Lets talk snow plows for ATVs! - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Lets talk snow plows for ATVs!

So we a blizzard the other day. Sort of unusual to get any kind of measurable amount of snow before January where I live. But like the last pre-Christmas snow storm we got back in 2009, it was just as deep, wet and slushy. We might get one 6" snow storm per year. Last winter we didn't even get any measurably snowfall. Despite that dry arctic blast we got in January that didn't get above freezing for about three weeks.

That morning after I got off work there was 6" of snow on the road. It was a bit dodgy driving 8 miles home but I managed to get up my driveway which has an incline and is 1000 feet long. Being a Sunday morning, the road crews had not even salted or scraped the roads! If this had been a Monday morning, I bet they would have got crackin' on it.

After I woke up we had 1 foot. So before leaving for work I decided to see if I could back my Subaru away from my garage because the snow was up to the bumpers. I accidentally ran off the driveway because the snow was so deep and my rear wheels was in the grass.

I bought this Subaru new back in 2003 and this is the first time I have ever got it stuck in the snow. I couldn't even shovel my way out of it.

I've even had this car out in the backyard doing doughnuts on dry frozen snow about the same depth and never got it stuck. The only thing I can think of was this particular snow was wet and slushy. I called Dad to see if he could pull me out with his truck. Somehow I managed to break free (burning probably 2000 miles off my tires) only to get stuck again behind my house. AAARRGGHHH!!!!

So I took Dad's truck to work. Kind of wish I hadn't sold my Ford Explorer now.

Despite being 48, I still look forward to snow. I guess I can still a kid at heart but this was the first snow storm I can truly say was a pain in the keister.

I asked Dad if he would help me take loose the mowing machine on his tractor and install the grader blade so I could scrape my driveway (and his). He said, "If you want to son your welcome to it but I'm not trudging through all this snow, I'm retired and can sit here until it melts"! He's 75 so I can't much blame him. He suggested just using the mowing machine to knock the snow down.

Wednesday I was off so I drove my ATV down to my parent's house and got his tractor. A 1976 John Deere 830 Diesel. BOY, did this thing put up a fight starting. I figured it being a diesel it would struggle and sure enough it did. I ran the battery down cranking it over but I brought the battery charger with me on my ATV and a can of starting fluid. I finally got it going, it smoked like a coal powered train when I fired it up! I can't understand why people like diesels so much. They are a pain to get going in freezing weather.

So I proceeded to "Bush Hog" my driveway, knocking the snow down from 12" to about 2" or 3" packed. Now my Subaru has no problems driving on this stuff. Must have been where the bumpers were pushing the snow like a plow.

ATV content:

This was the first time I had driven my Xplorer 300 in this amount of snow. What fun! I tried it in 2 wheel drive just to see if I could sling more snow but it bogged down. It went through the snow but not like butter. I had to rev it at full throttle at times but it went and go up hills. That was the ONLY thing I can say that was fun about this blizzard. Getting to slide around in the snow on my ATV.

Which brings me to my next question.

Would an Xplorer 300 have the balls to push a snow plow? I found this snow plow on Craigslist.

https://tricities.craigslist.org/snw...773587659.html

I think it's overpriced because it doesn't seem to have any hydraulics involved with it. Looks like I'd have to manually lift the blade up. Says it can be lifted using a winch which I have but not mounted on my ATV yet. I've never used a snow plow before.

Where I work years ago someone once rigged up some 2X6s and some skids to a fork truck and made a makeshift snow plow. It didn't scrap off all the snow but knocked it out of the way to where you could walk on a path instead of having to trudge through it.

Looks to me like I could take some 1/2" or thicker plywood and layer it and mount it to the four mounting holes on the brush guard of my ATV (at an angle) then use some leftover metal siding I have for the scraper blade.

When it does get 1 foot deep, I'd probably have to make this thing where it's adjustable. Where I can mount it 6" off the ground and knock that out of the way ant then lower it another 6" (or make a removable piece) and make another pass. That might take longer than if I had a real hydraulic operated snow plow but what else would I have to do? That would just give me an excuse to get out of the house and play around on my ATV!

Anyone ever built a homemade snow plow for their ATV out of plywood and 2X4s?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181210_140313139_HDR-1612x1209.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	596.0 KB
ID:	114369  

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

James Seabolt
Kingsport, TN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 03:27 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

i know they make cheaper plows with a beam that runs under the atv frame and attaches to the rear hitch somehow, i donít know how well they would work . It would be a cheaper option.

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Your 300 is a 4x4 2 stroke right? That plow is a bit over priced for a used piece. I have a 60" plow on my 325 Magnum and it works fine. The biggest issue is having the machine weigh enough to push the plow. My son in law plows with his 2 stroke 250cc Trail Boss. Now he has all cement on the driveway, but last year was just grass. So I think you should be fine to plow with your machine if you can find the right plow. My biggest problem when I plow is heavy wet snow or big drifts. The plow is angled and the front wheels just slide sideways instead of pushing the snow off the driveway. Looks like that plow has all the parts you need, just not sure your machine is heavy enough to handle the size. Always worth a shot though!

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:50 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
I'd assume you'll normally be dealing with wet and heavy snow and note, his type of materiel is very difficult to move. The blade you show FS is a 72" which is a width better suited for a UTV. Your Xplorer 300 pushing heavy snow, you best have a more narrow blade.
sportsmandan likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stave7119 View Post
Your 300 is a 4x4 2 stroke right? That plow is a bit over priced for a used piece. I have a 60" plow on my 325 Magnum and it works fine. The biggest issue is having the machine weigh enough to push the plow. My son in law plows with his 2 stroke 250cc Trail Boss. Now he has all cement on the driveway, but last year was just grass. So I think you should be fine to plow with your machine if you can find the right plow. My biggest problem when I plow is heavy wet snow or big drifts. The plow is angled and the front wheels just slide sideways instead of pushing the snow off the driveway. Looks like that plow has all the parts you need, just not sure your machine is heavy enough to handle the size. Always worth a shot though!
Yes it's a 2 stroke 4X4 model.

I've been thinking about this home made snow plow.

Since I can weld and have access to scrap metal at work (and a scrap metal pile next to my garage). I'm thinking about just making one out of metal instead of wood. I've got some corrugated metal roofing material I could use as the blade. I just need to layer several sheets of it to make it rigid.

I was too cheap to pay $65 for a bumper (no more than what it is) for my Husqvarna riding mower which is a bent pipe of bend, flattened on the ends, I made one out of some angle iron I dug out of the scrap metal bin at work. It took me a couple of hours to cut and weld it up but was fun.

My idea was to make the scraper blade about 48" wide, one foot tall about 1" off the ground and offset it at a 30 degree angle. Not too big so it doesn't bog the machine down. Like I said, even if I have to make several passes, so what.

One challenge is figuring out where to mount this thing to the frame. I looked at the front end and can't find a suitable place to mount the bars. Such as where there might be bolts I could unscrew and overlap the bars. There are some vertical holes in the frame behind the grill. I'd have to notch out the fins in the grill and slide the bars through.

Got any close up shots of yours and your son in law's ATV with the plows mounted? To give me an idea.

The only other place I can think of is the piece that surrounds the grill. There are about six 1/4" holes for something. But I don't think that part of the bike is sturdy enough. I think the plow needs to be mounted to the frame.

There are front end (decorative) parts missing off my bike (like that plastic piece that had the Polaris logo on it) so I don't know what was supposed to mount to these holes unless it's the plastic piece. Right now I have a piece of plywood as a front rack and some cheap Blazer auxiliary lights with LED bulbs.

Someone did mount a brush guard on it. But it was not a real brush guard. It looked like one of those things you mount on a kid's bed to prevent them from rolling off the bed at night!

James Seabolt
Kingsport, TN
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:19 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Allow me to be a killjoy. If you can get a new low $$$ plow setup from 500 to $800. You'd be far better off with that. Roof tin won't cut it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlyA View Post
Allow me to be a killjoy. If you can get a new low $$$ plow setup from 500 to $800. You'd be far better off with that. Roof tin won't cut it.
Sorry, but I have to agree. While roof tin might work to direct the snow, that set up probably won't be heavy enough to stay on the driveway and be effective. And part of the operation of a plow is the curve of the blade. The plow on my 325 is a Moose Utilities. 60" wide so that when I angle it to one side the width still covers the width of the machine.

Other than the Polaris plows, most of them mount to the frame of the machine under the footwells called Mid-mount. In the link to the 72" plow there was a mount plate. Like my Moose plow, the plate is held to the bottom of the footwell supports off the frame by U-bolts. The plow push tube is held to that with 2 pins. I have a winch to raise and lower but a manual lift will work just fine.

If you want to decide to build a plow, post some photos! I don't have the ability to build one but I would love to see what you can come up with!
ArlyA likes this.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I've been doing some research about these ATV snow plows. It looks like there are several universal systems that mount to the frame I could buy.The main issue is should I invest in a good piece of equipment I may not use every year? On the other hand, I bet if I charged my neighbors in the adjacent subdivision $20 to scrape their driveways, it might pay for itself in one snowstorm.

Last winter I don't think we got any measurable amount of snow. Even during that blistering cold arctic blast we got in January of 2018 where it didn't get above freezing for a couple of years. Not a bit of snow on the ground. One year (2012 or 2013) it only got below freezing (at night) two days the entire winter. It stayed in the 60s during the daytime the entire winter.

I got to wondering if I could build a simple drag line type of plow. Where I could build a blade out of some 2X6s and attach chains at each end, one longer than the other so the "blade" is offset at an angle using eye-bolts and connect those to the back of my ATV and just drag the snow off the driveway. What would be the problem with that? I remember ages ago, Dad used his grader blade (the same one that has been sitting in the field for 25 years) to scrape the driveway and it seemed to do a good job. That was what I was going to use the other day but he was not in the mood to help me and I can't say I blame him.

Now here is a killer snow blade:

James Seabolt
Kingsport, TN
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:41 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

this completely depends on the amount of snow you like to move.
in the movie he scrapes off 1/2 inch
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 06:47 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
We live and breath snow here. Our plow operators would not ever mess with the marginal amount seen in the vid. I've not seen any rear mount blades used and I'd guess that the snow under your tires will reduce your low traction capacity that ATV's have even further.. Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode