Polaris ATV Forum banner

middle Tennessee

21K views 93 replies 20 participants last post by  stave7119 
#1 ·
Anyone on here from middle Tennessee that rides at. Woolys, wheelin in the country or west point. Maybe somewhere I dont know about yet???

#56 ·
I've only been there once and didn't see any trail markers or maps. Most of the trails either dead end or loop so you should be OK. With all the people that will probably be around there this weekend you should have plenty of help if you happen to get lost.

#57 ·
Thanks! His first time riding trails through the woods. I showed him some youtube videos and he's super excited! I have a rack bag on back with a seat built in for him...

#58 · (Edited)
He should have a really good time there. Not very difficult. and fun to ride. There is one place that drops done a hill with a very steep off camber trail. Don't try it. I crashed there last September and it hurt something awful....not to mention you will have someone on the back. Take him done to Haley creek....you should be able to cross it this time of year, and if not just turn around and go back to the main drive through the WMA. Have fun and be careful...Vandal

#60 ·
I'm just north of Nashville. I ride Woolys, WITC, LBL and also been to Coal Creek(windrock), Brimstone, Several times. I also have a Toyota trail rig that I love to wheel in. If anyone is interested we can meet up at the next planned ride.

#63 · (Edited)
Where is coalmont? I have rode all over east tn except for brimstone. Rode the west and east side of royal blue.West side better my opinion. More technical trails and a lot more creek crossings. Love that place. Been to Windrock and Pickett state forest several times. Rode the trails south of Trails End campground for one day. All great places to ride. As far as middle tn goes, I got to ride at Monteagle a couple of years ago and loved it. Really rocky and technical. I live in West TN and all we have is Turkey Bay or Natchez Trace. Both are good places to ride but I've rode them so much I have them memorized. Get kind of bored riding the same stuff all the time. Always looking for new places and people to ride with.

#64 ·
Hi yall from Tennessee!!! It's gonna be riding time here before long and I no longer have any riding buds anymore.. We had all gave it up several years ago and I have gotten me a nice quad and want to do some riding!! Back when we rode we went to Land between the lakes and somewhere down in Columbia,tn.. Looking for some people to get together and do some riding! I live about 30 miles north of Nashville in Springfield .. Help me get this thread going and lets do some riding soon.

#66 ·
Hey I may be interested in getting together for a ride. Have not trail rode in a few years since retiring from the Army, just use my 700 for Duck Hunting.

#67 ·
I deer hunt among just hunting period and pull antique tractors..I got this atv as a upgrade from a 250 big red I've been using..After getting this thing running right I've got the itch to hit some trails!! I haven't rode since I was about 22 so about 12 years have went by..Look forward to hopefully meeting up with you guys and slinging some dirt around!!

#73 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to be coming down from Northern Illinois the first week of October to pick up a sportsman 570 from abernathys in union city TN. My girlfriend and I are looking for a cabin in the woods/mountains, hopefully with a pond on site and relatively close to atv trails. Any suggestions? I Google but there are SO many places I can't make heads or tails. My girlfriend is a beginning rider so simple trails would be best for safety.

If you can reccomendation a riding park and or a cabin rental I'm all ears! We are willing to go anywhere in the state but would prefer somewhere in the central part of the state.

Thanks!

#74 · (Edited)
I think most will agree the best trails in TN are in the eastern part. Windrock, Brimstone and Royal Blue are three that will offer great trail riding for all levels of expertise. As far as a lake or pond on site I know of none. I'm sure there is either motels, campgrounds or cabin rental at some of these places. Google them and see what they say. Sorry....the middle of the state doesn't have a lot to offer for trail riding

If you are going to Abernathy's to buy your quad.....google Turkey Bay at land between the lakes. That is about the only good trail system around that area....and I believe its in Kentucky, but very close to the TN-KY border, and is situated between Ky Lake and Lake Barkley, on a very large peninsula. Probably only a two hour or so drive from Union City Tn....maybe less. Good luck

#78 ·
Even though Turkey Bay has low elevation its a good ride with some good hills, some mud and probably some dust this time of year. A good friend of mine lives near there and really likes riding Turkey bay. And this way its not a 5 hour trip to east Tennessee to get to ride something good, plus the lakes are great. There are elk there and Bison and lots of deer. A lot to see at land between the lakes

#77 ·
^^^^^^^^Look up three posts

#79 ·
Found this post after I'd IM'd Vandal. I'm from Lebanon TN. Got my ATV to use specifically for duck hunting in flooded rice fields in Arkansas but I find its so much fun that I can't stay off of it. I "aerated" my yard this past weekend with my new tires. . . lol!

I've been to the Covington Pike bottoms area in Memphis. It's not any type of official ATV trail or even sanctioned for riding, it's just one of those places folks go. It's in a high crime area, there are burned out cars, piles of trash, but if you want mud, that's the place. There are lot of mudders that go there and plenty of trails to keep you busy all day. You'll see lots of snorkeled ATVs there. If you go, someone there will tell give you tips and tell you about the trails. When a buddy and I went there for the first time, someone chased us down and warned us that we needed to improve the security of our trailer, so we chained it to the fence. If you go through mud holes, be sure you have a buddy to winch you out. There is a facebook group called "Covington Pike Mud Slingers" that posts some pics and tips for riding there.

I've also been to Natchez Trace State Park just off of I-40. It's got some fire roads and trails. Parking is tight, you can park your truck/trailer just off the road on the fire trails. Some trails were developed by riders off of marked trails. It's enough to keep you busy for half day. A good place for young riders. Also a good place to break in an ATV. There is a buried gas pipeline that goes through the park. ATVers have used that but it's posted not for trail rides. (that looks like the most fun of all though). There are trails on both sides of the interstate. Don't get caught on the pavement.

I've been wanting to try Turkey Bay Off-Highway Vehicle area. Also, I'd like to try Windrock sometime. Never been to either. Open for a Mid-Tn trail ride sometime.

#80 ·
Always up for a ride! Taking my son to Natchez Trace Park to ride Friday. Sat/Sun heading to Royal Blue with some guys I used to work with to ride...

#82 ·
There is not a lot to ride other than private property in Middle Tennessee, but we always go to east Tennessee for our fall ride. Windrock, Brimstone, and Royal Blue are all great trail rides, plus I'm sure there are a few outlaw trails in east Tn also. I don't know a thing about west TN other than its too flat for me

#84 ·
We travel much farther to go to West Virginia to ride, so its just how bad you really want to ride I guess

#87 ·
I am looking for recommendations....Wife and I are planning a trip to visit her sister in Franklin, TN next month. I had mentioned to the Mrs that there are a number of Off Road Parks in the area so she wants to take our machines along for the week. Wife has gotten very cautious since she tipped hers over last spring and the sister in law is a novice.

I would like something that is open during the week, but not too far from Nashville area. Windrock sounds good, but 3 hr drive might not work well. Any suggestions as to where to go?

#88 ·
From Franklin the closest ORV park is near Columbia Tn about an hour from Franklin, but I don't know their operating day schedule. Other than that you're going to have to drive 2-3 hours for good riding. You have Prentiss Cooper WMA in Whitwell Tn but that will take you 2.5 hours from Franklin. I don't think you can make it to Windrock in 3 hours from Franklin. Prentiss Cooper is good riding and not very difficult so the Wife might feel secure doing a place like that Good luck

#89 ·
Thank you for the reply! I will look into that one. From what I have been able to find, most places are only open on the weekends. The original plan was to be at my sister in laws on Wednesday. Then the wife and I ride somewhere Thursday and Friday using Franklin as a base. Sister in Law would join us on Saturday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.