Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 850XP or Outlander 1000?

14K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  golf12 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am going to be making a purchase soon and I was wondering if I could get you all to give me some pro's and con's on both machines.

Thanks in advance. :shakehands:

#2 ·
welcome!

not going to really going to go into pros/cons until i tell you this...

now both machines are VERY different... its like apples or oranges...
essentially both are the same, they are QUADS..
but they are distinctively different in to what clients they are oriented...
polaris is like a pickup, any pickup, say a ford F-350...
its tough, durable, has very good 4x4... good clearance and such...
BUT you wont be buying a f-350 and expect the same MPG as a civic right? nor the same weight, nor the same acceleration/handling as a ferrari...

on the other end of the ring, we have the can am... id compare it to a nissan GTR... it looks good to some. its sporty, light, has an amazing handling fast accel.. now.. the can am is a gtr on steroids as it has about 12" of clearance...
BUT... this is where the "cons" begin, now you wouldnt expect much of a MPG from a gtr.. but.. the gtr is awd... but its not "4x4".
by this i mean, the polaris has a true 4x4 system that works... its more "technical", you can go in a mud hole, climb a hill. do anything really..
on the other hand, the can am.. well.. it will keep your wheels from excessive spinning, prevent you from a spin-out, keep you on the road, get you up that snowy hill... but throw it in a mudhole... well most likely by the time it locks in, you will be stuck.

so... in that text i pretty much summed up the popo vs cannedham.
but here it is again but in brief point forims:
Polaris:
pros -very good technical 4x4 system
- heavy
-made for work/and comfort.

cons: - heavy...
-"mpg"

now notice on both as a con and pro i put in "heavy"
by this i mean, that for some, like me, i enjoy the heavier machine. same as some mudders, people who tow trailers around.. and such.

can am..:
pros: - sport oriented
-light
-handling

cons:- 4x4 system
-sport oriented.

as again, sport oriented is in both the categories... because its a VERY very discussed characteristic.
riding around a beaten trail for hours, the person on the can am will be exhausted/numb while the polaris owner will be feeling fine..
but, some find that Cadillac ride boring. and would like to go 80MPH and make a drift/sharp turn.(i wont recommend doing that with any quad... most likely you will flip and might end up being picked up piece by piece)
but want to go in that huge mudhole? you wont pass through it with a can am...

so... what type of riding you do, what you are looking for in a machine depends on the quad you will get. maybe one looks better than the other for you...

both machines are reliable, although id avoid the 1000 as its a new machine... still probably has some bugs in it..

hope i helped.

#8 ·
I don't know how big you are, but I'm over 400lbs and the Polaris 850XP is one of the few machines that doesn't bottom out with my fat ass on it. And she won't run out of breath on steep hills. EFI eliminates the need for rejetting carbs for mountain use.

And the ride.....oh man, this is the Cadillac of the Forest!

#4 ·
NOPE...
honestly... considering how many polarises get sold (thousands) and only SOME people have problems...
polaris isnt a bugatti veyron that gets assembled by hand..
every production line thing ever built will hae defects here and there...

honestly, owning 2 polarises myself, and MANY friends with polarises and MUCH MORE with can ams, the people with polaris always seem more happy to me with their machines.
and people with can ams seem to be happy 2-3 years until they run into problems...
and really, they DO run into problems, more often than they would like, and more often than any one with a polaris...
i meant lemons exist in any brand.. but knowing Bombardier (brp) whom are local to me, i wouldnt buy from them... the boats and skis i have are build cheaply... the design is innovative, good pricing and such... but looking back, i sometimes regret the purchases...

either way, both companies really are dependable and reliable.
but knowing can am.. you will run into problems.. maybe nothing major but... nothing pleasant either.
and as the 1000 is a new machine.. im sure it has some bugs that will be worked out in the 2nd year production..

as again. depends on what you do with the atv... it will directly depend on your purchase...

if you want help, then tell us, what you are going to do with it (ex; mostly trail ride, plow, work , etc.)

another thing i might want to add, as you are a big guy,(depending on the weight)
you will prefer one suspension over the other.. maybe the can ams suspension is too stiff for me but good for you..
honestly.. look for upcoming atv shows/reviews as well as events. maybe get a friend to give you a small tour of his machine.
most preferably, maybe even find a place that rents atvs, rent one for the weekend, and ride them... who knows, maybe you will end up inlove with a brand?

#6 ·
and when trail riding will you be going into mud holes ? climbing rocks? crossing creeks?
if so that favors the 850 polaris.
if not, then the 1000 would be better as its lighter/more agile/sportier..

honestly, when getting my atv i was saying "it will be only for work"
which it was for 2 years as i was working on my property... now i trail ride...

who knows whats around the corner for you?
new house with a big driveway? that you will want to plow with your atv and not shovel snow?
all that favors the polaris...

honestly, to me its a way more versatile atv than the can ams...

#7 ·
you want me to name out the list of things that have broke down on my brand new 850 that has been really well toke care of and dues not even have 1600 miles. Because its a long list for under 1600 miles. rite now i am at the point that i want to switch to Suzuki because i no they are dependable well built bikes.

#9 ·
sorry to hear this, but you can get this WITH AND ANY BRAND. it was a lemon. if any NEW machine gave me headache @ less than 500-1000miles other than changing the oil and the first service.
i will drop the thing right back to the dealer. And i WILL demand a new one.
good luck with the suzuki. but its like comparing a cadillac to a honda civic...
like i say "fully equiped" VS bone stock...
its not even close to the same machine.
the ride, engine , features dont EVEN COMPARE...
NO BRAND in the world offers 100% security that it WONT break...

#10 ·
I no i have had way better luck with my suzuki's I kicked there ass and the kept going I babied my 850 because It was m,y dream bike i finally got the bike that had every thing i wanted but she has had the worst reliability even my other 850 and 800 (actually my dads) have had a problem with way more miles

#11 ·
isn't the biggest suzuki made only like 15hp more then the sportsman 500 lmao

#12 · (Edited)
i dont do fast riding and i am not really heavy so not a big deal and also with a vdi clutch kit and new exhaust and 109 injector they will run head to head with a outty 800 and also have better mpg I found that out on the can-am forums so if i want it to be fast I can easily do it if it running with a outty it would smoke my 850

#13 ·
50 hp is more then i need. my average speed is maybe 20 only reason i got the 850 over 550 was because the non eps 850 was cheaper then the 550 eps witch was the only 550 there

#15 ·
the average speed you go at the age of 14 is 20....

#16 ·
ya where i live there not to many wide open areas or logging rodes But when i get the shot to open her up i did mabe 10 times

#17 ·
and the king has better mpg and most my good rides are always 50 plus miles witch its nice then

#18 ·
800T,
Don't you think it is time to move on and quit bashing Polaris all the time? We all know you are unhappy and we have all read numerous times why. I think you sometimes forget what you post as you seem to contradict yourself quite often about how you ride, yet is is always no fault of your own when something breaks. I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I'm tired of hearing it and reading about it in almost every thread.
If you do get a Suzuki I hope it holds up better to your abuse and you are happy with it.

#19 ·
why do u guys all think i abuse these bikes i dont my bike is just a shity lemon that was a in house build ok

#20 ·
I've sold my 2010 CanAm with 7000km on it (I ride a lot). Had it from new and issues were extremely hot exhaust that burnt my legs many times. I had to cut a hole in the inner fender to get better cooling of exhaust pipe, then header wrapp, it was still hard to run it in the summer. Arround 5000km new belt, arround 6000 km universal joint went on driveshaft. No abuse to it, just light trail and road riding. The "burning legs" issue was never solved to the bottom, I just made it little bit more acceptable. Even today, new CanAm comes with the same problem.
Now, my Polaris Sportsman 850 Touring EPS (traded CanAm in September 2011 for it new) was huge difference for me. It has much superior stability in corners, rear roll bar, excellent suspension, no burning legs problem, better front lights, better driver's position, worse passenger position, less space for rear cargo. But, if I go back knowing what I know now, I'd never even think of CanAm, it would be Polaris back in 2010.

#21 ·
The can-am is badass hands down, they are a good quality machine. Tons of powers!!! and u can make absolute monters out of them. but 850 has good power too and looks good. my next purchase will be a can-am tho. I love my popo, but i defiantly like those canams.

#23 ·
The polaris has adjustable shocks. So if your big and heavy you can stiffen the shock to allow for your extra weight and make it ride to your suit you. Also tire pressure can stiffen and soften ride also. Just don't go extreme low or extreme high on the pressure.

From what I have been told, the can am is more expensive to have repaired than the polaris. If the need arises.

#24 ·
well I went from Polaris to Can Am mainly because of all the hype about them and I wanted to give them a try. Big mistake and Monday I'm picking up a new Polaris and I will be sticking with them. By far the best quad for the money and more durable than most. I'm not going into details because I don't believe in brand bashing because they all can have problems but the Can Am bordered on ridiculous!

#25 ·
I'd just be hapier man if I've never tried CanAm. Kept it just for a year and a half and came to Polaris. And I'll stick with it. I know a lot about mechanics, I was car mechanic myself many years ago and comparing CanAm with Polaris and reading the history of development on both brands, then studying closely mechanical structure on both brands, I can say that Polaris is 6-7 years ahead of CanAm and it looks like CanAm is, and always was, working hard to catch up with Polaris. Just an example: just from year 2012 CanAm Outlander 1000 and 800 1up, on new chassis, have brakes as efective as Polaris. Other models continue on older chassis with ridiculous and dangerous brakes system.

#26 ·
When I decided to buy a 4 wheeler i rode a friend of mines Can Am. It was summer, I was in shorts and the engine was way too hot for my legs. Polaris sollved this with the 850. I know a guy that lived at a ride park for over 12 years. There were over 600 camp sites there plus daily riders. Snow, heat what ever, he and his family was there every weekend. He and I talked many times about quads. He tried to stay objective but the polaris always won. He knew how long ball joints would last on each brand machine based on lots of machines. He taught auto mechanics for a living. When I went to buy I didn't even look at anything but polaris. I bought mine at a small place in Altoona pa. Great dealer and super customer service. I still get 10% off everything i buy just cause I bought my machine there. My Polaris dealer does this for me. I wonder what other brand dealers do for their customers.

#27 ·
Can-am named the new 1000 the "G2".. If this is the machine you're talking about.. I can't say any more than what I saw on the test ride that dirttrax t.v did.. But what I can say is holy crap.. That things got 82hp!.. I'd get the XP for 2 reasons.. One the pro's still echo what most of us say here.. The 850XP, is the most complete big bore quad in the business.. Enough power to run with any machine - ergonomics that have no equal due to the way the engine is mounted, the nicest looking machine on the trails and quality built thoughout..
Two.. As much fun as that Can-am might be with 82hp.. Its a brand new machine from the ground up.. I'd wait a season or two for can-am to work out the bugs.. There will for sure be some.. I have a 2010 850 Touring, which was the 1st year for this machine.. Polaris made a bunch of little changes from 2010 to 2011 then from 2011 to 2012.. Can-am will no doubt do the same with the 1000..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.