Polaris ATV Forum banner

Dealer Mark Up

17K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  FUSE 
#1 ·
Stopped in at the local dealer this evening. For all the quads they had, they add about $950 ("Dealer Markup - Freight") and another $600-700 for "Dealer Markup - setup".
They had a 2013 Sportsman 400 with $4997.00 on the tag, but by the time you add all these fees, the price is ridiculous (IMHO).
Does anyone actually pay these fees, or do you start negotiating at MSRP?
This dealer is in Southern California, and they have a load of side by sides, but not as many utility quads.
Just wondering, thinking about a new one, but kind of turned off by this dealer.

#3 ·
shop around. Everything is negotiable. Example...local place wanted 10999 plus freight and tax and title for a 2014 850XP LE (there is a 1000 rebate now...so they were nice enough to quote me the full MSRP of 11999 minus the 1k rebate..)...I called a few more dealers within a couple hours and I got a price for 9876 plus tax and title for OTD of 10376...saved another grand by making a few calls...

#4 ·
What are you going to do with a 400 anyway. For your son?
But seriously, all those fees they will remove. All you have to do is ask. Tax is the only added fee you should ever pay in addition to the price tag, and even that, they usually come down some.

#5 ·
I just bought a 2014 400HO and it was $4599 plus tax and registration. $5024 out the door.

#6 ·
As others have stated..... SHOP AROUND! Then after finding a lower price, either buy it or ask the local dealer if they can match or beat it! Usually 9/10 times they'll match it and toss in a free hat, shirt or something. They know when they've been naughty. But they bank on the guy that just walks in and buys, thinking he's getting the best price.

#8 ·
THIS

In the process of shopping around for a 570 for my father since they have supposedly fixed the cold weather starting issue. Lowest price I was quoted $5950 OTD (matt you know which dealer this is) until today when the dealership I bought my 500 from called me and said they could do $5800 to beat everybody else. SHOP AROUND

These 570s are hot cakes around here so they demand a premium price. I know they are cheaper in other states.

#7 ·
When I was shopping for my bike, I'd see a fair price at a dealer on a new one on the internet. I'd call and they told me that they add $500 all of their internet advertised prices. Not dealer fees, just a blatant additional overcharge. It was a bit insulting and made no sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.