Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Member #21627
wiring harness corrosion

ok little insight srry for length. dec.2011 bought left over 2011 550xp great bike plenty of power rides unlike anyother bike ive riden. love it. bike is bone stock down to the tires just got 600 mi and around 70 hrs. im not guna lie i ride in mud n water. only had water over front rack once before quickly reversing out (relized was too deep). i spray off dirt and mud after every time i ride. last week got home from ryc atv weekend parked in garage for the night went to clean next day and wouldnt start. dash lite up and only one relay in fuse box clicking. took it to local dealer. same dealer that sponsers ryc. they first said had a lil corrosion in ignition switch they cleaned it then bike started ran fine. was loading it on trailer talking to tech that worked on it n he says "ya if ya ever have a problem with ur fan" n as he says this grabs wire harness were circiut breaker for fan is mabe 6 inches from fuse box. bike dyes and wont restart. this was sat. now today i get the call u need a whole harness and a ignition swithc guna be 1100 installed. said the harness was corroded. as soon as i mentioned warrenty its like they guy had it planned out "oh well you knw polaris wont cover that cause its not a manufactor defect". he wouldnt even take my extended warrenty papers.
i understand things corrode but really not in one year unless its submergedin straight salt water . anyone else have a wiring harness issue? i love this bike n owe like 4gs on it cant afford $1100 also cant afford a $7000 boat anchor
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #31272
If you're the least bit handy, you should be able to go over the harness and find anything bad visually. Mark and disconnect (one at a time) wires from harness connectors, spray with contact cleaner and smear with dielectric grease and reseat. This will eliminate bad connections, and most probably the cause of your trouble. If that doesn't solve your problem, I'm sure someone here will post up with the help you need. Hope its just the easy "clean and reseat" fix, bad components are harder to diagnose. Keep us posted? If you find anything significant, post some pics?

Last edited by jscheel1; 01-29-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM

Member #21627
well lucky i work as a tech at a dealer. luckly too the pins in the fuse block that r corroded happen to be one of the most common pins out there now days. i picked up bike from dealer and at least half of pins in fuse block r corroded. hardest part guna be gettin pins out of block. the wire that killed it was white n red from ignition switch to ecm relay. that wire actully broke off pin. well i guess it could be worse. will cost bout 10 bucks 2hrs n a pack of the cold stuff. i am also guna lengthin harness to lights and relocate block havnt decided were yet prolly behind battery. not trying to knock polaris but really leaving the bottom of fuse block open first mistake second was puting a plasic mud holding tray directly under it just sayin.

jared
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #31272
Sounds like you got it figured out, and a lot less than $1100! If you relocate anything, post up with some pics, might help solve the problem for others.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 AM

Member #21627
will do
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #16252
I popped the fuse panel out of its mounting tray and sprayed the bottom of it with battery terminal protector. Then I put it back, took all of the fuses and relays out, and sprayed the top with same battery terminal protector. 2 years with a few hardcore mudding events and almost 2 years of plowing and it still looks brand new.
Mine- 2011 Sportsman X2 550 With EPS!!-Mile Marker 2500lb Winch, Guru Brush Guard, 3000K HID's, PIAA Driving Lights, Autometer Phantom Oil Temperature, Coolant Temperature, and Voltmeter Gauges, Polaris Low Lock and Ride windshield, Acerbis Handguards, Symtec Heated Grips and Thumb warmer, 2+2 gallon Rotopax Fuel packs, Warn 60" Provantage Plow w/ Power Pivot

Hers- 2000 Magnum 325 2x4-Symtec Heated Grips and Thumb warmer, Oil Pressure gauge, working on a few other goodies

Click here to learn how to add EPS to an XP!!! ---> http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...eering-x2.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Search tags for this page
850 xp wireharness corroded
anyone ever had a yamaha rhino wiring harness go bad
clean atv wire harness
cleaning corroded retailer wires

coroded wires from fuse box on polaris

how to install wire harness on polaris predator
kawasaki teryx corroded wires
polaris 3500 winch manual
polaris sportsman 850 xp wire housing
polaris sportsman corrosion
polaris sportsman xp corrossion forum
sportsman 800 wiring harness has corrosion on relay
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.