Polaris ATV Forum banner

850 4wd engaging problem

35K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  redneckron 
#1 ·
i broke and axle on my 850 so i bought 2 gorillas for the front. when i was taking my stock ones out i had to take a pipe and knock one out but when i did that i busted the 2 cups inside the diff so i took the diff out and took it to the dealer and they replaced them for me. the cage was still good also. i put it all back together put the right fluid in it and filled the adc back up but its still kicking in and out of 4wd what could it be now???????

#3 ·
ive noticed it when im playing in water/mud..when its in reverse it will spin in 2wd then just kick in without me mashing the button and it will do it going forward when i give it alot of gas..but i drives fine when just easing around the yard

#5 ·
AWD engaging and disengaging

850xp AWD systems will go in awd even if the switch is in 2wd thats why its called awd, but when you place the switch in 4wd its in 4wd not awd it does not need the rear tires to slip to grab in the front if in 4wd, however i do know my bike does the same thing, ill be driving normal down a trail and awd activates and my steering gets stiff as if the front diff does not seem to be in 4wd all the way. so i stop back up and go back forward and its back to normal. The only way to stop this problem is put the diff actuator on a toggle switch that way you can have true 2wd and dont have to worry about the front locking in when it shouldnt. This will save diffs and axles.

#6 ·
850xp AWD systems will go in awd even if the switch is in 2wd thats why its called awd, but when you place the switch in 4wd its in 4wd not awd it does not need the rear tires to slip to grab in the front if in 4wd, however i do know my bike does the same thing, ill be driving normal down a trail and awd activates and my steering gets stiff as if the front diff does not seem to be in 4wd all the way. so i stop back up and go back forward and its back to normal. The only way to stop this problem is put the diff actuator on a toggle switch that way you can have true 2wd and dont have to worry about the front locking in when it shouldnt. This will save diffs and axles.
I do not believe that to be true. If in 2wd, I don't believe the Armature plates magnetize. The front wheels should never get any power. Once in 4wd/AWD, whatever acronym you choose, it will remain in 2wd, until the rear wheels slip; I believe by 1 lug.

#7 ·
True/ 2wd is 2wd rear only/ 4x4 is awd (when the rear slips approx 2 lugs of rear tire rotation)/ 4x4 only works in reverse if you hold the override button in.

#8 ·
Not true about 4x4 in reverse, my 850 will go into 4x4 without override.

#9 ·
K well whomever is right good. but maybe its my bad ass xp with 31laws that does it, its one month old and ive had a new front diff, u joint, and axle not from dogging it out and doing stupid sh*t, both times it was in reverse, awd was a poor design for a xp (if you lift it and put tires on it) if stock its fine but whats the point of a big powerful bike with 26" turf savers, none is the point. So in 2wd yes 4wd will engage when the back tires slip mine is lifted and has 31s the unexpected 4wd is binding the front diff and causing damage so my experience it does engage, and reverse 4wd working thats no discussion 4wd works in reverse without the over ride button in. if you dont think so put it in 4wd and do a reverse wheelie if you think it wont. oh just in case u might want to hang on.

#11 ·
Yes it sounds dumn and inaccurate but its the way it works, i use 2wd all the time never 4wd but when the bike starts to slip the rear the front will engage i see it all the time it pisses me off but its the way its made, i asked my dealer locally owned and operated, he said yes in 2wd it will engage sounds stupid but awd is not 4wd so my only explanation is 2wd turns to awd which is differ than 4wd then you swap to 4x4 and its in true 4wd, i dunno, but if you put a toggle switch on the diff actuator than you can stop the problem and have true 2wd, my understanding from the dealer there not entirely trully 2wd, just saying my bike is brand new and the awd will engage in 2wd, but what im concerned about is the 4x4 locks in randomely, just driving on a trail, so i dunno, its under warranty and i get no problems when i bring it in, they fix it and say sign here for the warranty claim and take it easy on that bike,

#13 ·
what does the switch say awd or 2wd

#14 ·
There is no true 4wd on a 850's. It is not locked in all the time. Sounds like your dealer either doesn't want to deal with the machine or doesn't wat to deal with you.

#16 ·
This is how the 4wd/AWD works.

in 2wd it is 2wd ALL the time. F or R.
In 4wd/AWD it is in AWD when the rear tires slip ONLY in F. In R it is in 4WD/AWD ALL the time. Does not matter if the back tires slip or not, it IS in 4WD/AWD in R.

4WD/ADC is just the same way.

If yours is not then something is wrong.

This type of AWD is not a limited slip type front diff, it is a limited slip type front AND rear engagement. There is no 3 wheel lock. It is 4wd or 2wd.

#19 ·
easiest way to check to see if its a mechanical or electrical problem, just disconnect your awd switch, if the problem goes away, then its electrical, if not then you probably broke the roll cage in the front diff. but it shouldn't kick in when the switch is in 2wd, I spent all of new years out on the ice spinning cookies and i didn't have it happen

#20 ·
little note ran in to this on my 330 mag had the rear tires up and running it in gear and the front locked in and toke off while in 2 wd changed fluid and its fine now

#21 ·
1. The front Hilliard system is very tempermental and everything has to be perfect for it to work. Take a look at a factory manual to see if everything is correct. Dealers have been known to screw up.

2. Awd drive kicks in when AWD is selected and the back tires slip. So, You can put your atv up on jack stands, the ATV in all wheel drive, run the atv and front tires should turn and do the opposite. Then you can tell if everything is good and use this to help trouble shoot your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.