WTH Plaris? - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

WTH Plaris?

We started tearing into my Sportsman1000 Touring in preparation for a trip this fall. Almost immediately we started finding multiple issues.

When I pulled the front wheels and brakes there to use my Machined Integrations Bearing Greaser there was a residue of grease on the axle and no issues were found.

The rear was a tough disassembly to get access to the Bearing Carriers. The hub and disk had to be knocked off with a dead blow hammer.

having finally beating the hubs and disks off parts failures were pretty obvious. Both axle spindles and hub assemblies were completely dry with zero evidence of having been greased on the assembly line. The Seal on the right rear was blown out and the left side bearing was destroyed.

My friend had a spare bearing in his shop and we attempted to install it but found a crack in the bearing carrier. inspecting the other carrier we found small cracks in it also.

The next day after finding all that good news we did a complete change of all the lubricants. The machine only has 749 miles but the condition of the fluids was deplorable, far darker than I would have expected. We also found deposits of fine material on all the magnetic plugs. The rear gear case was the worst. That plug had a large amount of very fine metal clung to it.

I believe the Dealer I used for the complete lubricant change at 25 miles did not do it. Having never done my own service I may be making an incorrect assumption but I thought it looked pretty bad. The picture of the drain plug is from the rear gear case.

I welcome opinions on why the failure occurred in the rear bearings and carriers. As you can see in the one bearing that completely split there was grease in the bearing. There was zero grease or grease residue on the axle.

As for the lubricants issue I am guessing I did not get the 25 hour full change that I paid for. That dealership went out of business about a year ago. By the service timer I still had 60 hours before the service was due. I am glad I found these problems now and not on the trail.

I would warn you away form that dealership but they closed last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7124.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	118065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7116.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	118067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7112.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	118069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7152.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	118071  

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

i think its more the mechanic than the dealership owner, i'm afraid while on warranty some mechanics or shop labourers only do motor oil changes and skip everything else, after my waranties were over and i did my first complete service myself all the drain plug magnets looked like yours. You just cant win !

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:22 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Pitmaster, dealerships dont usually grease wheel bearings,
some bearing last , others don't,
Polaris diff. fluids usually keep their color, thats all i have ever used with no issue so far !

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

Sportsmandan is correct. Dealerships don't grease bearings. They will only grease what has a grease zerk. And if you are 60 hours from your next service, the interval is too long! We recommend the first service at 20hrs and then every 50hrs after that. The general thought here on the forum is engine oil and filter at 50hrs and change everything every 100 hrs. Gunk on the drain plug is not that uncommon. All sorts of things end up floating around in the oil. just about every drain plug I have pulled has a collection of gunk on it. Your transmission oil starts purple so it could be darker or at least appear that way. Front diff oil and rear diff oil are different, but both start clear.

The first service is an engine oil and filter change, grease everything and check all the fluids. Add as needed but everything doesn't get changed unless you asked for it. The whole machine gets a once over looking for issues.

I am not saying the dealership did what you asked, just telling you what is usual.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427x Wheels. QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, I will try to be a little more clear. At 25-30 hours I took the machine to the dealer and paid for complete lubricant changes. I know that is a bit early for complete changes, but I was leaving on a trip.

Currently the machine has 63.6 hours with 724 miles. Doing the math that's about 11 miles an hour average. According to the service timer I still had 60 hours until my next full service. So 40 hours has elapsed since someone was paid to change all lubricants. I see that as a dealer issue because the service manager needs to know whats up in his shop. They are closed now so they must have been having multiple issues.

I know dealers do not grease bearings, my issue is with Polaris assembly folks. Why did the front axle hubs and bearings have a small amount of residual grease and the rear were bone dry?

I am thankful I have a 5 year extended warranty although a good bit of it is gone already. The machine is a 2016 I don't believe I mentioned that.

When we did the fluid changes this weekend, we did run lubricants through with the drain plugs off. They all ran out original color with no extra sludge, so that's encouraging.

Thanks again for the replies, rant over...

- Sigmund Freud
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:38 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stave7119 View Post
Sportsmandan is correct. Dealerships don't grease bearings. They will only grease what has a grease zerk. And if you are 60 hours from your next service, the interval is too long! We recommend the first service at 20hrs and then every 50hrs after that. The general thought here on the forum is engine oil and filter at 50hrs and change everything every 100 hrs. Gunk on the drain plug is not that uncommon. All sorts of things end up floating around in the oil. just about every drain plug I have pulled has a collection of gunk on it. Your transmission oil starts purple so it could be darker or at least appear that way. Front diff oil and rear diff oil are different, but both start clear.

The first service is an engine oil and filter change, grease everything and check all the fluids. Add as needed but everything doesn't get changed unless you asked for it. The whole machine gets a once over looking for issues.

I am not saying the dealership did what you asked, just telling you what is usual.
I agree, the gunk OP was referring to is what I call paste best I can tell from the picture. That's very common,what you don't want to see it chunks of metal sticking to that magnet.

Wheel bearings I've seen brand new sealed wheel bearings if you open them up with what I'd call a little smear to no grease in them. That could be tracked back to the bearing maker, not necessarily the manufacture of the ATV.

Tony

2008 Polaris Sportsman 500HO EFI Touring AWD
Pearl White/Silver
PowerMadd Handgurds/PM Mirrors

2005 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 Auto
Raider Cargo Rear Storage Box
Power Madd Hand Guards/ PM Mirrors
UNI Air Filter
Deestone Swamp Witch ATV Mudd Tires
Yamaha Raptor 660 Petcock Mod

2008 Arctic Cat 650 H1 TRV 4x4
(SOLD: Dealership Buy Back)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:22 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
I'd say the manufacture is responsible for all the parts they purchase, and use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Texas Tony View Post

Wheel bearings I've seen brand new sealed wheel bearings if you open them up with what I'd call a little smear to no grease in them. That could be tracked back to the bearing maker, not necessarily the manufacture of the ATV.

Tony
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:55 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlyA View Post
I'd say the manufacture is responsible for all the parts they purchase, and use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Texas Tony View Post

Tony
I agree it would be the manufacture of the ATV responsibility. Like I said I've seen sealed bearings that you would think you are good to go with that the majority of people will not open up to check having little to no grease in them.

Tony

2008 Polaris Sportsman 500HO EFI Touring AWD
Pearl White/Silver
PowerMadd Handgurds/PM Mirrors

2005 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 Auto
Raider Cargo Rear Storage Box
Power Madd Hand Guards/ PM Mirrors
UNI Air Filter
Deestone Swamp Witch ATV Mudd Tires
Yamaha Raptor 660 Petcock Mod

2008 Arctic Cat 650 H1 TRV 4x4
(SOLD: Dealership Buy Back)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
the gunk OP was referring to is what I call paste best I can tell from the picture. That's very common,what you don't want to see it chunks of metal sticking to that magnet
Paste is a good description for the rear gear case. The other plugs had much smaller amounts of a very fine residue. When you say it is conman, is this to be expected at all lubricant changes or just the first few? Again thanks for the comments and information. This is our first new machine and the first time I have dived into turning wrenches.

- Sigmund Freud
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:27 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
I go over board sometimes doing the services on my atvs. After every ride, doesn't matter if it's trails or mud, I take a day to clean it and re-grease the bushing, I set the hour meter for when I need to do my next service, but not matter how much time I have left, I always do a full service every 6 months, grease bearings, pull the a arms aparts and clean the bushings and regrease them and more. I'm sure there are better cheaper methods but I enjoy it and it keeps me in tune with my atv. As far as the paste goes, my diffs and transmission drain plugs has a very light coating on them everytime I change it. Nothing to the extreme as what you had in the picture.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode