New Primary Clutch - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

New Primary Clutch

Does anyone know....when you buy a new primary clutch does it come with the springs and weights or is it basically the tapered discs and you transfer your springs? Also, is the one-way bearing included with the clutch? I have a 2015 850.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellm View Post
Does anyone know....when you buy a new primary clutch does it come with the springs and weights or is it basically the tapered discs and you transfer your springs? Also, is the one-way bearing included with the clutch? I have a 2015 850.....
New OEM from Polaris has no springs or weights. Most new aftermarket are complete and ready to install.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks Polman! I just had it at dealer and they replaced clutch (UGH!!). Fixed my hard engagement issue, but I was curious when I got the old clutch back with no springs or wts. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:31 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

A lot of machines come from the factory with different spring weight setups because of the engine torque difference. So, the dealer doesn't stock many clutches pre setup. It's cheaper if you can use your existing setup.

If I'm wrong tell me so
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

As it turns, out I still have hard engagement and the low speed/idle chirp/drag noise is still there. UGH x 2! I took it straight from dealer to the trailhead.... had to come back. The noise starts when at idle in neutral or park. Goes away in gear. It gets louder after a few miles. Then it comes back when almost stopped and again when start moving until it gets a little speed. They replaced the primary clutch and said it was fixed. But now it’s louder than before. Clutch engagement is the same.....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellm View Post
As it turns, out I still have hard engagement and the low speed/idle chirp/drag noise is still there. UGH x 2! I took it straight from dealer to the trailhead.... had to come back. The noise starts when at idle in neutral or park. Goes away in gear. It gets louder after a few miles. Then it comes back when almost stopped and again when start moving until it gets a little speed. They replaced the primary clutch and said it was fixed. But now it’s louder than before. Clutch engagement is the same.....
You may have other clutch issues but if you put one of these on the chirping may stop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gates-23G38...cAAOSwz4xcrguM
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Yep. I kind of thought belt so I replaced it. Then I took it to the dealer and they replaced the clutch and didn’t want to use the one I had on for .1 miles. So, I bought another new one from dealer so they could get me out for the weekend to ride. UGH
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Clutch issues continue.........anyone have advice?

Just to recap:

I started to hear a “chirping”sound at launch and as machine came to a stop (still rolling before stopped).
Chirp then when n park or neutral but not when in gear
I also had harsh engagement
I pulled the cover and could see secondary spinning in park and neutral but not when in gear.
I changed the belt and rode up and down my driveway and could still hear it at launch, almost stopped and in park or neutral
I took it to the dealer and they replaced clutch and another new belt ($$$)
They loaded it on my trailer, said it was quiet and off I went to the trailhead.
When I stopped for gas and put it in park - WOW,the noise was louder
Engagement still feels too harsh to me (jolting mechanical parts isn’t good for reliability).
So, i took it back to dealer
They said it’s “creeping” in gear so they are asking Polaris for clutch guidance.

I can see another large service bill coming my way. Ugh!

Has anyone been thru this before and have advice?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:05 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
I had a belt squeal problem that was associated with my secondary clutch. Did not hear it at idle. Only heard it around 2200 rpm. I replaced the secondary and it corrected my problem.

So, they replaced your primary clutch and belt. You are saying the secondary is spinning in park and neutral, this should not happen. Your clutches are not aligned. Very easy process on aligning the clutches by adding or removing washers under the secondary clutch bolt.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks. I also thought alignment made sense. Dealer has been working with Polaris to figure out why secondary is being engaged at idle. They are telling me 850 has fixed alignment (no shims). They said Polaris told them to put a new spring (Black) in the clutch and it will fix it. They transferred springs and weights from original clutch when they repacked it..... and said I had an orange spring so it must have been changed out before because it should have a black spring. ??? If it should have had a certain spring, the clutch should have come with the spring. Seems odd to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode