Front differential output seal leaking - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Front differential output seal leaking

My machine is a 2011 850 Touring LE. I just noticed some leakage from the front differential at the right axle. Diff fluid is down slightly, ADC fluid is fine. I am wondering how difficult it is to replace the seal. Obviously, the axle needs to be removed. But, can the seal then be removed, or does the side cover of the diff have to be removed? If that is the case, how much trouble could I get into there? Ironically, I still have Polaris extended warranty, but I am traveling for the summer, and don't want to tie up the machine for an extended time. I do plan to talk to the dealer in Flagstaff tomorrow, and see if they might be able to help out.

I may just keep a close watch on the fluid, and keep it topped off. But, I expect to put 2,000 to 3,000 miles on in the next few months. Currently at around17,500 miles.

I should have bought a service manual 3.5 years ago, but I will be getting a new machine in the fall, so don't want to spend $ on a manual now.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Tom, currently in eastern AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I cant answer your question off hand, but did i read that right, you have 17,500 miles on your 2011 850 touring?

2016 850sp
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Pull the axle and change the seal, if oil can get out water can get in

2012 Sportsman Touring 850 Bronze Mist LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

I made an appointment for the Flagstaff dealer to check it out next week. I ordered the seal kit, so it will be on hand. Polaris doesn't sell individual seals, only a kit with all the seals for the differential. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

AA: actually, I guess I lied a bit about the mileage. I was guessing when I made the original post. I just checked and it is at 17,399. My friend and riding partner has the same machine, and just turned over 20,000. BTW, I see that you are in Dublin, OH. I lived in north Columbus all my life, until I retired in 2005.

Tom, camping in the Ponderosa Pines in eastern AZ
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 05:45 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I'm definitely jealous. I'm lucky to get 400 miles a year now. Columbus isn't exactly the hot bed of atving. Just curious after all those miles have you had to replace anything major on your touring?

2016 850sp
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I have 1600 miles since 2005, and that includes using it for snow plowing, I have a 500.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread and I'm not trying to hijack it, but I am having the same problem on my 2010 850 Xp. My right front output seal is leaking. Well I drained the fluid and it was milky. The seal itself is not hard to replace. But I have a question on how the seal started to leak. I recently installed a triangle atv snorkel kit. The snorkel kit has you put bellows on the vent tubes to make it a closed system incase you would submerge it, water won't go into the differential through the vent tube. Now is that a good idea putting the bellows on the vent tube? Could to much pressure build up in the differential to cause the seal to let loose? I don't have much expierence with different types of snorkels, and was hoping for some input from other members.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

i am not a snorkel guy but the vent tube is a open system for the oil to expand and retract and if you close it the pressure has to go somewhere.
why not to the seal?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

The bellows allows pressure to expand and con tract as needed. Now if the seal was already going, the added bit of pressure might have helped it fail.

850 XP
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I got the seal changed out tonight. I agree with both statements. So I decided to run all the vents tubes back up to the headlight pod. I never expect to go that deep anyways. I will do a test run around the sub division to annoy my neighbors and change the front diff fluid again. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up in the diff. Thanks again for the input..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode