Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #24567
Polaris Plow mount mod.

I've had this plow since I got the quad, 3 years now. Love it, to me and for what I do its almost perfect. One small problem with it and its a design flawe. With the mount in place your factory ring for hooking up tow ropes to the front is covered. To me the mount itself doesnt effect ground clearance and it helps strengthen the front of the quad up (not that I think it needs it). Since my mount has been on its never been off. Heres a pic of facory with plow mount on. Also this pic was taken with me flat on my back facing up.

So the plain was to istall another ring to the front of the machine so if I do get stuck with some friends I can just hook up there with a tow rope and pull away. Other wise only 2 other places to hook, winch and front bumper. Not a fan of either of those. Heres some pics of the mod, not hard at all if you can weld and should be plenty strong enought to hold up.

The shiny spot is where I am going to mount it.

Ok got it tacked on, now to hook plow up and make sure it doesnt hit when plow is raised to the highest point.

Fits perfect, now the easy part. Welding.

Heres a (pic didnt turn out at all sorry about that) pic of the ring thats just 1/2" roung bar. I started out with it 6" long and U bent it in the middle with 2" spacing on the legs. Then cut the legs to the lenght I needed and angle cut them so it set flat on the face of the plow mount.

Thats about it, now I have a place to hook a tow rope without tearing up a winch if the guy pulling you hits it to hard or the bumper. Heres finished and painted, poorly I might add but painted.
PIAA Front Bumber lights upgraded to 55Amp
HMF swamp series muffler
HMF optimizer
K&N air filter
Polaris remote winch
Royal Purple 5w40 oil
Polaris rear bumper to match front that came with it
Polaris 2010 clutch
Polaris 2010 slipper clutch elevator
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
Looks good bud! But just a quick question,could you get me a shot of the plow mount?? I picked up a plow but can't find a maker so no mount kit.I have to build one. Thanks bud!
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #24567
Yeah sure. So you need a good pic of the mount itself right? Tomorrow I will stand it on end so you can see it better. Any other info you need?
HMF swamp series muffler
HMF optimizer
K&N air filter
Polaris remote winch
Royal Purple 5w40 oil
Polaris 2010 clutch
Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #24567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENOBADBOY View Post
Looks good bud! But just a quick question,could you get me a shot of the plow mount?? I picked up a plow but can't find a maker so no mount kit.I have to build one. Thanks bud!

Hey Reno heres a few pics and measurments for you. I have more pics in my album, look under modifacations and upgrades.

The round bar the plow hooks to is 1" diamitor and is 17" long. In this pic it runs from underneath the quad al the way to the 1" bar and raps around it and is stiched welded on.

now looking at it I would try and skip this and make the bottom plate come up to the 1" bar slight bend then up to the winch mount, right between the pull ring I installed. Then for the 1" bar just get some heavest wall pipe that fits as tight as you can get it to on the 1" bar and weld to the plate. Once that is done stick 1" bar in pipe centering it up and weld it on. You can then put some brace like what they did on the bottom for support if you plain on leaving it on al year round.

For the to side bolts it looks like they have made to so it suports the 1" bar, witch is smart for the way they biuldt it. Using the pipe you wont have to worry about that, just where the 2 bolts are on the side of the quad (by the tires) I would either weld two taps on or just when you cut the plate make this spot bigger so 3"long and 3" wider of both sides that would be 6" in that spot.

I hope this makes since LOL. Sorry I didnt get to talk to you more but do you need me to measure the hole thing out (not a problem) like from bottom bolt up to 1" bar and 1" bar up to winch mount???? Let me know.
HMF swamp series muffler
HMF optimizer
K&N air filter
Polaris remote winch
Royal Purple 5w40 oil
Polaris 2010 clutch
Old 04-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #9372
is this your design? or what manufactuer? the mount i have is an older model back then all the companys mounted the plows under the center of the bike..now i think they've all figured out theres no advantage to that and are moving the pivot up front like the one you have...some day i will have to modify mine like that as well..less drag under the bike and more lift for the plow
Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #24567
sp50098 this is a Glacier II mount. The only thing I did was weld a ring up high so I had a place to hook a tow rope too. reno was just asking for more picks cuase he has the plow but not the mount. I think he plains on making one. It wouldn't be had to make one and make it stronger then the polaris one either. Granted mines been on there since I got the quad new without any problems pushing snow and quading it the summer over logs, rocks and whatever else gets in my way lol.
HMF swamp series muffler
HMF optimizer
K&N air filter
Polaris remote winch
Royal Purple 5w40 oil
Polaris 2010 clutch
Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #22232
Wow. My Moose bumper is really gonna interfere with that setup. Guess I'm gonna be doing some major modification in the fall.
2011 850 X2, Warn 3000 RT Winch. Front steel rack extension. Winch saver. Lock and Ride Windshield. 27 inch Zilla Tires. Moose Front Bumper. Remote Booster Cables. Quadovator Reverse Overide Switch. Polaris Plow. Rear A Arm Guards.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #24567
Yeah at first look you might have too, but either way that's a nice looking bumper.
HMF swamp series muffler
HMF optimizer
K&N air filter
Polaris remote winch
Royal Purple 5w40 oil
Polaris 2010 clutch
Old 04-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
Hey thanks Will! I really appreciate it!! Yep, I'm gonna try and build mine. That set-up looks pretty strong, but I like your ideas also! Thanks again!!
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #24567
NP Reno, you need any more pics or measurements let me know. GL
HMF swamp series muffler
HMF optimizer
K&N air filter
Polaris remote winch
Royal Purple 5w40 oil
Polaris 2010 clutch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Search tags for this page

atv plow mods

how to attach plow to polaris scrambler

install plow polaris scrambler

moose bumper polaris plow
moose plow kits polaris scrambler 500
pics on mount polaris plow
plow falling off polaris
plow for scramber 850
polaris atv plow hook attachment too long
polaris plow damaging front bumper
polaris plow hook bent

polaris scrambler plow mount

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.