Sub-$100 plow turn actuator experiment - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Gear and Gadgets All gear and gadget discussions here!

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Sub-$100 plow turn actuator experiment

I bought a new 570 touring earlier this year mainly because I wanted a new quad as I'm getting a bit old for my 400ex. I also wanted something to leave at my mother's house so she could plow with it. She lives in an area that sees about 220" of snow a year.

I ordered a 60" Denali plow in the summer, the only thing I didn't like was her having to get off the quad to turn the plow, so I started googling all sorts of things. I just didn't want to pay $600ish for the motoalliance actuator. I saw a few people use a winch setup, but none of them had any comments on durability.

Cabelas has a complete motoalliance Midnight Viper winch for $79 shipped. This winch has a hole straight through the drum so you can have the rope pulling in either direction, you just run one side under the drum and the other side over. I cut a 20 foot section and ran it through the hole 50/50, then wrapped it around the drum.

I welded the winch plate to two 3/16x1 steel bars. I then welded that to the push tubes of the plow. I then hooked up the winch switch to the orange/yellow wire, the contactor and ran the blue/yellow wires down to the winch on the plow.

I went to Ace hardware and bought two turnbuckles, ferrules and clamps for the wire rope. Now... I had to plan this 240 miles away from mom's house so what I currently have needs improvements, mainly heavier turnbuckles and different power management going down to the winch.

The hardest part was taking 25 minutes getting the rope tight around the drum, I had my nephew help me with that part once it was assembled and hooked up to the skid feet.

Will it last all season? I dunno. The wire rope is going to be the weak link because of the angle against the fairlead. It's setup to take apart in a minute if the rope does break. All in I'm under $100, if it's a shit idea I still have a spare winch out of the deal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

I think its a fantastic idea/build. Thinking your right, cable will probably be the weak link rubbing on itself. Maybe see how long this last and you can always try synthetic rope next time, or coated steel cable.

Good job

2014 Sportsman 550 named "Chapter 7"
Lots of mods and add ons
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I told mom to keep an eye on the cable regularly and keep me posted. I stayed with the 3/16 cable as 1/4 would have been hell to wrap and deal with. I'll probably end up ordering a length of 1/4 or 3/8 synthetic line and a fairlead for it if we see it isn't holding up. I'm there enough where I'll be able to fix it before it breaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:43 PM

What if you turned your winch toward one plow foot and just ran off one side? Then on the other side put in a cable with a very heavy spring. That way you'd be pulling and releasing on just one side but the other side would balance the system with the spring providing the pull? Know what I mean? If not, I'll try to explain on a reply. Wish I knew how to draw diagrams on this damn computer.
Duane
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAttica4238 View Post
What if you turned your winch toward one plow foot and just ran off one side? Then on the other side put in a cable with a very heavy spring. That way you'd be pulling and releasing on just one side but the other side would balance the system with the spring providing the pull? Know what I mean? If not, I'll try to explain on a reply. Wish I knew how to draw diagrams on this damn computer.
Duane
I know exactly what you're talking about. Garage door spring on one side, winch cable going to the other. I thought about it, too much potential stored energy between a stretched spring and a tight winch cable.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:43 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Could you remove the fairlead, and mount a couple V pulleys instead?

Last edited by dmerc; 11-24-2018 at 07:02 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmerc View Post
Could you remove the fairlead, and mount a couple V pulleys instead?
I could and it wouldn't be hard to do.

I'm going to see how this holds up. If I get a season out of one cable then it's a win. I'd prefer going with a heavier synthetic line before welding anything else in place, if this cable breaks I'll go the synthetic rope direction first before adding anything. A new fairlead and synthetic rope isn't too much.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:31 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Instead of a spring, how about a gas strut or two? That's how my Meyer Home Plow "auto angles." Then you're only pulling one way and your cable will last a lot longer. Neat idea for sure, I'm thinking about doing it on my Home Plow now.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:37 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
I concur, a poly rope would be better. Since it will stretch a bit, you might be able to go without a spring then. Please keep us posted. We average 230" here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
I told mom to keep an eye on the cable regularly and keep me posted. I stayed with the 3/16 cable as 1/4 would have been hell to wrap and deal with. I'll probably end up ordering a length of 1/4 or 3/8 synthetic line and a fairlead for it if we see it isn't holding up. I'm there enough where I'll be able to fix it before it breaks.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlyA View Post
I concur, a poly rope would be better. Since it will stretch a bit, you might be able to go without a spring then. Please keep us posted. We average 230" here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
The spring idea got scratched about one minute after thinking about it. There's too much stored energy if something breaks. We don't want it to automatically angle since the driveway has extra sections... You know how the Neverending snow is, so we've always had to strategically place it somewhere to avoid running out room to put it.

What is there now works but I do know the setup is going to be rough on either a steel or synthetic cable. My only goal is a full season on a cable. If the steel cable holds up until April, which is unlikely, then I'd be pretty happy. If not I'll just go up to 1/4" synthetic and see how it goes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Gear and Gadgets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode