Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Trail Boss

Polaris Trail Boss Discussions for the Polaris Trail Boss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:00 PM

Member #25840
Need some suggestions for 07 Trail Boss 330

Hello! I have a pretty clean and un-modified 07 Trail Boss 330. It starts up and runs nice, but I have a feeling there is more power to be tapped!

So far, I put in a NGK Iridium Spark Plug and a UNI Air Filter.

Has anyone done a dyno jet kit or changed the jets on the carb and noticed any performance improvement?

Secondly, has anyone changed out the pipe/exhaust on a Trail Boss 330 and have some comments or info on what works and what doesn't?

I have read about clutching and changing out the primary spring and that seems to be a logical step to improving overall performance.

THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #26179
I put a Dynojet kit in my 03 trailboss......not so much for increased power but so it would warm up faster. I found the dynojet base line setting did not work at all. I wound up with the needle 2 positions richer than DJ called for and now it starts and runs great. Maybe a bit more get up and go. The most noticeable performance mods for that machine would be through clutching. I'm changing my primary to an EPI Pink, the secondary to an AAEN Blue and changing my old belt. Clutching pretty much depends on how you will be riding the machine. In my case slow and over rocks so I need more low end response. Stock jetting is very lean on the low/midrange for the 330 so you could accomplish what a DJ kit yourself by removing the air screw plug and richening (Turn out) screw 1/2-1 full turn. Move needle clip down 1 notch (Moving needle up to enrichen mid range and off idle throttle response. Leave stock exhaust..... modified exhaust on that machine will just produce more noise. Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 AM

Member #25840
I bought a Primary Spring from Rick Ritter at Ritter Cycle Racing. Its a BLACK spring with a white dot on it. Pretty much, Rick said the same thing about performance mods, not much for this machine. I didn't want a LOUD pipe, because I don't want to disrupt neighbors when I ride. I am using a UNI-FILTER with NGK Iridium plug, both seemed to help a little.

What size pilot and main jet are you running?

I believe the stock jets are:
Pilot: 42.5
Main Jet: 122.5
***I have seen a few people change the pilot jet to 45 and main to 125

How do I access or get to the air screw plug? I know there is a plug that needs to be drilled out to gain access. I might try messing with needle clip as well.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
All of this sounds good. I'd add a new performance CDI box also. It gives a better advance on timing plus it raises the RPM limiter. Gives you more to work with. I also added an exhaust from a mx bike for better performance. I'm a "crawler" also. Looking for even more low end!
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:31 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #26179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrph View Post
I bought a Primary Spring from Rick Ritter at Ritter Cycle Racing. Its a BLACK spring with a white dot on it. Pretty much, Rick said the same thing about performance mods, not much for this machine. I didn't want a LOUD pipe, because I don't want to disrupt neighbors when I ride. I am using a UNI-FILTER with NGK Iridium plug, both seemed to help a little.

What size pilot and main jet are you running?

I believe the stock jets are:
Pilot: 42.5
Main Jet: 122.5
***I have seen a few people change the pilot jet to 45 and main to 125

How do I access or get to the air screw plug? I know there is a plug that needs to be drilled out to gain access. I might try messing with needle clip as well.
I'm running stock pilot jet per DJ instructions and DJ112 Main. Now DJ jets have their own # scheme based on flow rather than size I'm told so I do not know what the equivalent stock jet size would be. To remove the air screw plug you'll have to remove the carburetor and believe me, on the Trailboss is quite a PIA to get out. The air screw should be turned out from slightly seated 3 1/2 turns below 3000 ft.......3 turns above 3000 ft. To remove carb.
Remove Seat
Remove air box
Remove side panels (Left and right)
Lift fuel tank as much as possible and bunget cord to handlebars
Remove snorkle going to clutch/pulley housing
Remove fuel line from carb
Loosen boot to engine
Remove carb to frame bracket
Pull carb straight back
Remove choke cable and throttle cable
You should have carb in your hand by now

It's not really hard.......just a pain!

You can adjust needle/clip position while carb is still in machine by rotating it to the fuel valve side of ATV. Still kind of tight but doable. If you go the dynojet route, follow the directions on base setting except put DJ clip in 3rd position from top, not the first. That will save you a lot of aggravation. Be very careful when drilling plug as air screw is close to plug!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #20681
EPI PATV1 red primary clutch spring woke up my 2000 325 4-stroke. added a 1.5" hdpe spring spacer and stiffer front springs to the front of it and the handling is much improved.

Also, there is a thread on here where the guys are gutting the stock muffler on Sportsman 500's. The mufflers on my 325 and 500 look identical...so I imagine you can do the exact same thing to your 330.

Also, I ran 5 ounces of redline fuel system cleaner through my 325 this weekend and i think it runs considerably better. (Could also use sea foam).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Trail Boss

Search tags for this page
05 polaris trail performance mods
3 turns out on my trailboss air screw here in colorado
mods trail boss 330
polaris 330 jet kit
polaris 330 trail boss exhaust turning red

polaris 330 trail boss sluggish off the line

polaris trail boss 330 more power
polaris trailblazer 330 dynojet kit
polaris trailblazer 330 jetting

polaris trailblazer 330 performance

trail boss 330 mods
trail boss 330 more power
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.