2013 850 XP Won't Start, Click, Click, Click - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

2013 850 XP Won't Start, Click, Click, Click

I have a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 850 XP EPS Stealth... I just bought this quad last week from a dealer, it was a demo with 500 miles on it...

So this is my starting issue... I picked up my "new" quad at the dealer after getting them to put a set of camoplast tracks on and a glacier III blade... I loaded it up on my trailer and everything was good... Brought it home after and 1 1/2 hour drive in -15 degree Celsius weather and it started up like nothing... Took it off the trailer and drove it around and tried it out with the tracks... I put around 6 miles on it and everything was great... Turned off the quad and went in for supper, came back out a couple hours later and all I got was CLICK, CLICK, CLICK... It wouldn't start... So I pushed it into the heated garage... After about 2 hours of research on the internet it sounded like it could be a few things, starter, battery, etc... So I went to the garage and the battery seem good, 12.6 v... So I tried it again and nothing... CLICK, CLICK, CLICK... So I tried taping the starter while turning it over and the first time i did this nothing... I tried it again and all of a sudden it kind of turned over... then I tried it one more time and their she went... IT STARTED... Yes, back in action...

I called the dealer the next morning and told them what happened and they said its probably the starter and instead if taking it back and hour and a half away they would send me a new one if i could change it myself, I said I could so thats what they did...

I got my new starter a couple days later... I also went out and bought a new battery for my quad since I've head a lot of bad things about the stock batteries in these quads... I upgrade the battery to an Interstate / Yuasa YIX30L... 30aH and 385 CCA... I changed the started and replaced the battery... I tried it and it started no problem... Everything works, awesome....

The next mooring I was heading out ice fishing with my new quad, with it's new started and new battery, thinking I'll have no problems now... It started in my heated garage in the morning and I loaded on my trailer... It was -22 degrees Celsius this morning... I drove about and hour to my fishing spot, jumped on the quad to start it on the trailer... and vroom, it started no problem... I let it warm up for about 5 minutes and proceeded to back it off my trailer... I got it almost all the way off when I needed to turn just a hair while backing up and boom... IT QUIT, stalled or something... I tried starting it and CLICK,CLICK,CLICK.... What the F@$k... I get the EPS light on when i try starting it but thats it... CLICK, CLICK, CLICK...

So now I called the dealer and I have to bring it in... I was just wondering if this has happened it anyone or if anyone has any ideas what the problem is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Have you check to see if atv is charging when the engine is running. Maybe double check battery cables to make sure there tight?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

check connections on the solenoid

INDY LIKES PICS
2015 1000 Sportsman
2005 500 Sportsman
Yamaha 225 3 wheeler, the boys still love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I can't check if the battery is charging because the machine doesn't start... It's a brand new battery that was fully charged when i put it in so a dead battery is not the answer... Plus I had to winch the quad back onto my trailer using the winch and it winched on the quad without the quad running...

And the connections on the solenoid are fine... The chances of having loose connections on the solenoid on both starters would be low...
post #5 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Have tried to tap on starter to see if it will start? Maybe new starter is bad.

post #6 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have and that isn't the issue either... The original starter I took off works fine too as I bench tested it...
post #7 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

How about moving gear shift while trying to start it?

post #8 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I tried that too..
post #9 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:07 PM

I had this problem last weekend: have the extended warranty and am going to have the dealer look into it
post #10 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I have warranty on mine too and I'm taking it in to the dealer on Monday... I'll post what comes out of it... I'm thinking it has to do the EPS or the wiring... nothing else it could be... When I called the dealer they said it may just need to re-flashed but we'll see...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode