Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19003
What oil for the transmission?

850 xp.
What are the alternatives to the polaris tranny oil?

I read 0-40w synth engine oil is good.

I have demande drive plus for the front

Mobil 1 0-40w for the engine

Mobil1 gl5 75-90w for the rear diff.

Just not sure on the trans. of course everyone says just buy the polaris oil...Dealer is 30 miles away. Not gonna happen.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore View Post
850 xp.

Just not sure on the trans. of course everyone says just buy the polaris oil...Dealer is 30 miles away. Not gonna happen.
IIRC the Polaris AGL syn is for the tranny.. Mail order it, I use EBay. To my knoledge there is not a substitute..

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal 12V plug. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #14376
You managed to get the Demand Drive Plus. Get the Polaris AGL for the tranny. If not I would hate to see your next post as a Polaris hater because your transmission grenaded. I just made an 80 mile round trip to pick up fluids. Don't guess I'll miss that hour and a half of my life too bad. Just don't want you to have problems down the road caused by the wrong oil.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
You managed to get the Demand Drive Plus. Get the Polaris AGL for the tranny. If not I would hate to see your next post as a Polaris hater because your transmission grenaded. I just made an 80 mile round trip to pick up fluids. Don't guess I'll miss that hour and a half of my life too bad. Just don't want you to have problems down the road caused by the wrong oil.
You do understand that the AGL is in the family of gear lube 75/90w and such. The transmission oil is oil not gear lube. Now there is a AGL plus and that is different. Crack open a container of the XP trans oil and compare it to AGL and AGL plus.

I'd hate you to run what the dealer tells you and it be wrong like most of the stuff they say. We can't always just use blind faith, we have to figure it out by understanding it. Polaris does not make oil. The make labels.

On the note of the DDP fluid. I had a chinese SxS. A wolverine 800 4x4. It used a Hilliard type front diff. That's why I have the DDP. There is no other readily available fluid to sub it out.

Hell, my Polaris dealer gave me the wrong spark plugs last week for their top line ATV. TWICE! The 2nd time I just asked to see if they would do it again. Clueless.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
Quote:
850 xp.

IIRC the Polaris AGL syn is for the tranny.. Mail order it, I use EBay. To my knoledge there is not a substitute..

CW
It's not the drive, it's that I want to know what the fluid is. We have figured out the rest, lets do this. Lets not be sheeple.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
Quote:
850 xp.

CW
It's not the drive, it's that I want to know what the fluid is. We have figured out the rest, lets do this. Lets not be sheeple.
Umm, its not a generic fluid bottled in the polaris bottle.

So there really isnt a direct substitute.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Wink

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
You managed to get the Demand Drive Plus. Get the Polaris AGL for the tranny. If not I would hate to see your next post as a Polaris hater because your transmission grenade's. I just made an 80 mile round trip to pick up fluids. Don't guess I'll miss that hour and a half of my life too bad. Just don't want you to have problems down the road caused by the wrong oil.
You do understand that the AGL is in the family of gear lube 75/90w and such. The transmission oil is oil not gear lube. Now there is a AGL plus and that is different. Crack open a container of the XP trans oil and compare it to AGL and AGL plus.

I'd hate you to run what the dealer tells you and it be wrong like most of the stuff they say. We can't always just use blind faith, we have to figure it out by understanding it. Polaris does not make oil. The make labels.

On the note of the DDP fluid. I had a Chinese SxS. A wolverine 800 4x4. It used a Hilliard type front diff. That's why I have the DDP. There is no other readily available fluid to sub it out.

Hell, my Polaris dealer gave me the wrong spark plugs last week for their top line ATV. TWICE! The 2ND time I just asked to see if they would do it again. Clueless.
You are quite correct, mistakes are common place after all we are all human... Ultimately the responsibility rests with the installer to be sure the product is correct.

Concerning the oil, you asked, we responded.
Do a search, this has been hashed over ad infinitum. If you do not like the advice, don't take it. that's the beauty of the forum, you can pick and choose who you listen too. Also much like going to different docs for second, third and fourth opinions, you WILL eventually fond someone to tell you what you want to hear...

I agree, Polaris does NOT make oil, they have it made for them. If your thinking, they could simply re label something else already in production for a different application. They could also just as easily have it made specifically to there specs and it could be different enough to cause problems too...
To my mind, the cost and difficulty (Or lack there of) in attaining the factory product is a MOOT point. Unless the buyer simply likes to complain. Anyone can get these items shipped directly to there home/business if your too far to drive to get it themselves. They are available at a myriad of dealers on line or thru EBay.

I have read on other forums of a substitute, I have also read of tranny failures associated... To my mind why chance it?? I paid allot of hard earned $$ to get my machine, why quibble over a double-sawbuck?? All this over a 20$ bottle of fluid that works for multiple oil changes!

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal 12V plug. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

Old 09-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19003
So what you're saying is just go to the dealer and buy what they say because they know best and it's just not worth figuring out what they are wrong or right about.

Gotcha.

No offense, but I don't operate like that.

I'm not looking for what I want to hear, I'm looking for the answer. Huge difference and it's rather insulting to assume the prior.

Thx for your time.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
I gotta tell ya is this really that big of a deal? I mean we are disagreeing about a 15-18$ bottle of oil here... What difference does it really make???

Don't take my word here, as I said before GO SEARCH IT!!

Good luck,
CW

Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #14376
Quote:
So what you're saying is just go to the dealer and buy what they say because they know best and it's just not worth figuring out what they are wrong or right about.

Gotcha.

No offense, but I don't operate like that.

I'm not looking for what I want to hear, I'm looking for the answer. Huge difference and it's rather insulting to assume the prior.

Thx for your time.
No, go to the dealer and buy what the owners manual says is the proper fluid. Then it doesn't matter if the dealer knows or not. Polaris knows best what works in the machines they design and build.
Good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Search tags for this page

agl plus transmission fluid substitute

alternative polaris transmission oil

polaris agl oil substitute
polaris agl plus substitute

polaris agl substitute

polaris atv transmission fluid

polaris atv transmission oil

polaris gear oil substitute

polaris transmission fluid

polaris transmission fluid substitute

polaris transmission oil

polaris transmission oil substitute

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.