Polaris ATV Forum banner

2012 sportsman 500 Ho no fire

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lateburd 
#1 ·
Got a new battery and ran fine for a few days. Lost my key so I had to start at starter solenoid next to battery with a screwdriver. Would that kill my cdi box? Atv will turn over now but not getting any spark. Recently installed new ignition switch but still nothing. Think it may just be a bad spark plug or I need a new CDI box? Any help tips or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Depending on how you jumped the solenoid, it would not affect the CDI unit

It could be a bad switch, a bad connection at the switch, or a bad spark plug

Check for 12v at the CDI unit on the red/wht wire (wiring harness side) or the red wire (CDI) side - the black wire is connected to the brown wire to kill the spark (brown is ground) - the black wire goes to the LH handle bar switch, the throttle safety switch and the speedometer - if the black wire shorts to ground, spark is lost - if you disconnect the black wire and get spark, the problem is in the throttle switch, key switch, handlebar switch or speedometer

If you disconnect the black wire and have 12v on the red wire and don't have spark, the problem is in the CDI unit, coil, pulse generator, spark plug cap, spark plug or engine path to ground

#3 ·
Have you checked all the fuses??

Or....Silly question..... But, in this process you didn't hit the emergency stop, did you?

#4 ·
Yes checked all fuses going to change spark plug tomorrow and see. Hoping that gets it. If not I have an older CDI box going to attempt to wire in which I’ve never done so not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.