Check Engine Light On, No Code's! - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Check Engine Light On, No Code's!

The other day while riding my 17 850 SP the check engine light came on. I did not lose any performance and all seemed ok but it never went off, I checked several times for codes and it only showed 1 code one time. Unfortunately I was in the middle of the mountains and had nothing to write it on, since then every time I go to start it the check engine light is always on but I cannot get it to show any codes. Any idea's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 07:09 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Wow, that must have freaked you out! I would have been riding back to the dealer ASAP, I donít have a shop manual, so I would have been freaked out for sure. If you donít have warranty Iíd get a shop manual, buy one from the dealer if need be, then is get a code reader off amazon or bum one from someone. Then go from there. Yikes! I hope you are carrying gear for long camp outs, good boots to hike back to the truck, or a good cell service to get help.

Thanks for sharing. Gives me more to think about for our cross mountain trip we want to do this spring/summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Next time take a pix of code with your cell phone.....

JUNE 2017 & SEPTEMBER 2018 POLARIS FORUM ATV OF THE MONTH WINNER

2019 Sportsman 850 SP Premium

Removed all Warning Decals
3500# Polaris Winch W/Synthetic Rope
Winch Stopper Cable Line Saver
ATV-GURU.COM Front and Rear Bumpers
2" Receiver in Front Bumper
Kenda K587 HTR Bear Claws 26X9X14 & 26X11X14
Ultimate Series Windshield Fairing, Mid & Low Height Windshield
New Style Polaris Lock & Ride Rear Storage Box
Garmin GPS176
Polaris Rear View Mirrors
4" Front Rack Extender
Center Brake/Tail Light LED
Rear LED work lights/strobes

Built on March 27 2019
Purchased New April 13 2019 0.1 Hr .2 Mi
Power Sports Abrams, Wi

SOLD
2006 Sportsman 800 EFI Twin
Purchased new to me on Aug 08 2016 97Hr's 811Mi
Sold Apr 07 2019 231 Hr 3126 Mi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=k6Nlb_qRoeg

"I am the majority!"

*WEAR A HELMET, I'M LIVING PROOF THEY WORK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
It did make me nervous but I was glad that it never started to act up, I ran it very hard all the way back home and it done fine so that's why I'm curious as to why the light is on. Cell phones work very few places where I live so I don't have one but maybe packing a camera would be a good idea. Anybody have any idea why the light would be on and it not show any codes?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE get a code reader off amazon or bum one from someone.

Maybe someone can correct me on this, but as far as I know you can not get a code reader for your ATV. The computer stuff has not been released yet so all the information is specific to each manufacturer for all our off road stuff. The only way to get Polaris information if from Polaris (if they would sell it to you) and is really expensive. Cars and light trucks were standardized back in the 80s but Motorcycles, OHV and snowmobiles aren't there yet. I really wish they would get to that point though.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427x Wheels. QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stave7119 View Post

Maybe someone can correct me on this, but as far as I know you can not get a code reader for your ATV. The computer stuff has not been released yet so all the information is specific to each manufacturer for all our off road stuff. The only way to get Polaris information if from Polaris (if they would sell it to you) and is really expensive. Cars and light trucks were standardized back in the 80s but Motorcycles, OHV and snowmobiles aren't there yet. I really wish they would get to that point though.
Yeah me too, I'd like to find out what's causing it so that I won't cause any damage by riding it. I really wish the code would come back on so I can see what it is.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 06:08 AM

I know your machine is pretty new so a I assume you'll be taking it the dealer to find the problem?
Make sure to let us know what the deal is with it.
What exactly were you doing at the time it came on?...climbing hard? was it trying to get hot? winching? running lights? etc.
Have you tried disconnecting battery to see if it'll reset? Or followed procedure to clear codes?
You got me curious.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
I know your machine is pretty new so a I assume you'll be taking it the dealer to find the problem?
Make sure to let us know what the deal is with it.
What exactly were you doing at the time it came on?...climbing hard? was it trying to get hot? winching? running lights? etc.
Have you tried disconnecting battery to see if it'll reset? Or followed procedure to clear codes?
You got me curious.
I was actually just setting wit it idling. I'm going to disconnect the battery to see if that does anything for it, I'm not sure I know the procedure to clear codes so if you wouldn't care to share that with me I'll try it too. If all that fails then it will be going to the dealer.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 12:05 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stave7119 View Post

Oh, wow, I didnít know that, thanks, I will make sure I have a power cord for my phone to take a picture of it. Hmm code readers for our machine will be the next hunt....I guess. I just donít want to end up stranded. I alway go out with the expectation I may need to stay the night. Or simply donít go to far up the mountain that I canít walk back to the truck or at least back into cell service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode