Checking Out The AWD That's For Sale - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Checking Out The AWD That's For Sale

I've been looking for a good used Polaris Sportsman 500 HO Touring AWD/4X4. I have one in mind I'm suppose to go look at Tuesday morning, it's a 2008 year model 500HO Touring. I guess my question is how to go about checking to make sure the AWD/4X4 is working like it should be?

If I'm understanding this AWD on the Polaris it does not engage fully until the back tires start to spin or do I have that all wrong IDK?

I'm thinking the place where I'm going to look at this 500 will have a vacant lot next to it to try out the ATV, but it's been raining a lot in my area. There again the owner/seller has this thing like show room condition right now (cleaned up nice).

I'm not to knowledgeable with the Polaris Sportsman because I've never owned one before. I'm getting there little by little though lol. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Tony

2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO EFI Touring AWD
Color: Pearl White/Silver Trim
PowerMadd Handguards/PM Mirrors
SuperATV Front & Rear Tube Brush/Bumper Guards (Wrinkle Black)

2005 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 Auto
Color: Red
Raider Cargo Rear Storage Box
Power Madd Hand Guards/ PM Mirrors
UNI Air Filter
Deestone Swamp Witch ATV Mud Tires
Yamaha Raptor 660 Petcock Mod

2008 Arctic Cat 650 H1 TRV 4x4
Color: Black
(SOLD: Dealership Buy Back, ( a heck of a story)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:07 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Correct, the front does not engage till rear spin is detected.
I think there is a mode (on my 2005 anyway) in diagnostics that shows if the resistance is correct for awd system but I'm not positive on that. In 14 years I have never had an issue with the 4wd not working when needed.
Good Luck and enjoy
T. Texas Tony likes this.

Protect the 2nd Amendment; it's the original homeland security act!
Bio fuel is the future; bring it home to the American farmer.
2005 Polaris 400 4x4
frt/rear rack extenders
Warn winch
front/rear bumpers
temp gauge
reverse light mod
heel clicker kit
lock-n-ride windshield
lock-n-ride gun scabbard
lock-n-ride rear hard box + side bags full of whatever I might never need, plus

Occasionally chased by a small trailer with more camping gear... good grief

2002 Trailboss 325
Front storage box
Rear storage bag...

I'm ready for a

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Texas Tony View Post
I've been looking for a good used Polaris Sportsman 500 HO Touring AWD/4X4. I have one in mind I'm suppose to go look at Tuesday morning, it's a 2008 year model 500HO Touring. I guess my question is how to go about checking to make sure the AWD/4X4 is working like it should be?

If I'm understanding this AWD on the Polaris it does not engage fully until the back tires start to spin or do I have that all wrong IDK?

I'm thinking the place where I'm going to look at this 500 will have a vacant lot next to it to try out the ATV, but it's been raining a lot in my area. There again the owner/seller has this thing like show room condition right now (cleaned up nice).

I'm not to knowledgeable with the Polaris Sportsman because I've never owned one before. I'm getting there little by little though lol. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Tony
The only REAL way to check a machine out thoroughly is to get all four wheels off the ground Tony. Then you can wiggle the wheels to check bearings, bushings, tie rods etc. for play. Start it up while lifted so you can put it in gear and try the AWD functioning. While running and in gear, flip the AWD switch give it a little fuel and when the rears start to turn the fronts should catch smoothly and turn as well. Flip the switch off and it should disengage smoothly so the fronts stop turning. Try it in reverse too. AWD should only work in R when you press the yellow reverse override button on the left handlebar. That's a safety feature.
Ask the seller if he has an atv jack to get all 4's off the ground or should you bring one with you. You can use a floor jack and jack stands to accomplish the same thing but you MUST get all 4 wheels off the ground. If he wants to sell the machine and has nothing to hide he shouldn't care a bit. You can't really tell much about one just riding it around a parking lot other than if it starts and stops good, the lights work and it doesn't make any strange noises. You MUST wear old clothes, get dirty, put hands-on, use a bright flashlight and get down to look CLOSELY at everything.
In addition to the things above, look for leaks, axle boots torn, bent stuff, frame cracks, wires frayed or cobbled up, etc. Also pull the seat off and check the air filter first thing. A nasty air filter is a clear sign that other maintenance is probably lacking too no matter how clean the exterior is. Ask about maintenance/repair records if any. Most guys that REALLY take care of a machine will have records because that's the only way to keep track of what's been done. If service was done by a dealer you can take the VIN to any dealership and they can pull all the records on the computer. You might ask about that on the phone beforehand and get the VIN from the seller to check it out before you go.
After a thorough inspection I then take the seller's price and deduct the cost of correcting any problems I found and make an offer based on that. Bushings and bearings are around a couple hundred dollars for each end of the machine. Tie rods about $100. Brakes about the same. Ball joints about the same. Tires around $400-$500 according to what you buy. And of course those estimates are for ME doing the repairs. I think most shops now charge anywhere from $80-$100+ per hour for labor and a big markup on parts so you need to consider that in your calculations. You also need to consider any accessories he's added and allow some reasonable credit back for things like winch, storage, aftermarket tires/wheels, rack extenders, etc.
Check the estimated blue book value through Kelley Blue Book and NADA online so you know a ballpark value before you go. Print them out and take with you. He probably has and that gets both seller and buyer on the same page. Educate yourself before you go and you should both leave satisfied with the deal you've made.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
ragdude, FPD218 and T. Texas Tony like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Texas Tony View Post

Tony
The only REAL way to check a machine out thoroughly is to get all four wheels off the ground Tony. Then you can wiggle the wheels to check bearings, bushings, tie rods etc. for play. Start it up while lifted so you can put it in gear and try the AWD functioning. While running and in gear, flip the AWD switch give it a little fuel and when the rears start to turn the fronts should catch smoothly and turn as well. Flip the switch off and it should disengage smoothly so the fronts stop turning. Try it in reverse too. AWD should only work in R when you press the yellow reverse override button on the left handlebar. That's a safety feature.
Ask the seller if he has an atv jack to get all 4's off the ground or should you bring one with you. You can use a floor jack and jack stands to accomplish the same thing but you MUST get all 4 wheels off the ground. If he wants to sell the machine and has nothing to hide he shouldn't care a bit. You can't really tell much about one just riding it around a parking lot other than if it starts and stops good, the lights work and it doesn't make any strange noises. You MUST wear old clothes, get dirty, put hands-on, use a bright flashlight and get down to look CLOSELY at everything.
In addition to the things above, look for leaks, axle boots torn, bent stuff, frame cracks, wires frayed or cobbled up, etc. Also pull the seat off and check the air filter first thing. A nasty air filter is a clear sign that other maintenance is probably lacking too no matter how clean the exterior is. Ask about maintenance/repair records if any. Most guys that REALLY take care of a machine will have records because that's the only way to keep track of what's been done. If service was done by a dealer you can take the VIN to any dealership and they can pull all the records on the computer. You might ask about that on the phone beforehand and get the VIN from the seller to check it out before you go.
After a thorough inspection I then take the seller's price and deduct the cost of correcting any problems I found and make an offer based on that. Bushings and bearings are around a couple hundred dollars for each end of the machine. Tie rods about $100. Brakes about the same. Ball joints about the same. Tires around $400-$500 according to what you buy. And of course those estimates are for ME doing the repairs. I think most shops now charge anywhere from $80-$100+ per hour for labor and a big markup on parts so you need to consider that in your calculations. You also need to consider any accessories he's added and allow some reasonable credit back for things like winch, storage, aftermarket tires/wheels, rack extenders, etc.
Check the estimated blue book value through Kelley Blue Book and NADA online so you know a ballpark value before you go. Print them out and take with you. He probably has and that gets both seller and buyer on the same page. Educate yourself before you go and you should both leave satisfied with the deal you've made.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
First off thanks guys for the replies. I've been riding ATV's for a good while and I've owned different brands of ATV's ,but I've never owned a Polaris. I am by no means a expert or expert mechanic lol. I'd say I'm a shade tree mechanic you might say, lol.

You answered my question though on the AWD by jacking it up with all four wheels off the ground. I've done that before with other 4x4 Atv's to check out and see if the 4x4 was working correctly. I just didn't know if you could do the same with the Polaris AWD. In my mind I was thinking the rear tire had to have a slip ground contact spin and then the AWD sense's that and then engages to the front axles to turn them.

I do have a ATV floor jack myself in my shop, but this place I'm going to sells new and used motorcyles,Atv's SXS,scooters.etc. It's not necessarily a dealership like Polaris,Honda,Suzuki, but they have a large assortment of pristine used stock. Kind of like they specialize in only buying very clean used stock. The ATV I'm looking at 2008 model has just little over 70 hr's and little over 700 miles on the odometer. They supplied 30 plus picture's of the ATV and a video with it running. They have pointed out every bit of damage on the ATV in the pictures and the video,which is very minimal damage that I can see.

I've really already negotiated a out the door deal over the phone on price if everything checks out alright. Like I said if everything looks good to me. Seller says no problem.

Before I go look at it I will ask the guy if I need to bring my ATV jack, I'd bet he say's we have one. Thank you again for the clarification on the AWD for the Polaris.

Hopefully this is the one because I'm tired of looking already lol.

Tony

UNI Air Filter

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:02 AM

Yeah, lot of folks think there's some sort of sensor that detects slip and engages AWD... Nothing could be further from the truth. Its a simple electromechanical Hilliard system. In in simplest terms, when the rear wheels outrun the front (slip or turn faster) no matter if in the air or in a mudhole, the front engages. As soon as the relative speeds of the F/R match again it disengages. That's why the call it "On Demand". AWD is only engaged when needed because the rears have slipped. Otherwise its still running in 2wd even though the switch is turned on. The switch only arms the system to work when needed. If everything is working correctly you'll hardly ever even notice it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:47 AM

http://www.fixya.com/atvs/t18679179-...ris_550_xp_eps
This is the post I referenced when I went to buy the 11 sportsman 550 xp I have now. It seemed to work for me, all my stuff works.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Well this 2 hr trip to look at the 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500HO Touring paid off. I ended up purchasing it and the good thing is it came with a clean title that I'm to receive in the mail. The ATV had 77 hrs and 769 miles showing . Who ever had it took very good care of it from what I could see. I did carry my ATV jack along and jacked it up to test out the AWD and it all seemed to be working properly like it should. I'll probably be asking you guys questions on different things about the ATV over the next few weeks to be more familer with the bike. This is my first Polaris Sportsman.

PearlWhite/Silver.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5cde09a4fde0515fc87efc89.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	118229   Click image for larger version

Name:	5cde09a4161f635a8b7f99d2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	118231   Click image for larger version

Name:	5cde09a4277dec7e9451316b.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	118233   Click image for larger version

Name:	5cde09a4b90da04661229f0b.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	118235   Click image for larger version

Name:	5cde09a47b22cb6afc4d781e.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	118237  

UNI Air Filter

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:48 AM

Good looking machine!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Good looking machine!
Thanks polman500, the next thing on the list is to order front and rear tube bumpers for it. They are a must have especially since last year when I had the Arctic Cat 650 that already had tube bumpers installed I'm sold on having bumpers.

My BIL not paying attention hit us me and the wife pretty dang hard in the rear end with his 05 Polaris Sportsman 700 while we was out trail riding. It embarrassed him pretty bad when he done that, but thank God that tube bumper was there to protect or it would have really messed up the rear plastic, muffler, and taillight on that Arctic Cat 650. My wife was giving her brother a hard time about that,that day.

Tony

UNI Air Filter

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:05 AM

Good to hear. Hope you enjoy your machine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode