Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 01:25 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #16953
Recommend tires?

So I've been Googling around old threads for the last couple days trying to research what tires to get. Most people looking for aftermarket tires seem to be concerned about mud performance.

I'm not.

I don't ride in mud holes on purpose, only occasionally when I can't get around one. So it's not a primary feature I'm concerned about.

I live in the mid-west, so I get deep slushy snow for a good amount of the year, otherwise I'm on sandy trails, gravel, and hard pack.

I've been riding on Big Horns for the last several years on my Grizzly, and they've treated me well. I'm just wondering if there's something else I should be looking at.

The machine is an 850XP, and I'm not interested in buying rims either, just new radials for the stock rims.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1986
Well, I'm sure you will get the regularly recommended.... Grim Reapers, Spartacus and a couple others, and well they should, as they seem to be great tires. However, after riding on my buddies quad with the tires below, and putting them on my quad for a test ride, they are going to be my next tire...

New Kenda Bear Claw HTR - 8 ply radial

Last edited by North Branch; 10-28-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #14212
I'm in NM and it sounds like we ride in similar conditions. I put a set of GBC Dirt Commanders on the stock rims and have been impressed with the tires. They ride nice, are not much heaver than stock, are 8 ply, and have taken every nasty trail and sharp obstacle I have thrown at them. I wrote a full review on them Link

Action
GBC Dirt Commanders
ATV Guru Brush Guard F&R
Ricochet Skid Plates
UNI Air Filter

2013 RZR 570 LE
Half windshield
Sport Top
More to come.....
Old 10-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19254
are you looking for stock size or bigger ? if you are going 26's look at the maxxis mud bug radial. they ride extremely well for a mud tire. if you are going 27-28 i love my zilla's. people always say they are just a mud tire but you would never know you have a mud tire on with these things. work awesome in wet snow and of course mud, but on the hard pack very well also. they are very light and look awesome. others will say different but i have tried alot of tires , i have found with many gbc tires they are very hard and wear real well, i ran gators for a long time and they look identical to mud bugs but they don't even compare in performance, not even close. the only thing they did better was that they wore better.
2009 polaris xp 850 epsmossy oak ,28" zilla's , k&n filter , pure polaris front brush guard , pure polaris front rack bag , pure polaris gun scabard , dalton clutch kit. if you own a 850 xp and don't run a dalton clutch kit YOU'RE NUTS !!!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Supporting Vendor
Premium Member

Member #1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Branch View Post
Well, I'm sure you will get the regularly recommended.... Grim Reapers, Spartacus and a couple others, and well they should, as they seem to be great tires. However, after riding on my buddies quad with the tires below, and putting them on my quad for a test ride, they are going to be my next tire...

New Kenda Bear Claw HTR - 8 ply radial

I was looking at this tire just this morning for our new test tire. Please do tell us more.

Owner of Thor's TheATVSuperStore.com. Where we test what we sell and only sell the best!

2012 Sportsman 850XP Orange Madness. TheATVSuperStore.com lock and ride rear box, 60" American Eagle Plow w/ETS, Collett headsets, heated grips/thumb, shield, ATV Mirrors, 3 in 1 ATV hitch, RotoPax fuel pack built in front box, Orange Ricochet A Arm Guards, 26" STI Black Diamond XTR tires on HD3 Wheels, TheATVSuperStore Helmet & HID lights all from www.TheATVSuperStore.com
Old 10-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Supporting Vendor
Premium Member

Member #1219
PS I vote for the Grim Reaper! My favorite tires of all I have tested so far! I have over 2100 miles of testing with them & love them. Here is a pic showing one with over 2K miles on it and the other one is brand new. From Snow, sand, gravel, hard packed trail to black top they are awesome. Feel free to call the shop with any questions.

Owner of Thor's TheATVSuperStore.com. Where we test what we sell and only sell the best!

2012 Sportsman 850XP Orange Madness. TheATVSuperStore.com lock and ride rear box, 60" American Eagle Plow w/ETS, Collett headsets, heated grips/thumb, shield, ATV Mirrors, 3 in 1 ATV hitch, RotoPax fuel pack built in front box, Orange Ricochet A Arm Guards, 26" STI Black Diamond XTR tires on HD3 Wheels, TheATVSuperStore Helmet & HID lights all from www.TheATVSuperStore.com
Old 10-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #208
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
PS I vote for the Grim Reaper! My favorite tires of all I have tested so far! I have over 2100 miles of testing with them & love them. Here is a pic showing one with over 2K miles on it and the other one is brand new. From Snow, sand, gravel, hard packed trail to black top they are awesome. Feel free to call the shop with any questions.

Thor -- I thought you really liked the STI Black Diamond XTR tires...that I read in a different thread.

Can you give a comparison between the two? They are both cool looking tires...

biz
2011 Sportsman 550 Touring EPS -- Wifie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sold 2009 Sportsman XP 850 Sold
Purchase date: May 2009
Sold date: December 2010
======== ===========
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19254
hey guys , i don't want to get in a shit storm here, where i live on the northern coast of british columbia canada we ride everything from 6 ft. skegs to 6ft. of snow, and thats just in the day of riding and thats why i run zillas or mud bugs . my friend from vancouver island victoria showed up with big horns and was pissed because of the diversify of riding we do, he was winching steady and we were all calling it. that's why we run zillas or mud bugs because our terrain is so diverse. i ride with alot of can am boys and alot of yamaha boys and we have at least one rule we agree on .tires !! it's funny how you can live100 km apart and have such of a difference of opinion , anyways guys all i know right now and i've had a few rye's now , is that you show up with the tires that you want to run in our area and you'll be crying . and if you guys think that u're area is the same , i doubt it unless you live in washington state !! by the way my buddy from here is destroying enduro cross , thats kitimat , british columbia canada . if you ever talk or message this guy it will be a carbon copy of what i just said his name is BEN REGO he runs a husaberg 450, if you have buddies that run enduro cross you have heard of the junkyard dog and all he ran on his quads was mud bugs or zillas , anyways guys i feel like i'm on a huge rant right now but i'm pretty passionate when it comes to this crap because quading is on a major budget compared to drag racing my mopars.
2009 polaris xp 850 epsmossy oak ,28" zilla's , k&n filter , pure polaris front brush guard , pure polaris front rack bag , pure polaris gun scabard , dalton clutch kit. if you own a 850 xp and don't run a dalton clutch kit YOU'RE NUTS !!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #19410
I like my swamplites. Several of my riding partners run them and have never had any problems. Smooth ride on hardpack and 6 ply. I ran XTR's on my rzr and cut a sidewall with less than 100 miles. The bias ply tires seem to be much tougher IMO. The added weight of the rzr may have been a factor IDK.
'11 crimson 850 xp eps. 27" swamplites. 2500# popo winch. front lock and ride. AtvGuru cobra front. Big gun evo(running modded stock for deer season, evo = offroad harley), weisco fuel controller, k&n filter, composite rear rack extender.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:20 AM
Supporting Vendor
Premium Member

Member #1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by biz4two View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post

Thor -- I thought you really liked the STI Black Diamond XTR tires...that I read in a different thread.

Can you give a comparison between the two? They are both cool looking tires...

biz
'
'

My favorite tire is the Grim Reapers. The Grims are perfect on just about every type of terrain. They also do great in snow. I was able to plow 24 inches of snow with a 60 inch blade last year with the help of them. Not sure how the BD's will do since snow is not here yet. The Black Diamond XTR is 2nd on my list. I do not think they will not last as long as the Grims. I can see some minor tread wear after 500 miles. But the Black Diamond XTR too is a great tire & gets the job done when needed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Search tags for this page
bear claw htr review
bearclaw htr vs bighorn
kenda bear claw vs maxxis bighorn

kenda bearclaw htr review

kenda bearclaw htr vs bighorn

kenda bearclaw htr vs maxxis bighorn

maxxis mud bug radial review
maxxis zilla vs kenda bear claw

mud bug radial review

mudbug radials in snow
mudbug vs zilla tires in snow
reviews of bear claw htr
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.