Xp 1000 rear knuckle - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Xp 1000 rear knuckle

Bit the bullet and bought new bearings for both rear knuckles so took the worse one off and easily popped out the snap ring and turned it over , found a big socket to tap the old bearing out and poof it falls out on the bench without tapping it . Hmmmm that’s weird then put the new one in place had to do a fair amount pounding to get it seated till the last half inch and then it dropped in . Put it all back together and still almost the same amount of play , bushings are tight so to my surprise the bearing is loose in the knuckle. My luck sucks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:31 PM

That don't sound good.
Did you use OEM bearings?
Had the old one frozen up and spun so that the bearing carrier is worn?
Did you use Loctite 603 retaining compound as called for in the service manual when installing?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:35 PM

Cecco racing makes steel front and rear bearing carriers if you have to replace yours.

https://ceccoracing.com/collections/polaris-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Well the locking compound sounds like a worth while option , there’s play on the other side too which was replaced by the dealer I got it from , I’ll try it !
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Loctite 603 is the stuff. It only takes a light coat. It acts as a lubricant when installing and then locks the bearing it place when dried. You need to apply a little heat to soften it for removing the old bearing next time and make sure to remove any residue from the knuckle before installing the new bearing. Same stuff used by Polaris when they are originally installed.
sportsmandan likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:44 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
I can understand using the loctite, but in his situation it seems as if the bearing carrier got rounded out or something. I don't think loctite is the right thing to use when bearings can easily fall out. Heck on my 2010 I still need to use my press to press them in an out.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf550 View Post
I can understand using the loctite, but in his situation it seems as if the bearing carrier got rounded out or something. I don't think loctite is the right thing to use when bearings can easily fall out. Heck on my 2010 I still need to use my press to press them in an out.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. The retaining compound won't FIX a worn out carrier. That's not what its for. It's used on the bearings to hold them in place from the factory and is supposed to be used when replacing them and it's released with heat. A press is definitely the preferred way to remove and install bearings. Knocking them out and in with a hammer will work in a pinch, but unless you're very careful and freeze the new bearing and use a LOT of heat on the knuckle so the old one comes out easy and the new one taps in easily, you will destroy the new bearing and possibly the knuckle. It takes a lot of finesse to do it that way. If you get too hot you'll melt the grease out and damage the new bearing and if you beat it in without heat you're gonna damage the bearing and/or the knuckle and it won't last very long either.
Gulf550 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Loctite 603 is the stuff. It only takes a light coat. It acts as a lubricant when installing and then locks the bearing it place when dried. You need to apply a little heat to soften it for removing the old bearing next time and make sure to remove any residue from the knuckle before installing the new bearing. Same stuff used by Polaris when they are originally installed.
Polman is this product harder/ better than red locktight or is it red locktight ??
reason i ask is i want to put something in lower steering stem splines as my quad now has ridiculous play in there at only 2500 miles .

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmandan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Polman is this product harder/ better than red locktight or is it red locktight ??
reason i ask is i want to put something in lower steering stem splines as my quad now has ridiculous play in there at only 2500 miles .
No Dan, the 603 is green and is labeled as a "retaining compound" rather than thread locker. It is specifically called for to install the wheel bearings. Not sure how it compares to the red thread locker?? It would probably work but I can't say. You might get on Loctite's website and see what they say about it.
Polaris calls for 620 used with a primer on the drive clutch spider threads. I just don't know what the specific properties of the different types and how they compare.

Last edited by polman500; 05-10-2019 at 05:40 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 PM

I just thought of something else Dan. The 603 is kinda thick stuff so it wouldn't run down in the crevice on the steering fix Autosport was talking about. The red would probably be better for that application.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode