overheating - Polaris ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

overheating

I have 2005 700 sportsman that over heats the fan isn't cycling all the time, switched out everything that operates fan even ecm,fan will come on sometimes but when it starts to get hot goes off and on then off . any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

WELCOME!!

Your gonna need to get dirty on this one...

First I would make sure the power and fan motor is working as it should. Pull the wires to the fan and check proper operation with dedicated 12V wires. If it doesn't work every time its bad and needs to be changed.

Look close at the radiator. Many guys spray them down but do not really clean them properly. Soak it good with a good cleaner, I like diluted Simple Green and spray form the inside out! The opposite to the direction it went in the radiator. You see debris can become lodged inside where it's not visible to the casual glance and that can really take a toll on temp troubles.

If both of these things check out, the temp sender may be a culprit. The fact that you mentioned it sometimes working and some not, lead me to suggest the wiring and rad first.

Good luck,
CW

Mine

2015 RZR 900 Trail BLK. Pearl

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride 1/2 windshield
Lock N Ride rear box
Rear Bars, Dash Bar & Rear extension bars.
LED lights front, top & rear
LOTS more coming...

2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI SOLD

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

swapped out fan, sensor, removed radiator cleaned, thermostat, pulled waterpump to check impellar, I was hoping someone would say there is part of harness that rubs somewhere to save me the time. going to check grounds next i quess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Common problem in the pre 09's, due to the location/angle that the rad was mounted they become incredibly fouled very easily. You may not have even been running in what many of us consider muddy conditions and they become clogged. I took all guards off of my rad, pressure washed from both sides, then used an air hose. This is exactly what the dealer did and showed me first time it happened to me. Only prob is that when they get clogged they can run the fan so hard it burns out, that being said it doesn't take much to get them stuck either, small sticks up in the casing have caused mine to stick. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 AM

They told me at the shop it needed main control module, 2007 polaris x2 500 after a week of having it. they would need 5 more days to get part for 200.00 from canada and not sure that it would be ready, since the panel read out was blinking when i turned key on + sometimes read engine HOT they said they would be able to start it at least to check out more.( had a part number if i wanted it.) been riding in more dust than normal but only have 1000 miles on machine. can anyone help
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 AM

Try running the 4 wheeler with a automotive type cooling system pressure gage to see if the cooling system builds up more then 13 psi of pressure, If it builds up more then 13 psi it could be the head gasket. If it stops at 13 psi and drops when the fan turn on it could be the cooling system filler nick. Looking into the cooling system filler nick, Look at the sealing area in the filler nick were the pressure cap seats, It should be round if it is oval shaped, Replace it.

Mine
2003 Silver/Black Polaris Sportsman 600 Kolpin aux 4 gal fuel can w/custom built mount, Dual Kolpin aux 1.5 gal fuel cans, EPI clutch kit, Front & Rear Polaris cargo boxes, Front & Rear Polaris bumpers, Garmin GPS, Heated hand grips, Kolpin hand guards w/mirrors, 3 headlight mod, Polaris Glacier plow 2500# and a Warn winch w/winch saver.

Hers
2004 Green Polaris Sportsman 600 Kolpin aux 4 gal fuel can w/custom built mount, Moose clutch kit, Front & Rear Polaris cargo boxes, Front & Rear Polaris bumpers, Garmin GPS, Kolpin hand guards w/mirrors, 3 headlight mod, Polaris windshield, Polaris Glacier plow and a 2500# Viper Max winch w/winch saver.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Is there a thermostat like in a car??? Check that one!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Yes check the temp sensor. Se attatched file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp sensor.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	6276  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > Polaris ATV Specs > 2007

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode