top of the pedal should be parallel with the foot rest.
I figured it should. I'll have to check the manual but does anyone remember where the spring it that brings it back up? Or should the hydrolic pressure bring it back up?

Thanks for the reply.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Trail Boss

Search tags for this page
1999 polaris trail boss brake fluid reservoir

2000 polaris 250 brake adjustment

2000 polaris atv brake adjustment

2006 polaris ranger 500 parking brake adjustment

2006 polaris sportsman 450 rear brake pedal?

94 polaris rear brake adjustment

adjusting rear brake on 99 honda four wheeler
adjusting rear brakes on arctic cat atv
for an atv how to fix a foot brake atv
polaris phoenix rear brake adjustment
rzr rear brake caliper

youtube polaris 700 sportsman tightening rear brake

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.