Polaris ATV Forum banner

snow blade to dump bucket question

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Joe1982 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been beat to death, can't find much on it so far.
What would it take to make this bucket work with this 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI that came with a blade from the dealer ? https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200150824_200150824 NOTE: Very light loads, a few wood chips now and then on an irregular basis. Yes I know there are better options for reliability but for what I will do on rare occasion, I will take my chances. Does anyone know if this comes ready to snap on and go like the blade attachment, pictured, or do I need to unbolt the blade from its mounting bracket and attach the bucket ? And it is going to take welding, fab work ? Thanks for any insight. I am really not interested in purchasing the Swisher hardware that runs under the machine with a leaf spring it if I don't have to for this type of work. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
While it appears that the bucket is designed to go on an ATV, it is "universal" not specific to a brand or model so I would suspect some work will be needed to get it mounted. I think your biggest drawback to this bucket system will be the lift height. It can't raise the bucket any higher than your plow would go.

There are some 3 point lift systems for ATVs that might work better for your needs.

#5 ·
if you go that route, get a suspension lockout system that eliminates the load on the shocks/struts. or be prepared to replace those when you're done.

#7 ·
they used to have a bucket system that came with it. but if you're converting something, you'll probably need to come up with something on your own. As your machine is a strut style front end, the lockout would need to go from the lower A-arm up to the upper frame, or between both A-arms under the frame if your plow system would allow for that.

#8 ·
I don't know much about these but was thinking if you might know anyone who has worn out front struts laying around that would fit that machine and they would be willing to get rid of for a good cause, I could weld a sleeve in place of the spring and that might be the answer. Unless you see a problem with that. What do you think ?

#10 ·
if you're able to do that, why not just get a tube that would fit into the top of the hub, and weld on a mount where the top of the strut would mount. then you don't need worn out anything and go to just a straight tube. no need to find worn out anything and simplify the process completely.

#9 ·
Plow Blade Warn 60" Blade 78960
Push Tubes Warn Front Mount Push Tubes 92100
Plow Mount Warn Front Mount 70968
Plow Bucket Conversion Warn Front Bucket 85133
I believe these are the parts I need to get the same setup using Warn's conversion. The bucket would be super useful to chop and move some windrows and piles after I use the truck plow. Probably need to get the HD springs F/R as well, just for the plow alone.

#11 ·
Thunderbear that sounds like a neat setup but the heavy front springs may not be enough I am learning. They make rubber dampeners that go between the coils that might help somewhat, hard for me to speculate. Polaris part number 2872655 ebay.
Great idea Thorshammer. I will look the machine over again with that in mind next time I get to where it is. I ordered the bucket and am going to fab it onto the original Polaris plow pull-and-release mount and see what happens.
If anything could go wrong, it will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.