Polaris ATV Forum banner

Rear Brake via Foot Pedal

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  polman500 
#1 ·
I found a frozen rear caliper. Replaced it, bled the brakes and got some air and a little fluid out of the pedal each pump up. Handlebar brakes bled perfect and work fine. The foot pedal does nothing toward stopping and is not stiff at all. What do I look at next? Master Cylinder or does it have its own reservoir?

#3 ·
Model and year????

#8 ·
I had the exact same problem with my 2005 Sportsman 500 - rear Master Cylinder was frozen replaced it 2 times and could not get it to build any pressure to bleed it .... only a dribbles of fluid - I then replaced the rear caliper and shoes with no change - I tried the old put a heavy weight on the pedal overnight trick and that didnt help . I finally gave up and just use the hand lever

#9 ·
That little tiny MC for the foot only pumps less than a thimble full of fluid per stroke. Once you've had it apart it can take quite a bit of pumping and bleeding to get the air out unless you prefill everything with fluid and/or use a suction device like a mightyvac or some will rig up a turkey baster and plastic hose to suck the fluid through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.