Check Engine Light on but cannot access DIAGCODE - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By polman500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Check Engine Light on but cannot access DIAGCODE

Hello,
I am new to owning a four wheeler and new to these boards. I have a 2017 Polaris Sportsman 850 SP. It has about 16 engine hours on it. Recently the check engine light came on and I tried to follow the manual to access the diagnostic codes, however, it does not appear as an option. Maybe I am doing something wrong or don't understand the manual somehow. I have turned the key to the on position. The check engine light stays on. I then go into options and scroll to look for DIAGCODE. However, it does not appear, so I cannot read the code to know what I am dealing with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 02:29 PM

You need to read the manual again.
bp405 likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Right. Well. That was helpful. I read the manual. If I'm not understanding maybe you could post a clarifying response instead of just being snotty for no reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Hold the mold button until the first option pops up and then hit the down button 1 time and it should show diagcode option and hit the mode button again to select it. Your owners manual will have a list of codes to look at after if find out what they are. Are you having any trouble out of the Sportsman when the check engine light is on?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Steve. Thanks for the reply. I don't notice any difference in how it's running now that the check engine light came on. If not for the light I wouldn't know there was a problem. I am unfortunately away from the machine right now but can get back to it tomorrow. So are you saying what I was doing wrong was going into the options menu, as in the normal settings, but if I hold the mode button longer it will go into another menu where I can access diagcode? I did see the codes listed in the manual and that's what I was trying to find so I could reference it and at least get an idea of what is going on.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Yes if you hold the button longer it will take you into another set of options, as long as the check engine light is on you will be able to get into the diagnostic's. But if for some reason the light ain't on you will not be able to check it. Other option you have when you get into the second set of options is to set the date and time, switch between mph/kph. Back light color and brightness and I think one or two more.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Ah. That's the set of options I have been in. But the diagnostic codes option doesn't show. The check engine light stays on. It doesn't go away. But that DIAGCODE option is not available. But I am in the menu with mph/kph, backlight color, time, and all that. Really don't know why the DIAGCODE is not showing.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Hmm, I don't know then. There was a guy on here who had a Sportsman 850 Touring model that had a intermittent check light, it stayed on all the time and there was noting wrong with it for the check engine light to be on. boulderskies is what he goes by on here, you could message him to see what he done about it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I sent him a PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:38 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
How did you make out Styker818?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode