Polaris ATV Forum banner

One way bearing

49K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Razor800 
#1 ·
What are the symptoms of a one way bearing failure?

I have noticed in high range , as I rev just above idle (1500 ish rpm) , I get a whistling sound from the clutch area. I can get it to do it in neutral, but it's much louder in gear at low speeds.

I'm going to check it this weekend, but am curious if anyone has had this issue, and if the whistling was a symptom.

#2 ·
If you bearing is bad, it will shift really hard. It will want to creep forward while stopped. Belt will squeal at idle while you are stopped. Belt will overheat and smell.

Hard shifting is the first sign. Once your bearing fully seizes to the shaft, the other symptoms be come more obvious.

D

#3 ·
One way bearing usually causes creeping or harsh shifting as mentioned, I would rec'd replacing your belt, and using polaris preferred or gates, mine makes that whistle or whirr type noise once the belt is glazed or hard,. How many km on the belt now? Likly clean or blow out clutches with compressed air when the cover is off

#5 ·
Pulled it apart last night. The primary shaft is covered in greasy dirt which was preventing it from fully opening. As far as I can tell the bearing is completely seized. Nothing turns.

The belt has a few jagged spots with nylon showing , so I'm going to replace it anyways.

Unfortunately you need a bunch of special tools to take the primary apart to get to the bearing. So I have to take the clutch to the dealer for disassembly.

#12 ·
what do you figure caused the washers to rust like that ?, plowing in snow drifts , riding in deep water?
my atv has about 1800 km and i just started hearing a belt noise like a wap wap wap noise but only at exactly 50 km/per hour, atv runs , shifts perfect, im gonna change the belt its just my warranty is almost up. Don't want to pay labour to hear everything is like new !!!!!

#8 ·
My one way bearing was not completely seized but rough to turn. I had hard shifting, creeping in gear, squealing noises. I also learned of all the special tools required to disassemble the clutch. I just ordered a puller and brought the clutch to the dealer. They replaced the bearing and the quad has been a new machine since. The hard shifting was annoying.

#9 ·
I agree. It was a huge pain shifting. Especially plowing this past winter with all the back and forth .

I am waiting on my belt, but I put the clutch back on last night. The primary snaps back open with ease now. I also installed the thin shim with my QSC kit now. (Was running no shim before)

#16 ·
$200 !! you must live in a pretty remote area than,
i'll take cover off and see what it looks like in there, i have hit large puddles going pretty fast .

#19 ·
you were right, $175 !!!
Babbitts and Polaris Parts House are usual dead on for pricing but not this time.
just a side note, i have 1900 kms, (1100) miles on my belt and dealer said its still very good, they measured it, i ride aggressive and fast but dont play in mud holes, warranty was up next month so i got dealer to clean and inspect cluthes and give the suspension/ bushings/ steering a quick inspection and all the found was rear top bushings that were $4 each so personally i cannot complain as we have riden some really rough trails where lightbulbs would go out from vibrations on the 570.

#22 ·
What are the symptoms of a one way bearing failure?

I have noticed in high range , as I rev just above idle (1500 ish rpm) , I get a whistling sound from the clutch area. I can get it to do it in neutral, but it's much louder in gear at low speeds.

I'm going to check it this weekend, but am curious if anyone has had this issue, and if the whistling was a symptom.
I’m getting the same noise on my 2019 850 touring. The dealer can’t find the problem. The whistling noise drives me crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.