Polaris ATV Forum banner

550 front diff

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  North Branch 
#1 ·
is it possible for the hillard clutch in the front diff to slip under heavy loads? awd works great under low load conditions. or is there a clutch at the fwd output shaft in the transmission? thanks

#3 ·
thanks Bruce. this forum is such a wealth of information, been reading for quite some time

#4 · (Edited)
finally got around to pulling front diff from quad and tearing it down. found the roller cage broken up into a million peices. is there an alternative to the cheap plastic polaris cage for the xp's? or do they got me by the balls?

and the pic isn't my real teeth, or the real me. lol

#6 ·
seems polaris has got alot of things on the xp that only polaris parts will work on them
basically got u on alot of things
but i wouldnt trade my xp in for anything other then a newer model :)
im sure in a year or 2 there will be all kinds of aftermarket parts out for the XP

#7 ·
replaced the cage with the stock polaris one. working good now. i checked out the link on that aftermarket one in the earlier post and wow thats expensive. looks like a good product though and looks like it may fit the xp's. who wants to try? anyone?

#9 ·
i got a rock stuck between the rim and the caliper. was in a mud hole so i couldnt see it and naturaly i nailed the throttle and heard a terrible grinding sound coming from the front diff. drove out of the mud hole like a 3 legged dog with the lhf wheel dragging along. luckily i was still able to finish the derby in 2 wheel drive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.