Who here switched from dirtbikes to a quad? if so why? - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Who here switched from dirtbikes to a quad? if so why?

More of a for fun thread but curious if anyone here who used to dirtbike switched to a quad, and if so, why?

I ride both; sometimes I dont feel like stressing out my body and would just like a relaxed ride that does not require so much thinking and concentration. ALso sometimes its easier to view the scenery vs a dirtbike. But 80% of the time, I am on the bike since its a nice workout, but for psses and scenic rides, think I will be taking my quad to take in the views since on a bike you cant really do that.

One of my buddies I ride with every so often used to ride bikes, but ended up getting a stroke so a quad is suited for him now.

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/ridewithwill
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/ridewithwill/
feel free to sub and follow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:25 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I have both - the quad is fine wide open areas and ice racing (I'm not into mud), but I ride the bike the most - CRF250X; race hare scrambles, an occasional enduro and any day I don't have to work I will find a timber to ride in. The couch is for leisure and the bike is for exercise. Not a lot of wide open areas in Illinois in the summer - can ride the fields in the spring, fall and winter, but I don't even try to ride the quad in the woods. I've watched others do it, but they can't go where I go or get there as fast.

2006 Trailboss 330
2002 Sportsman 90
2005 TRX400EX (FOR SALE)
2003 LT-Z400 (needs engine work & is for sale)
2004 CRF250X
1971 Triumph 650 Bonneville (has 5 original miles)
1972 Triumph 650 Bonneville (undergoing restoration)
1979 Honda CBX (6 cylinder)
1970 Kawasaki G3SS 90cc Bushmaster
1976 Suzuki RE5 Rotary (not running & FOR SALE)
1981 Kawasaki KZ305-A
1981 Suzuki GS450T (undergoing repair & will be for sale when done)
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H (FOR SALE)
1989 Honda VT1100C
2007 Vectrix VCTX Electric Scooter
1965 Montgomery Ward 3 1/2 HP Tecumseh Mini Bike
1970 Triumph T25 250cc Trailblazer
1968 Triumph 250cc Flat Tracker

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
I have both - the quad is fine wide open areas and ice racing (I'm not into mud), but I ride the bike the most - CRF250X; race hare scrambles, an occasional enduro and any day I don't have to work I will find a timber to ride in. The couch is for leisure and the bike is for exercise. Not a lot of wide open areas in Illinois in the summer - can ride the fields in the spring, fall and winter, but I don't even try to ride the quad in the woods. I've watched others do it, but they can't go where I go or get there as fast.
crf250x nice! if I lived back in FL where the swamps were, I would not have bought a bike since all there is, is mud pits! which is fun ha ha!

but being in CO, plated dirtbike/dual sport def gets your farther. but exactly how I feel...I like the exercise aspect of the bike and also the challenge it provides but sadly ea stepping stone becomes easier and easier ha ha so speed is all that is left.

I am really into enduro riding. just long rides with technical stuff and seeing how long I can last heh. But the great part about here is also snow, so that is when the quad comes out, until I get a timbersled of course.

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/ridewithwill
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/ridewithwill/
feel free to sub and follow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I went from dirt bike MX to the Scrambler 1K. Was fine for a while then got bored and started modding to keep me interested. Over the winter I came to the conclusion that I just needed to get back on 2 wheels.
I sold my Scrambler a couple weeks ago and bought a YZ450F.
Iím sure Iíll be a little calmer now as compared to when I was racing but still want to be able to triple something if the opportunity presents itself.
Hard to explain, but once in your blood, itís there to stay.

2015 Polaris Scrambler XP1000
Red Bull Graphics Kit
Spider Graphix - Footwell Dacals
Mud Motorsports Gripper Seat Cover
Rogue Grille - Blk/Blk/Red
Pure Polaris Hand Warmers
Pure Polaris Thumb Warmer
GBC Grim Reaper - 26/9/14 - 26/11/14 on Hiper Sidewinder Beadlocks
All Balls Wheel Bearings FR/RR
ROX Speed FX Foot Pegs
CECCO Frame Braces FR/RR
CECCO Diff Cover
Uni Air Filter
EPI Clutch
Big Gun Exhaust
Moog SSB Upgrade W/ Custom Zerk
Powermadd Sentinel Handguards
Renthal G169 Grips

Gear
Leatt 5.5 V.05 Turbine - Helmet
Oakley Airbrake - Goggles
EVS Sport - Chest/Back Protector
OGIO Dakar - 3L Hydration Pack
Shift Recon - Pants/Jersey/Gloves
Alpinestars MXGP - Jersey
Alpinestars S-MX Air Carbon Mesh - Gloves
Alpinestars Tech 8 - Boots
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:41 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Location: Burr Oak in the summer and ride my motorcycle in FL durring the winter
Garage
Just my story

60's, I rode Cushmans, small cc Honda's then my brother came home from college with a 250 Scrambler that we rode. Off to the USAF in 1967 and out in 1971. A few years later I took a 450 Honda in trade that had been chopped, Sportster Tank, 10" over frontend, Hard tail, King and queen seat with tall sissy bar. Fun bike but with two little one and having to pay a babysitter to ride it had to go. My 20-30's, Kawasaki 125 enduro, 250 Yamaha Enduro, 360 Yamaha enduro, YZ 80 with over bore kit for the son and of course a mini trail 50. Then didn't ride again until early 50's when a friend had a XR 650 Honda dirt bike for sale, I rode it for 20 min. and that was enough for me to realize I was too old to fling my body around on it and the bikes had changed soo much. I did get back on two wheels in 2004 with a 750 Shadow, then 1800 VTX, and then I had back sugery sold the bike. Got back on a Maxi scooter 400 Yamaha, built a 1200 HD trike (hated the ride) back to a VTX 1800 then 1300 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe (loved the air ride and electronic cruise) but a heavy bike, 650 Bergman scooter. 125 Taotao for the grandson and then a 330 Trail Boss, 1200 Honda Shadow (two wheels again), 500HO Scrambler. Now at 71 yrs. I'm getting off the two wheels and bought a 800efi Sportsman. Having a ball.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 02:22 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I made the switch years ago.
Why, because I shattered my leg. Plate, screws, pins, severed Achilles and some nerve damage.

2012 550 EPS LE, Blue Fire
Cecco frame braces
JCCapri bushing kit
Maxxis BigHorns
Ricochet skid plates (full kit)
Polaris rear rack extender
Polaris front brush guard
Warn ProVantage 2.5k winch
AmSteel Blue synthetic winch rope
Custom billet hawse fairlead
Denali 60" mid mount plow

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in