Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #13020
Rear Differential Fluid...

Well today I completed my first ever service on anything! I changed all fluids with Amsoil, except the rear differential where I felt that Valvoline Full Syn 75-90w speced out much better. I greased all fittings and to my suprise it required 3 pumps on all (at 3 I could see it slightly ouzing out of the seals).

Anyway, the rear diff calls for 7.2 ounces, but it states (Not to overfill). So I stopped at what I gauged was 7.2 ounces but it was not seeping out of the fill plug. I guess it just makes me a little uneasy not having a gauge of measurement...

Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
Just fill to the bottom of the fill/check plug. That's why it's placed on the side where it is, instead of on top.
Front Brushguard
3 headlight mod
55w driving lights
Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
Just fill to the bottom of the fill/check plug. That's why it's placed on the side where it is, instead of on top.
That is exactly what I thought, but in the owners manual it strictly states NOT to fill to the Fill Line... Can an overfill hurt the feat differential?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
So then why did the put a fill line on it? LOL

I don't think it's gonna hurt anything. Mechanics at the dealers don't measure out the fluid. They just fill it to the plug. I bet that if you'd have measured the amount of oil that drained out of it, there was probably more than 7.2oz in there already.
Front Brushguard
3 headlight mod
55w driving lights
Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #13020
Good Point, but by nature I'm a direction follower and I just did not know if adding too much could harm the rear differential. Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Member #5698
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngatorhunt View Post
Well today I completed my first ever service on anything! I changed all fluids with Amsoil, except the rear differential where I felt that Valvoline Full Syn 75-90w speced out much better. I greased all fittings and to my suprise it required 3 pumps on all (at 3 I could see it slightly ouzing out of the seals).

Anyway, the rear diff calls for 7.2 ounces, but it states (Not to overfill). So I stopped at what I gauged was 7.2 ounces but it was not seeping out of the fill plug. I guess it just makes me a little uneasy not having a gauge of measurement...

Any thoughts on this?
What did your fluid look like when you drained it? I changed mine a few days back and it came our discolored and streaky. The drained fluid was very light colored with a blue or silver tint streaking through the fluid. The magnet didn't have too much in the way of shavings.

To me, it looked like another fluid had been introduced into the system. The service department at the dealership believed it was nothing more than the first batch of fluids the factory uses are slightly different than the fluids we purchase. I used the Drive Fluid Plus, which looked nothing like the drained fluid.

Think I'll take it for a spin next weekend then drain it again to see what it looks like.

Last edited by jgroesbeck; 03-20-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #13020
Hey man, I noticed the blue tint as well and streaky. I had thin mist shavings on the magnet. I'm going to drain again after the next couple of rides and add the Valvoline again...
Old 03-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Member #5698
Think the quick, and probably correct answer is that it's the factory provided fluid, which is slightly different that what we buy off the shelf. As long as I don't see similar streaking at the next change I'm calling it good to go

Cheers,
Joe

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Search tags for this page
how to change grease in rearend polaris 500ranger 2011
how to check oil polaris sportsman 500 and fornt and rear differanual
polaris atv rear differential fluid

polaris ranger rear diff fluid

polaris ranger rear diff oil
polaris ranger rear end fluid
polaris ranger rear end oil
polaris rear differential fluid

polaris rear differential oil

polaris rearend oil
rear end oil for a 2006 polaris ranger
u2 drain rear grease on 450 polaris 4x4
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.