CV Shaft issues on my 2010 Sportsman - Polaris ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

CV Shaft issues on my 2010 Sportsman

Hey guys,

I have been racking my brain on this one for a while and can't seem to find a good explanation.

I have a '10 Sportsman 500, stock only and my 2nd CV shaft on the right rear is on its way out. I had the first one fail about a year and half ago. The bike is mainly used for snow plowing and some mild trail riding. I am pretty easy on it for the most part other than some hard plowing in the winter.

I replaced the first CV shaft with an OEM replacement. I tore into the bad one a found the outer housing of the inner cv joint worn and heat checked. It was def bad. Now the replacement is making the same grinding sound as this one. The boots are still good.

I can't seem to figure out why I have gone through 2 shafts in 3 years. Rear tranny/dif fluid was replaced in 2011. Nothing appeared to be damaged or bent on the right rear chassis/suspension when changing out the first one and I haven't ridden it much. Just bad parts? Or do I have other issues? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Call the cv man 800-338-2326 they have better axles for alot less money, like $120 for complete HD axle, had good luck with them for several years.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > Polaris ATV Specs > 2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode