Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts - Polaris ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic Section. Anything and Everything!

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts

Greetings all,

Been doing some research and collecting parts for the last 6 months off and on to build an off road trailer to pull behind my Sportsman around the farm/yard as well as to give me something to build this winter in the garage. I am going to explain what all I have and then ask for input on a few things now that I am into the mockup/brainstorming stage in the build.

I bought this little trailer from the local TSC to get me by in the meantime. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...kId=2487993406

I travel quite a bit for work and with my busy travel schedule its taken a while to get enough time at home to start this project.

I picked up a set of 2wd Scrambler 500 spindles/strut mounts and bearing hubs for less than 80 bucks on fleabay so that I can use my stock sportsman wheels and some junk tires for the trailer. I had intentions to modify the trailer I bought to fit 25" tire but abandoned that idea because my kiddos want to tow it behind their rzr and I use it behind the mower as well. Lifting it to fit the 25" tires I have would render it useless behind both of those vehicles.

After a little measuring I realized that 1 5/8" hrew tubing would fit into the scrambler spindle in place of the strut cartridge and still be able to use the pinch bolts that secure the strut into the 'knuckle'. This trailer will be solid suspension like most of the non walking beam trailers which will be fine for my use around the farm/yard.

I needed a way to be able to connect the spindles to a steel frame for the trailer and the steel 1 5/8" tubing will give me means to do so. I mocked up a set of front wheels on the spindles this evening and stuck a couple pieces of tubing in them to get an idea how tall the deck of the trailer would be. Here are a couple of pics during the mock up stage so I could start to visualize the trailer frame/hitch height and start to get an idea of the size.

Mockup from the rear:
Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-1105181755.jpg

1 5/8 tube in the strut housing
Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-1105181755a.jpg

Guestimating trailer axle centerline.
Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-1105181807a.jpg

More to come:

-j-rod

'11 Sportsman 800
- 26" QBT 672s on 12x7 and 12x8 Vision 158s
- QSC clutch kit from RVS Performance, OMC Gaskets, Rhino Axles F&R
- ODI Grips, Polaris Handguards, Kolpin Fenders, EPI HD rear springs
- Polaris bumpers/Rack extenders and HD front Springs, Badlands 3500 winch w/syn line

'18 Rzr 170 - kids ride

'01 Scrambler 500 4x4 (sold)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
So, after having the little TSC trailer for a while I realized the hitch could use some work so far as mobility off-road. I've had this link saved for quite a while for a cheapish 3 axis trailer coupler. https://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-65.html

Parts List
Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-tsccouplerpartslist.jpg

Pic
Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-tsccoupler12-2.jpg

Obviously it doesnt need to be built to that extreme but for the $ its not a bad way to go if you have the capability to cut, grind, drill, and weld metal. I swung by TSC today and grabbed a bunch of parts to have on hand during the build.

Pics of the parts:

Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-1105181800a_hdr.jpg

I have a slightly different idea for the X and Y pivot using a small ujoint off of a piece of farm equipment or a steering shaft out of a truck... stay tuned for that development.

-j-rod

'11 Sportsman 800
- Polaris bumpers/Rack extenders and HD front Springs, Badlands 3500 winch w/syn line

'18 Rzr 170 - kids ride

post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Finally to the questions.

Ok, now that I am thinking about this project in real space I have a few questions for you guys:

1. - How far back from the hitch should the centerline of the axle be? I'm inclined to make it be about the same as the wheelbase of my sportsman so the hitch will more or less be the center pivot between my front wheels and trailer axle.

2. - Does the centerline of the trailer axle need to be @ 2/3 the way back on the trailer frame like on a regular car/utility trailer?

3. - For those of you that have off road trailers, what approximate size tub/deck do you have? Im leaning towards a tub style trailer, just because I can pick up a feed trough or snowmachine trailer tub and have an easy way to get the top done. I am completely willing to fabricate a deck and do expanded steel or wood for decking as well. More just asking to find out what you guys find the most useful.

4. - What are you guys thoughts on keeping the spindles from spinning on the tube? I've thought about drilling through the tube/spindle and through bolting with a 5/16" or 3/8" bolt.

Thanks for any and all info.

-j-rod

'11 Sportsman 800

'18 Rzr 170 - kids ride

Last edited by jhama78; 11-06-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
After consulting with another bud of mine thats heavily into fab/metalwork I have tentatively decided the following:

Distance from hitch pin hole to axle CL 51" (matches WB of my sportsman 800)

Total length of trailer @ 84" from end to end (Places axle CL @ 2/3 way back from hitch)

Trailer deck @ 60" long by 36-42" wide (leaves @ 21" between rear of atv and front of trailer)

Will post up more pics and details if I get into the garage this evening.

-j-rod

'11 Sportsman 800

'18 Rzr 170 - kids ride

post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Got out in the garage last night and did some grinding and fitup on the hitch. Ordered metal a few minutes ago and should have time to weld the hitch up this evening. Will post pics later this week.

-j-rod

'11 Sportsman 800

'18 Rzr 170 - kids ride

post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
FINALLY getting back to working on this thing, the steel order got split last week during shipping so it didnt show up until monday this week. Work and family stuff after work has been crazy as well. Gotten a tiny bit done in the last few days... Strut tubing was cut to the correct angle for the tires to be vertical (scrambler spindles have a 15 degree angle) and I also got the cross member cut that will tie the two strut tubes together.

Got home from work a little while ago and quickly mocked up the struts and crossmember and its TALL (28" to the top of the 2x2 square tube). thinking about cutting down the strut tubes 3" to lower the overall deck of the trailer to just above the tops of the tires since its solid suspension and the tires don't move. Thoughts?

Anyway, I'm off for the next 4 days with no plans except to eat some turkey tmx so I hope to get some welding done and at least get the chassis in rolling form and the hitch together but not necessarily completely finish welded.

Here are a few pics of the quick initial mockup, keep in mind there will be numerous gussets and braces welded on to strengthen the entire assembly.

Rough height of crossmember is 28" - eyelevel
Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-1121181644-edited.jpg

3/4 view
Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-1121181644a-edited.jpg

One more view
Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-1121181644b-edited.jpg

-j-rod

'11 Sportsman 800

'18 Rzr 170 - kids ride

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I would defiantly cut the upright tubes down, no reason for the deck to be higher than the tires is there? My trailer is a little harbor freight one, and with the help of adapters, I run an old set of front wheels/tires inside out. The valve stem is now inboard but that's not a big deal, and the stance is almost the same as my 400. Works well, however backing is... interesting.

Protect the 2nd Amendment; it's the original homeland security act!
Bio fuel is the future; bring it home to the American farmer.
2005 Polaris 400 4x4
frt/rear rack extenders
Warn winch
front/rear bumpers
temp gauge
reverse light mod
heel clicker kit
lock-n-ride windshield
lock-n-ride gun scabbard
lock-n-ride rear hard box + side bags full of whatever I might never need, plus

Occasionally chased by a small trailer with more camping gear... good grief

2002 Trailboss 325
Front storage box
Rear storage bag...

I'm ready for a

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Got a little more work done to this thing over the holiday after a couple of meals and lots of relaxing. Would have gotten it into roller status this evening but I got about halfway through putting the hitch together last night and ran out of wire in the welder. The wifey picked me up a new spool of wire this morning while she was out getting groceries so I worked on it for a few hours this afternoon. Here's the progress:

Strut tubes cut down to lower the crossmember height.

Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-xmember-height.jpg

xmember is about 1/2-3/4" above the tire

Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-xmember-tire.jpg

Got the 3 axis hitch finished finish welded, still need to do a little more shaping for the up and down axis clearance.

Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-3-axis-hitch.jpg

Setting the approximate wheelbase - Axle centerline is @ 51" from the hitch center

Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-setting-wheelbase.jpg

Side shot showing the height difference between the hitch and trailer xmember ~7" which will be made up when I build the tongue.

Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-1125181713b.jpg

Thanks to all for following along.

-j-rod

'11 Sportsman 800

'18 Rzr 170 - kids ride

post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Hung out with the kiddos and nephew today while mama was shopping, got an hour to work on this thing tonight before it was beer:30. I finish welded the tongue to the crossmember and am now deciding how to make up the vertical distance between the tongue and hitch. Here's the only pic I snapped while I was mocking up the hitch/tongue connection. Feel free to comment.

Off-road Trailer Build Using Polaris parts-1201182025a.jpg

-j-rod

'11 Sportsman 800

'18 Rzr 170 - kids ride

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

I think you are on the right track with the Z in the hitch tube. I would plate the sides for the added strength. When I was a kid my dad had a trailer where the hitch tube was lower than the hitch on the truck so he had a Z added to the tongue and the sides plated. We used the hell out of that trailer and never had an issue with the hitch.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in