Thinkign about a New ATV - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

At first I was seriously considering a Can-Am. I own Seadoo watercraft and they are both made by BRP. I have had zero issues with my watercraft, great fit and finish and undeniable speed. I didn't even consider anything else at first and just started doing my research on Can-Am to see what model I wanted. Two things turned me off from them. First was the price, but that price buys you two fuel injected cylinders in the 500 and way more advanced technology and tunability. Those were not things I was sure I wanted in an ATV though, I already have those in my watercraft and that shit gets expensive when it breaks. The second thing that turned me away and on to Polaris is the four wheel drive system. From my reading Polaris and Suziki are the only two with real four wheel drive. I wasn't impressed with the visco-lok on Can-Am. I think it is great technology for a car, but I wanted control and to know when I was locked in 4wd. That left me to Polaris or Suzuki, and everything I read put me onto the Polaris ride quality and the reliability of the Sportman model and 500 engine.

Dealer service was not an issue for me, I prefer to do my own wrenching. The few times I have had dealer work done, I end up redoing what they did anyway.

Do your homework and take your time. Make an informed decision for yourself, no one else is riding it.

Last edited by antoniodef; 01-30-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 PM

Well I own a honda and a polaris. I can say the honda will beat you up after a long day of riding. It dont bother me as I am still a young guy, but my dad hate's it when we go riding. But he dont like my polaris either. Mainly because I have super swamper vampire's on both of them at all four corners. As far as either one of them being junk, it's all in how you take care of it. My honda has never left me stranded anywhere, and I beat the crap out of that thing. But my polaris has never left me anywhere either. I have had one u-joint break on my honda which is a 05 foreman, and my clutch burnt out on my polaris which is a 99 sportsman 335. Both of these failure's where my fault, not the manufacture. Like I said I beat the crap out these atv's. So as far as either one of them being junk, I would say make sure you keep up with the maintance, and you will be fine no matter what you pick. I can say I wish I would have bought my honda from another dealership. Bought the polaris off craigslist used, honda brand new. The dealership I bought mine from is a joke. I looked at a sportsman 850 they had this friday when I went to get oil for the polaris, and even though they was going to give me a sweet deal on it, I had to turn away just because of what they have did in the past. So I would have to say first find you a good honest dealer, then pick out whatever you want. Of coarse someone is going to have something negative to say about sooner or later, but I can promise you that whatever the greatest atv in the world is that they ride has broke down on them at one point in time. I ride with a group of guy's and we have a grizzley 700 kingquad 750 vinsion 500 outlander 800 renegade 800 kittycat 650 mudpro 700 bruteforce 750 rubican and foreman 500s sportsman 335 600 n 700. They ALL have there up's and down's in design, quality, etc, etc, it boil's down to what you like. You are going to being paying $7-10000 or more depending on what you get, not your friend's, so get what you want. My two cent's, as far as fun factor the renegade 800 or brute force 650 with a solid axle. As far as using it to play in the mud like we do, renegade 800 or a sportsman. Ride quality sportsman. Either way good luck, and let us know what you get.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

My 2 cents worth. The 4WD visco lock system on CannedHams doesn't work as well as the locker on Polaris machines. I can go places on my IRS machine that leaves the solid rear axle machines fighting for control - especially on rutted out hills. I don't mind waiting for them at the top of the hill though

2010 Polaris 550 XP EPS
Polaris Lock n' Ride Front Cargo Box
Polaris Steel Rear Rack Extender
JamStraight Model 3157R LED Tail Lamps

Last edited by bukaty; 02-01-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to brad5401
I think blueline hit the nail on the head. I had owned nothing but Honda machines since 1984 when I bought my first Polaris in 2006. My dad still works and lives on a farm and just traded his 1999 Honda Foreman 450 4X4 for a 2011 Honda Foreman 500 4X4 with power steering. I rode his machine a few days ago for the first time and literally felt sorry for him having spent close to $7,500 for an ATV that felt so much smaller and less sophisticated than my 550 XP. In reality, my 5-year-old 500 X2 is superior technologically to my father's new Foreman. However, I am unable to convince my dad to make the switch to Polaris for his farm machine because my brother-in-law bought a Polaris 6X6 about 15 years ago to use on his dairy and had a lot of problems keeping it going. In all fairness, his Polaris was from the generation of 2-stroke, chain driven machines, and it spent every day of its life burried up over its axles in manure (dairy cow manure will eat through anything) and never received any of its regular maintenance. The point is, it's always difficult to overcome a past bad experience or the bad experiences of those whose opinions you trust. If you choose more advanced features and technology, it is reasonable to expect to have to be more diligent about regular maintenance.

Brad

2010 Sportsman XP 550 EFI w/XP EPS rims
2008 Sportsman Touring 800 EFI
2006 Sportsman X2 500 H.O. w/Crusher rims/PXT tires

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...tvtrailriders/
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

i've owned everything but suzukis and like everyone said before... they all have ups and downs. I have my first polaris and its what i will always have from now on. if you were buying a sport quad i would steer you different but for a utility that will work for you and still be a blast to ride, go with polaris, esp. the 500. there is a reason the sportsman has been the best selling 4x4 atv for as many years as it has. like blueline said, a little more maintenance, but its worth it for the tech you get esp. the 4x4 and irs. i actually like the belt. something is going to give out on that belt before the entire tranny of clutches go out. ill replace a belt any day over either of those. you can also buy kits to adjust the clutches which i like. never slipped for me as long as its sealed. if you're gonna pay all that money, get something for it.

2006 Sportsman 500 efi, Polaris 3500 Winch, uni Filter, Oary Grips,Maxxis Bighorns, 2" lift, Brush Guard, Bark Busters

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode