Polaris ATV Forum banner

How many carry handguns when riding???

77K views 297 replies 175 participants last post by  bobx2 
#1 ·
I was just sitting here wondering what percentage of the riders I see in the woods are carrying. I do legally carry a concealed .38 Special when riding. I have done so for years and none of my companions knew until recently. I started carrying when my wife began riding more frequently, but I have never even come close to needing it. So what do you think...what percentage carry? I'll guess 50 percent. :bud:

#234 ·
I feel naked leaving the house without my Glock 30. While I always carry it chambered and ready to go, when I'm riding I always take the round out the chamber before putting it in my saddle bag.

#235 ·
Dan Wesson 357 in belt holster.

#236 ·
I carry my Springfield XDM .45. I'm using the SERPA Blackhawk level 3 holster. I've got a quick connect mounted on the side of the gas tank on the Hawkeye, but won't be moving that to the next machine. I'll just use the tactical drop leg holster going forward. Tired of bashing my knee.

#238 ·
I always carry its just a small 380 that looks like a wallet in my pocket but it will get the job done just this past summer a kid was beat and left for dead at a lake near my house they took the quad and not sure if they were ever caught to many nuts in todays world not to protect yourself

#240 ·
I agree, your .380 will get the job done on human prey at close range, but for an atv carry gun I feel you might want to add a little more firepower. Shoot a bear with a gun like that and he will smile at you. I prefer a .357 mag minimum when riding in country that has animals that might eat you. Now if you ride up and down the streets or at an atv park....just keep the .380. I like that caliber for concealed carry, I just want more for the outdoors

#243 ·
Not riding, but any other time I'm carrying a Springfield XDS 45.

#245 ·
Lets see....gun vs machete Ill take the gun

#248 · (Edited)
I carry, because where I live the locals hunt seals illegally. I work for a government agency so if I run up on anyone then I know they are carrying and I don't want the worrying of bring a knife to a gun fight. My daughter was nervous when she first saw it on my hip, but I explained there are a lot of crazy/stupid people in this world and its the best way to keep her and mommy safe while we're out riding. Sig .40 P250

#250 · (Edited)
For those that do carry, I assume your not mudding when you carry...?
What are the preferred methods of concealing?

#251 ·
For those that do carry, I assume your not muddying when you carry...?
What are the preferred methods of concealing?
I'm not a mudder, I rider for utility or trail. I pocket carry a with a remora pocket holster. If I'm carrying a full sized gun iwb I leave it there if trail riding and if I'm doing utility work I put it with my wallet and keys in the storage.

#253 ·
I carry a Glock 27. It is pretty much weather proof and can shoot underwater so mudding is not an issue.I can't imagine ever needing it. Just about everyone I run across on trails out riding in the woods are good people. I'd hate to run in to some pot farmers field by accident though.

#254 ·
I have my CCW permit (FL) and carry 95% of the time. When riding, it depends on where I'm riding, how many people I'm riding with and how well I know them. If I'm alone and with me being a female, you can be assured that I'm packing either my Beretta or my Ruger if not both. Just be careful and use a waterproof case... :)
If there are little ones on the ride, I will not carry...

#257 ·
Some intelligent thought needs to be used. Don't get involved in a gunfight with only a knife unless you have zero options. Avoid a fight if you can. Make em pay dearly if you are unable to avoid it... with whatever tools are available. I usually have a machete, hatchet, double bitted axe, shovel, and a pistol available. The Wolves recognize someone who is not an easy target.

Kids along... Why wouldn't you protect them and yourself?
Teach them gun safety young, and almost as important, that guns aren't scary but they are adult tools to only be used by the kids with mommy and or daddy's supervision.

From orbit on my Android.

#258 ·
I generally carry both primary and BUG, as long as I'm dressed-don't see why that would change while riding. The primary might change as I spend more time in the woods on trails, though. My primary woods gun has generally been a Glock 29, which replaced a pristine Colt Delta Elite to preserve it's beauty, while my normal everyday carry is a Kimber UCDP in .45 ACP. BUG is always a KT-P32.

#264 ·
I carry my G20 when out riding and/or camping. A little big for conceal/carry, so for that I have my G43X and M&P Shield.

Reactions: Grish76
#262 ·
I have carried since I got out of the army in 1976 - only became legal to carry in IL in 2014 and I was one of the first to be issued a license. All the local police know I carry and of course it's part of my record - they know I'm licensed to carry as soon as they run the license number on one of my vehicles.

Carrying a firearm is like having a fire extinguisher. You have it and hope you never need to use it, but if it is needed you are glad to have it available.

When concealed carry became legal in IL, I was against it - I prefer open carry. Anyway, my bank posted a sign; (red circle around a silhouette of a handgun with a slash across the circle) indicating "NO CONCEALED FIREARMS ALLOWED" On my business (I have an unfranchised motorcycle and ATV repair shop) I posted a sign; (green circle around a silhouette of a hand gun) and the caption "OPEN CARRY OF FIREARMS ON THIS PROPERTY IS ALLOWED AND ENCOURAGED". A few years ago I added sales of ammunition to my business. Since our local Walmart closed last year, I am the only place in our community where ammunition can be purchased without driving at least 20 miles one way.

Back to the story: I asked one of the bank's officers one day why they did not allow trained and licensed citizens to carry firearms into the bank. The bank officer responded that they didn't want people to carry guns into the bank. I asked why not? The official said because it was an invitation to be robbed. I responded, "Do you think a person who paid $150 for training, $75 for finger printing and $150 for the permit is going to rob the bank when they know they can be found? Don't you think it is more of a possibility that a person with criminal intent who doesn't give a shit about the no concealed sign will try to rob the bank? Would you rather have 5 people trained and licensed to carry firearms be in bank conducting routine business or one person with criminal intent entering with a gun in hand?" He just stood there with the deer in the headlights look. I continued on, "If this intended robber pointed the gun at a teller and demanded all the money, what do you thing he or she would do when they realized there were 5 guns trained at (gender neutral) him? He has choices; he could put the gun down and surrender - he could run (nobody is going to shoot if he runs - let the police chase him) or he could panic and shoot in which case he will be in a world of hurt. Not every armed person would return fire. The legally carrying individuals would have checked beyond the target to assure no innocent target might be accidentally hit. I then asked the official, "Don't you have a branch in the local grocery store that is owned by a firearm proponent? Do you think you could get the owner of that store to put no concealed carry signs on his doors? And doesn't the bank have a branch in the Walmart store in the neighboring town? That Walmart allows concealed carry so what difference does it make if I carry into the main bank or a branch?" About a month later that bank officer called me to tell me they were taking down the signs. He, the other officers and the corporate board agreed if it was OK to carry into a branch location where they had no control of the situation, it should be OK in the main facility also. I don't know about other banks, but concealed carry is allowed inside MY bank and that's all that matters to me.

Yes - I carry while riding, but it stays in the tow vehicle when I'm participating in a race.

#265 ·
Not a big fan of open carry, but I don't care if others do. I prefer to not have to worry about the no firearms allowed signs, or make a target of myself. Schools and government buildings are the only places where firearms are not permitted. (here anyway) Everywhere else, if properly concealed, nobody knows I'm carrying. The signs carry no legal weight. However, if someone in a business with a no guns sign should see you are carrying, they can ask you to leave. Failure to do so can result in trespassing charges being brought against you.

#263 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.